Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Post The Ascalon Wizard Tower

The Ascalon Wizard Tower

We know very few things about the Pre-Searing “Ascalon Wizard Tower” in “Wizard’s Folly”. Aziure one of the Ascalon Elementalist trainers is doing her research for “Ward against Harm” at the base of the tower.
    It’s strange, “green” look does not fit the design of the rest of the Ascalon society, but the top of the tower looks very similar to the “Ascalon Academy” (left on my first picture). In the midsection of the tower there could be windows like in the Academy building, but they could also only be ornaments.

Strangely enough, the tower is chained to some rocks, like the “Krytan Wizards Tower” that Galrath wanted to get into. If you take a look at the Krytan tower from “Fisherman’s Haven”, you can see the chains. But those chains are tied to floating rocks as well. The Ascalon Tower is firmly set to the ground.

There is some sort of “entry way” in the east-west axis of the tower, but no visible entrance. The base of the Tower has a very untypical curved structure that I have seen before in the Crystal Desert. In Prophet’s Path is an area with “mad” Minotaur. Several structures that look like the base of the Ascalon Tower can be found here. (see the second picture)

If there is a tower without an entrance, how do you get inside? When going back to “Augury Rock” I took a closer look at the slender pillars and thought… could they have used some sort of teleporters? (first picture to the right)

But this is not the end of the mystery surrounding the Ascalon Wizard Tower. Around the tower, to both sides of the paths leading to the base are two slender pillars, that look like fossilized trees and not like stone. I have seen those as well on my journeys… In “Talmark Wilderness” in Kryta. There is a strange circle of those pillars in the NW corner of the area, usually guarded by some Imps. There is no structure there, the circle is much smaller and there are runes on the pillars.
    But wait… I did find an “arrow” like rune on some of the Ascalon Tower pillars, too. (See picture three).

I was just about to leave the Ascalon Wizard Tower when a hammer wielding “Tower Golem” approached me. Doesn’t it look very familiar? I think the “Enchanted Hammers” commanded by the Forgotten in the Crystal Desert look exactly like them. And every good researcher must have seen the similarities between those an the enigmatic Mursaat!

There are a lot more questions than answers in this summary of my findings, but other members of the Tyrian Academy of Science are welcome to share their thoughts.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Some excellent research here,Gorani! i gonna think this article over-its really misterious)especially the mursaat connections.

Perhaps it served some purpose during the Guild Wars or constructed by whoever constructed the floating Krytan Wizard tower. Since the name of the area is Wizards Folly I would guess something involving the lord of the tower would have happened there.

There is much strange out of place things you can discover in the catacombs as well. This could indicate that there was some ancient civilisation in Ascalon before the Ascalonians moved in.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Well, we know the Mursaat are spellcasters, and we know that they, at some point in time, may have been human, so perhaps they were an ancient race of wizards that managed to expand their form to their current state.

The tower in Kryta was built by Lord Odrin, the person who first opened the way to the Rift. However, I long suspected that Odrin was a Mursaat, though I can't substantiate that. Also, in the Manuscripts, it describes Odrin's opening of the Rift as "his biggest folly", so I always assumed "Wizard's Folly" refered to the Wizard Lord Odrin and his folly.

Just my input, far from a conclusion.

When reviewing some snapshots forgotten in an old shoebox unopened since before the searing, I found a pretty good picture showing the tower golem in better detail.

Hope this helps some others.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    My my, that looks an awful lot like a Mursaat, and yet, it looks different as well. Are we looking at the ancient humanoid form of the Mursaat before their Ascension?

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius
    My my, that looks an awful lot like a Mursaat, and yet, it looks different as well. Are we looking at the ancient humanoid form of the Mursaat before their Ascension?
    perhaps the armor of a high-ranking pre-ascension Mursaat? thus explaining the difference from enchanted armors.

also, small correction but it's Lord Odran, not Odrin (to avoid possible confusion)
    Last edited by theEnhance; 24-02-2006 at 02:29.

Well I suppose it could be one of Odrin's towers. Maybe its real purpose was for teleportation between places with similar runes engraved in stones or call upon their power?

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Nice job!

I wasn't ready to fully present my case but I've mentioned in other threads I've felt that human civilization was much more advanced but somehow lost their knowledge. Those towers are part of my arguement.

Mmm I just looked at my screenies of shadow troops in FoW but they don't look like this golem.

The fact that it is called a "golem" indicates to me that this is a fabrication, an automaton, as has been mentioned that the enchanteds in the desert may be.

It's possible that this golem was animated some long time before and merely was a remnant of a powerful guard system. There's also the possibility that the magics that animate this golem may also re-animate it to face the successive elementalist challengers.