PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 133
  1. #41
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Quintus Antonius's Avatar
    Server

    Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

    Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Posts

    8,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Seissor
    I'm just throwing this in as a 0.o what if?

    But. Glint's a dragon, rotscale and those others...dragons. Do dragons share a common alliance due to their race? Why did the other dragons rot away, tick off the gods?
    The Vizier cast a spell that turned Orr into a pool and all its people into "ebil a-T-bieruss a-zombees".

    Quote Originally Posted by Seissor

    I think it odd Glint's the only dragon in Tyria with flesh on the bone.
    She wasn't caught in the Orrian Cataclysm, and we don't know she is, remember, there are eggs in her lair, that suggests there is at least, or was at least, one male dragon somewhere.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

  2. #42
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Cyberman's Avatar
    Server

    Piken Square
    Guild

    WHGT
    Posts

    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius
    remember, there are eggs in her lair, that suggests there is at least, or was at least, one male dragon somewhere.
    Perhaps shes a hermaphrodite?
    The gods themselves created her, so perhaps there never was another like her(?) planned.
    I think Ive read somewhere that a species of insects has females that can reproduce without males, if necessary - essentially creating clones of themselves.
    Might be the same here. That way, Glint could be near immortal too, and yet be able to die.

    Now that I think of it - this *could* solve the mission-bonus problem.
    If these eggs are, lets say cloning vats, in truth, then one got activated as soon as we killed her, giving "birth" to the next (copy/clone of) Glint.
    Far-fetched, I know, but might work. ?

  3. #43
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Quintus Antonius's Avatar
    Server

    Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

    Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Posts

    8,751
    I don't think Glint would be so defensive of her young if she were asexual, because she could just produce more.

    The Discovery Channel had a special on hypothetical dragons based on mythos and known animals of similar characteristics (dinosaurs, birds, modern lizards). They concluded that dragons would have very long gestation periods as well as very rare mating cycles. In other words, dragons live long because they only mate every ten years or so, and produce very few young, which is why the species was slowly dying.

    I don't believe Glint is asexual. She is rather big to be asexual, and also doesn't have the biological make-up of an asexual creature. Asexualism usually only happens in small creatures because, while it promotes rapid population growth, it also weakens the gene pool of the species.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius
    The Vizier cast a spell that turned Orr into a pool and all its people into "ebil a-T-bieruss a-zombees".
    Erm...Is this meant to be humorous? Also, I saw that special on the Discovery Channel too and if that's similar to the dragons in Tyria that would definitely explain why Glint may be the last dragon alive in Tyria.

  5. #45
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Quintus Antonius's Avatar
    Server

    Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

    Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Posts

    8,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmr Leon
    Erm...is this meant to be humorous? Also,I saw that special on the discovery channel too and if that's similar to the dragons in Tyria that would definitely explain why Glint may be the last dragon alive in Tyria.
    Yeah, but you'd have to have seen The Decline of Video Gaming II flash movie. At one point, the director of Capcom, who has a very pronunced Japanese accent says how he will get them with his evil T-virus zombies, and that's how it sounds. So yeah, what I was saying there was "evil T-virus zombies" which is a reference to the Resident Evil series' zombies.

    I do believe the Discovery Channel's special was a good piece of scientific-fiction (not science fiction, mind you). They based it off of known things and just applied the mythical element, much like we do here in the Lore Forum, which is why I referenced the program.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Santax
    Turai Ossa mentions that his people "foolishly thought they were the ones spoken of in the Flameseeker Prophecies".
    This... is a very interesting bit of information, because it gives us a possible timeframe to work with when trying to work out when the Elonians arrived in the Crystal Desert.

    In the Dragon's Lair mission, Glint mentions that it was almost 300 years ago when she first foresaw the Flameseeker Prophecies. If the Elonians knew about the Flameseeker Prophecies and used that as their impetus to come to the Crystal Desert in an attempt to Ascend, that means the Elonians must have arrived in the Crystal Desert somewhere between 1402 AE and possibly as late as 1650 AE. (For reference, the current year is 1072 AE).

    Other civilians in the desert speak of the Elonians as some ancient settlers, but remember that to humans, a hundred years or more is already considered very old.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius
    Asexualism usually only happens in small creatures because, while it promotes rapid population growth, it also weakens the gene pool of the species.
    Sort of. It doesn't weaken the gene pool per se, but rather limits availability of new genes. If Glint has no hereditary diseases before hand (and we can assume that, having been made by the Gods, she doesn't), she wouldn't develop any genetic problems except through random genetic fluctuation.
    I disagree about her being asexual, as there are other dragons in tyria (namely the bone dragons), as well as whole areas to the north of Kryta and Maguma that we haven't (can't) explored yet. Yes, there are asexual species out there, but obligatory asexualism is almost exclusively limited to monocellular animals. Animals such as aphids, some hymenoptera, and some lizards display facultative asexualism: they can undergo parthenogenesis if no males are present. However, if a male is present, they will mate. Also, if Glint's physiology is based on that of reptiles, then changing the temperature of her eggs can drastically effect the gender of the hatchling. So if she wanted an equal ratio of male and female Dragonlets, she'd only need to do a little Water Magic/Fire Magic balancing. Since it'd be in her best genetic interest to mix up her gene pool, she'd probably want to have at least some males in her offspring.
    I also disagree about the cloning idea. Despite the theory made popular in Sixth Day, a clone does not retain the memories of the cloned organism. Simply cloning herself into eggs would produce helpless, baby dragons without the knowledge and wisdom that Glint has procured over the years.

    Lastly, does anyone have any comments on the fact that her eggs look crystaline? It was said that she made her home inside a single grain of sand, not that she was partly made of sand or anything like that, so I'd like to propose that she covers her eggs magically with some sort of extra casing that basically puts them in suspended animation, so that her little cave won't be filled with huge numbers of little dragons running around and eating whatever it is she eats (which is...?).

  8. #48
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Quintus Antonius's Avatar
    Server

    Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

    Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Posts

    8,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxares
    This... is a very interesting bit of information, because it gives us a possible timeframe to work with when trying to work out when the Elonians arrived in the Crystal Desert.

    In the Dragon's Lair mission, Glint mentions that it was almost 300 years ago when she first foresaw the Flameseeker Prophecies. If the Elonians knew about the Flameseeker Prophecies and used that as their impetus to come to the Crystal Desert in an attempt to Ascend, that means the Elonians must have arrived in the Crystal Desert somewhere between 1402 AE and possibly as late as 1650 AE. (For reference, the current year is 1072 AE).

    Other civilians in the desert speak of the Elonians as some ancient settlers, but remember that to humans, a hundred years or more is already considered very old.
    I think you have your timeframes wrong. 1402 AE and beyond would be AFTER the current time. After Exodus or AE measures time since the Old Gods left Tyria, similar to how Anno Dominai (AD) and Common Era (CE) measures time since the birth of Christ. The only instance of increasing numbers as time moves backwards would be BE (Before Exodus), like BC (Before Christ) or BCE (Before Common Era).

    Still, your point is correct. I believe the Elonians existed in the Crystal Desert about 200 years ago. I'm not sure where I'm pulling that number from, but I think it is cited in game somewhere.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius
    I think you have your timeframes wrong. 1402 AE and beyond would be AFTER the current time. After Exodus or AE measures time since the Old Gods left Tyria, similar to how Anno Dominai (AD) and Common Era (CE) measures time since the birth of Christ. The only instance of increasing numbers as time moves backwards would be BE (Before Exodus), like BC (Before Christ) or BCE (Before Common Era).

    Still, your point is correct. I believe the Elonians existed in the Crystal Desert about 200 years ago. I'm not sure where I'm pulling that number from, but I think it is cited in game somewhere.
    Whoops! I made a typo with the date of reference. The current date (according to the Prophecies Manuscripts) is 1702 AE, not 1072 AE as I wrote in my original post.

  10. #50
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Quintus Antonius's Avatar
    Server

    Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

    Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Posts

    8,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaxares
    Whoops! I made a typo with the date of reference. The current date (according to the Prophecies Manuscripts) is 1702 AE, not 1072 AE as I wrote in my original post.
    No worries, I should've noticed your date error, but didn't. I didn't double check your assumed date because I have faith in your posting abilities, Zax.

    See, let's all learn a valuable lesson from this. Science based on assumptions, regardless of who or what they are based on, is science doomed to fail!
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •