PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rit concept - The Weaponsmith

Reading the Explosive Minionmaster threads inspired me to try to come up with more ideas for decent PvE builds for a primary Ritualist. I started looking at the weapon spells, mainly because they are new and unique. Playing around a bit, I came up with the following build. I don't think this is good enough yet to be a solid build, so I'm calling it a concept for now. But I wanted to get some feedback, so here goes:

The Weaponsmith

Ritualist/Mesmer

Channeling Magic: 16 (12+4)
    Communing: 10 (9+1)
    Inspiration Magic: 9

Nightmare Weapon (Channeling Magic)
    For 12 seconds, target ally has a Nightmare Weapon. Target ally's next successful attack steals up to 53 Health.
    Energy:5 Cast:1 Recharge:10

Brutal Weapon (Communing)
    Give target ally a Brutal Weapon for 15 seconds. The bearer's weapon strikes for +12 damage as long as the bearer is under no Enchantments.
    Energy:10 Cast:1 Recharge:15

Splinter Weapon (Channeling Magic)
    For 63 seconds, target ally has a Splinter Weapon. Target ally's next successful attack deals 53 damage to all adjacent foes.
    Energy:10 Cast:1 Recharge:10

Wailing Weapon (Channeling Magic)
    For 11 seconds, target ally has a Wailing Weapon. Whenever the Wailing Weapon strikes an attacking foe, that foe is interrupted.
    Energy:10 Cast:1 Recharge:30

Ancestors' Rage (Channeling Magic)
    All foes adjacent to target ally are struck for 106 lightning damage.
    Energy:5 Cast:2 Recharge:8

Channeled Strike (Channeling Magic)
    Target foe is struck for 101 lightning damage. That foe takes an additional 37 lightning damage if you are holding an item.
    Energy:10 Cast:2 Recharge:12

Mantra of Recall [Elite] (Inspiration Magic)
    For 20 seconds, you gain no benefit from it. You gain 22 Energy when Mantra of Recall ends.
    Energy:10 Cast:1 Recharge:20

Flesh of my Flesh (Restoration Magic)
    Lose half of your Health. Resurrect target ally with your current Health and 5% Energy.
    Energy:5 Cast:5 Recharge:0

The idea is to have two allies, a warrior and a ranger, although it would probably work with a warriors and assassin or two warriors as well. Let the warrior aggro, throw Brutal on one of your allies (probably the warrior), and Nightmare on the other. Then follow up with Ancestor's Rage for some nice AoE. Rinse and repeat, alternating Splinter/Nightmare. Nightmare can also be used in lieu of Brutal when someone is running enchants or just needs the extra health buff, and Channeled Strike can be used as a nice finisher. The recharge on Brutal Weapon is short enough that it can be kept up constantly (barring energy issues). Wailing Weapon is like Spinal Shivers without the energy penalty -- nice versus casters and warrior bosses.

I chose mesmer as a secondary for the energy recovery, but I'm not sure if you really need to devote your Elite to energy management. I think you'd have to run the build a bit to find out.

Anyway, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the idea.

It looks very promising, thank you for this concept! The weapons will just have to be tested when the game comes out to see its full effect. Ancestor's Rage is an excellent skill, and I think it will be a staple in any Channeling magic builds. I have one suggestion though, being that for channeled strike, you are missing an item to hold. Mighty was Vorizun might help you in terms of armor and energy management (+20 energy).

Like you said, Mesmer skills are perfect for energy management, so I think Mantra of Recall is fine. I just think maybe a ranger could possibly work out as well. With serpents quickness, all your weapon skills will be more spammable, as faster recharge is always nice. You might even be able to take out Channeled Strike for Troll Unguent, for self-preservation reasons.

Or if you want to stay with the Mesmer Secondary, there is always Energy Drain which is nice. And, you never know if there are any nice Mesmer Inspiration Skills in faction!

Kudos to you, and good luck constructing a build! I'm trying my hands now on a Rit/Ranger, and it seems rather fun

It's just me, but I don't like battery builds. Mostly, I don't like builds which require other builds in PvE. But that's just me. Other than that, it looks like a solid build.

Instead of taking Inspiration, I would run Spawning, and bring Pain and Bloodsong. Then, the build is now independant. Attuned was Songkai would replace Mantra of Recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Geishe
    It looks very promising, thank you for this concept! The weapons will just have to be tested when the game comes out to see its full effect. Ancestor's Rage is an excellent skill, and I think it will be a staple in any Channeling magic builds. I have one suggestion though, being that for channeled strike, you are missing an item to hold. Mighty was Vorizun might help you in terms of armor and energy management (+20 energy).
    Ah... I thought "item" was a weapon or an off-hand and specifically not ashes or some such -- guess I had it backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis Shadowhawk
    It's just me, but I don't like battery builds. Mostly, I don't like builds which require other builds in PvE. But that's just me. Other than that, it looks like a solid build.).
    Well, I think you'll rarely find a situation when you don't have a tank, but point taken. I actually love builds where I'm doing indirect damage -- maybe that's why I like to monk, BM and MM so much...

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis Shadowhawk
    Instead of taking Inspiration, I would run Spawning, and bring Pain and Bloodsong. Then, the build is now independant. Attuned was Songkai would replace Mantra of Recall.
    Due to my misunderstanding, now Attuned is even better -- I'll definitely go that route, although I deliberately avoided spirits due to their stationary nature. During my PvP time, I found them very frustrating, although the ones that don't rely on the aggro circle could be quite useful.

Here we go with "take 2":

The Weaponsmith
    Ritualist/X
    Level: 20

Spawning Power: 7 (6+1)
    Channeling Magic: 16 (12+4)
    Communing: 12 (11+1)

Brutal Weapon (Communing)
    Give target ally a Brutal Weapon for 17 seconds. The bearer's weapon strikes for +13 damage as long as the bearer is under no Enchantments.
    Energy:10 Cast:1 Recharge:15

Splinter Weapon (Channeling Magic)
    For 63 seconds, target ally has a Splinter Weapon. Target ally's next successful attack deals 53 damage to all adjacent foes.
    Energy:10 Cast:1 Recharge:10

Wailing Weapon (Channeling Magic)
    For 11 seconds, target ally has a Wailing Weapon. Whenever the Wailing Weapon strikes an attacking foe, that foe is interrupted.
    Energy:10 Cast:1 Recharge:30

Ancestors' Rage (Channeling Magic)
    All foes adjacent to target ally are struck for 106 lightning damage.
    Energy:5 Cast:2 Recharge:8

Channeled Strike (Channeling Magic)
    Target foe is struck for 101 lightning damage. That foe takes an additional 37 lightning damage if you are holding an item.
    Energy:10 Cast:2 Recharge:12

Shelter (Communing)
    Create a level 8 spirit. Allies within its range cannot lose more than 10% maximum Health from a single attack. When this spirit prevents damage, it loses 36 Health. This spirit lasts 54 seconds.
    Energy:10 Cast:5 Recharge:60

Attuned Was Songkai [Elite] (Spawning Power)
    Hold Songkai's ashes for up to 45 seconds. While you hold her ashes, your spells cost 26% less Energy to cast.
    Energy:10 Cast:2 Recharge:60

Flesh of my Flesh (Restoration Magic)
    Lose half of your Health. Resurrect target ally with your current Health and 6% Energy.
    Energy:5 Cast:5 Recharge:0

As Artemis suggested I went with Spawning Power and Attuned was Songkai. I added Shelter, since it's a nice buffer for the team (being the support player that I am) and I felt like I had to have a least one spirit if I was going to use Spawing Power.

I put Spawning Power at 7, since I'm assuming that the spell works like Expertise, and the energy costs round. If that's the case, the breakpoints for the energy 10 spells (almost all mine are) are 1, 4, 7, 11, 14, 17.

As an alternative, I could dump Communing completely for Restoration and swap out Brutal for Nightmare and Shelter for Mend Body and Soul or Recuperation, but I don't like this nearly as much.

Thats looking well. But to tell you the truth, I don't like shelter, especially since you will be moving a lot. With your weapon spells, you are expecting to be able to hit fast and hard with Splinter Weapon to spread the damage. If you are focusing on staying in one spot and supporting, I suggest you take Spirit Burn or Essence Strike for Independent damage and making Shelter a tad more useful.

Attuned was Songkai is amazing, it really is. The only downfall is that, you HAVE to be Ritualist to use it effectively. Well, better for us, Ritualist-Enthusiasts!

I have to admit that I tend to agree with you about Shelter -- it's passive, situational, and stationary -- that's a lot of cons. I think I may go back to one of my original skills that I took out: Spirit Rift. It's slow (5 seconds), but it's sort of like an AoE Wastrel's Worry that you can't stop.

I think this is going to be my final build until I get a change to try some things -- just over two weeks to go!

Looks like quite a neat build: I do agree with Artemis that playing "battery" builds isn't everyone's idea of fun but when played well they can be quite effective. I can't see any huge ground breaking flaws with your build. However your only spawning power is a skill for energy management so this build might work with a different primary if you want it to.

OffTopic:
    I like the "Flesh of My Flesh" skill maybe that will make the rezmer build after realease. So abuseable during BWE to res through Frozen Soil

Here's the build I would run:

Attuned was Songkai
    Nightmare Weapon
    Splinter Weapon
    Brutal Weapon
    Channeled Strike
    Pain
    Blood Song
    Flesh of my Flesh

Quote Originally Posted by dfscott
    I have to admit that I tend to agree with you about Shelter -- it's passive, situational, and stationary -- that's a lot of cons. I think I may go back to one of my original skills that I took out: Spirit Rift. It's slow (5 seconds), but it's sort of like an AoE Wastrel's Worry that you can't stop.

I think this is going to be my final build until I get a change to try some things -- just over two weeks to go!
    IMO.... if you go rit buffer... which your wepon smith is... you go all the way... which means drop shelter... check out guided wepon... might be kinda useful no?

if your gona bring shelter.... take a 2nd ritualist for a spirit spam... and use somthing that will benifit you (#of spirits in area * x much damage to the enemy... forgot the spell)