PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

The Powers of the Blood Stones and their possible locations.

Most of us already know how the Mursaat are using the bloodstones. But I started reading the Manuscripts booklet, and something occurred to me. It says the gods withdrew some of the magic they had given all of the races, and divided it into four parts: Preservation, Destruction, Aggression, and Denial, as well as a keystone needed to unite the other four.

With the eruption of Abaddon's Mouth, the stones were scattered to unknown regions, though I think I have a bead on where at least three of them are.

Assuming each stone represents one of the spellcaster classes and their brands of magic:
    Preservation = Monks (as visible by the healing waters of Maguuma)
    Denial = Mesmer (lets face it, no one else is as good at it)
    Destruction = Elementalist (raw torrential forces of nature)
    Aggression = Necromancer (forcing corpses to rise to fight again, even against their own former allies)

We know of one bloodstone, and I know which one it is. In the (go figure on this part, eh?) Bloodstone Fen, we have the first we encounter. This stone seems rather passive on the outside, becoming little more than a sacrificial ground. But the manuscript says that the powers of the stones started leaking into the surrounding area. What is unique about the entire northern Maguuma Jungle, particularly the waters? The natural healing aura (aka Mending Junior). So we have the Preservation stone located for sure.

The Preservation stone made Maguuma a lush jungle, filled with healing waters. Impressive in scope, no matter how you slice it. Assumedly, each of the other stones would be equally impressive, but in their own way.

Back to the manuscripts, it says that the various guilds found out about the stones being back in the world, and started the Guild Wars to claim them, fighting without ever gaining advantage for fifty years. Ending rather abruptly because of the Charr invasion of the human lands. Less than a year after the invasion starts, the Charr encounter an obstacle. The Great Northern Wall, standing tall and seemingly unbreachable. So, it is my belief they turned to their own, recently acquired power. Look at the searing. Even the Mursaat seem incapable of generating a single spell that powerful. At most they maintain something already made.

So with Preservation out of the running, and Denial and Aggression not fitting the bill, we have one stone left: Destruction. Seems to fit the bill very well. It obliterated most of a nation's cities and villages, burned the plant life to ashes, evaporated the bodies of water leaving only oily sludge pools in their place. If that isn't destruction, I need a new dictionary.

Moving on, we have Aggression, which I believe would be the necromancer's stone. What other events do we know? A year after the Searing, the charr were at the gates of Arah. In a blast that obliterated an entire nation, the southern charr army was destroyed. Less than a year later, after having just driven the charr from their borders, the people of Kryta are facing a new menace: An army of undead, wearing the garb of the Kingdom of Orr. As any good Minion Master knows, regularly created undead return to the less 'un' state in fairly short order. One of the Yaks Bend quests has you drive off Verata as he is working on his own spell (Verata's Sacrifice) in order to lengthen the lifespan of his pets. But we are looking at an entire army, able to spread across an entire nation, with no sign of the typical accelerated decay of normal undead. That sounds like something that a stone that embodied the powers of necromancy could do. And yes, the book says the Vizier used a forbidden scroll to cause the Cataclysm, so I may be grasping at straws here, but there is nothing that says the scroll isn't similar to what the charr used to cast their spell, needing someone who had sampled the power of one of the stones to unlock it.

So at this point, I think I have three of the four stones located: One in Maguuma, one in the Charr Lands, and one at the bottom of the crater formerly known as Orr.

This leaves one last stone to locate, but I have my theory on that too. I kinda think the Mursaat have it. Look at everything they use: Spectral Agony, massive degen and damage spike. Call this life denial. The Ether Seals. True to mesmer style, they deplete your power just being near them (though they use elementalist spells, which I find odd). This isnt conclusive at all, and it could simply be the Mursaat's own magics (such as animating the Jade Armors).

Thats what I have so far. Time for the jury to deliberate.
    Last edited by terakhan; 09-03-2006 at 14:31.

Acctully in the last mission, Hells Precipice, you have to kill the lich with on top of the bloodstone. So in a way, you're rgiht that the Mursaat has it, for they controled the RIng of Fire (before you killed them)

At the end of the Dragon's Lair mission Glint says that there is a bloodstone in the Southern Shiverpeaks which the White Mantle planned to sacrifice Evennia and Saidra on.

One of the bloodstones must be the keystone, one must be denial and one must be Aggression. I agree that the preservation stone is the one in Bloodstone Fen, no doubt about it. But do note that while standing near this Bloodstone players are under influence of the Curse of the Bloodstone, which makes resurrection skills take 4 times as long to cast. (From the guildwiki) This is a bit of a contradiction with the preservation aspect.

I think you'll have to reconsider where all the bloodstones are though. There is no direct link that indicates the Charr have a bloodstone, and I think the bloodstone at the Door of Komalie is most likely to be the keystone, since it's in the crater of the vulcano.

Your arguments for the destruction bloodstone and the Searing are valid though. Indeed they do point at a link. But then what aspect would the bloodstone in the southern shiverpeaks have?
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 09-03-2006 at 15:28.

It's an interesting theory you've put forward there. Just to recap the Bloodstone's locations that we are certain of are in Maguuma Jungle, Souther Shiverpeaks and Ring of Fire Island Chain.

I think you're right that the stone in Maguuma is the Preservation Bloodstone. I wonder if the stone in the Southern Shiverpeaks is Aggression, as the Dwarves are locked in civil war.

Proud Officer of Veritas Invictus [TRUE] , Guild Member of The Order of the Truth Alliance
    IGNs: Serena Corvidae Me/N, Damara Cadus Rit/Mo, Carmina Sanguis N/Me
    Support the site - Become a PAL

Uhm, isn't another Bloodstone visible during the "Ice Caves of Sorrows" mission? In the area before you free Evenia and Saidra.

Anyway, I don't think the Searing was caused by a Bloodstone directly, since in Pre-Searing, you can find (and kill) the Charr on the altar where they invoke the Searing. You can also see it in the cinematic. They may have had some outside help, but they were no where near a Bloodstone as far as we know.

Also, all Bloodstones cause rez skills to take 4 times as long, so the one in the Maguuma Jungle is probably the Conservation one.

I'm also not sure if the Bloodstone in the RoF is in fact the keystone. I always thought the Keystone was a small bit of the stones, and it could be found somewhere else.

I agree with Rob that the keystone is probably the one in the Ring of Fire, and the argument for the Preservation stone sounds solid as well. I'm not sure about the other ones though... the powerful spells you have mentioned could have come from other sources.

All we get to see of the Searing is a Charr Elementalist chanting on top of one of their flame temples, so we don't really know how they accomplished it. However, as I've pointed out in one of the other threads (dunno if it's been discussed further), the crystal meteors are basically the same as the formations in the desert. So, I would suspect that the Searing is related to there somehow (I won't speculate how right now).

If memory serves, I believe the spell that caused the Cataclysm was on a forbidden scroll buried underneath the palace. No mention of a Bloodstone here.

Mursaat (and Seers) are extraplanar creatures, so I doubt their power is tied to a Bloodstone, since they're a strictly Tyrian phenomenon.

I'd say that it's just one of those loose ends that never get tied up- we know about the Maguuma stone, the RoF stone, and the Shiverpeaks stone that we never see, but we don't know where the other two are.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    My guess is that the Charr ritual tapped the power of the Bloodstone, which doesn't mean it needs to be right on top of it. And who said that the Bloodstone would lose its power if it was buried (i.e., not visible)?

Also, resurrection could be going "against the flow" of any Bloodstone's magic. Like swimming upstream, it takes extra concentration and effort to resurrect.

Just an off-the-cuff theory or two.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    I'm willing to bet a Bloodstone will turn up in Cantha.

We only know the locations of three of the Bloodstones, and the possible identification of each one, however, that leaves two Bloodstones unaccounted for.

As for the effects of Bloodstones, I agree with what is already said. I particuarly liked the theory of the Dwarf civil war being caused by a Bloodstone, however, I don't feel that it is necessarily true. Intercultural wars happen all the time, and Bloodstones are not the cause of them. I feel that, in reality, it is much more likely the Dwaves are just warring over trivial matters, just like a thousand other wars on Earth. If human nature has taught us anything, its that you don't need a legitimate reason to go to war, and there doesn't need to be a mystical influence to fuel it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius

We only know the locations of three of the Bloodstones, and the possible identification of each one, however, that leaves two Bloodstones unaccounted for.

As for the effects of Bloodstones, I agree with what is already said. I particuarly liked the theory of the Dwarf civil war being caused by a Bloodstone, however, I don't feel that it is necessarily true. Intercultural wars happen all the time, and Bloodstones are not the cause of them. I feel that, in reality, it is much more likely the Dwaves are just warring over trivial matters, just like a thousand other wars on Earth. If human nature has taught us anything, its that you don't need a legitimate reason to go to war, and there doesn't need to be a mystical influence to fuel it.
    Speaking of which, I've been contemplating the idea that anvil rock is a bloodstone. Any comments on this? Makes sense to me, the
    "Forge of the Great Dwarf", and well, it looks like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius

Intresting Idea, perhaps that "Death Wail' we heard about is tied to the bloodstone