PC Gaming News

Fastest way to move pet from lvl15 to lvl20?

So I decided to trade in Mister Teeth for a bird, which I've named Mister Beak. I nearly fell asleep going through the tedious leveling process, but I finally got him to lvl15. So now I'm pretty sure the Ice Caves won't be much help in leveling him up further. I could bring him on a few Tombs runs, but first, does anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind just doing normal missions, but I'd prefer a cheeseball shortcut if anyone has one. RA didn't seem to help much

P.S. Now that he's Dire, is he pretty much guaranteed to stay that way? If so I'll probably just let him die on one of my farming runs
    Last edited by jasongst; 10-03-2006 at 16:15.

Quote Originally Posted by jasongst
    So I decided to trade in Mister Teeth for a bird, which I've named Mister Beak. I nearly fell asleep going through the tedious leveling process, but I finally got him to lvl15. So now I'm pretty sure the Ice Caves won't be much help in leveling him up further. I could bring him on a few Tombs runs, but first, does anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind just doing normal missions, but I'd prefer a cheeseball shortcut if anyone has one. RA didn't seem to help much

P.S. Now that he's Dire, is he pretty much guaranteed to stay that way? If so I'll probably just let him die on one of my farming runs
    Do pets benefit from scrolls? I have no idea.........

I got my Monk's pet from 11-20 soloing griffs using a 55hp monk setup with SQ. Unfortunately the griffs are no longer the simple option.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed Arcanist
    Do pets benefit from scrolls? I have no idea.........

I got my Monk's pet from 11-20 soloing griffs using a 55hp monk setup with SQ. Unfortunately the griffs are no longer the simple option.
    Ahh, I'll try farming then. Ice Imps and Ice Golems are good Ranger fodder :P I just hope I don't lose my Dire evolution if I don't use the pet to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by jasongst
    Ahh, I'll try farming then. Ice Imps and Ice Golems are good Ranger fodder :P I just hope I don't lose my Dire evolution if I don't use the pet to attack.
    Well if you want to use the pet to farm, I can tell you where I farm and how I do it, using the Pet to attack.

I do a run from Elona, staying left, all the way to the zone (I forget what the zone is named now, sorry). I kill the Drakes and Rockshots. The following is a pet heavy build and I didn't mention it before because I am not sure a level 15 pet can survive easily:

Call of Haste
    Feral Lunge
    Ferocious Strike
    Apply Poison
    Whirling Defense
    Troll Ungent
    Charm Animal
    Comfort Animal

This build works mainly off degen and pet damage. I believe my attribs are usually ~14 Beast, 6 Marks (I use a quest reward 13-25 damage customized req 6 bow with poisoners and fortitude mods), 12 Expertise and 6 Wilderness.

I do this with a level 20 pet and gain about a level per 30 minutes. Once I zone I rezone and reverse the run.

Go for an imp farming run, and let the pet die. Have some scrolls handy, and let the carnage begin (pets mooch off of your EXP, even when dead on the opposite side of the map -- you might just have to rezone to see the levelups). This is how I got Cocoa to Unevolved (same as elder) level 20 in just a short while.

Ice Imp farming did the trick. And FYI he maintained his Dire evolution despite being dead 99% of the time.