PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Giant's Basins

We know a few things about Giant's Basin, and all of them are strange. It is a saltwater lake. Krytans fish in it. It is located directly north of Divinity Coast, Beetletun, and Lion's Arch.

It is also impossible for the above to be true. There is no single body of water that is directly north of all three locations. Conclusion: there are two bodies of water with the same name.

Why? And how do both of those large bodies end up being salt water anyway? Last I checked it is rare for a lake to be salty, and in most cases it is due to a lack of river outlet (eg Dead Sea). Now there is no visible outlet for these two lakes, and it is obvious by the proximity of the shiverpeaks to one and and th e northern mountain range to the other that the respective ranges are their sources (which is how lakes form on earth). Yet being farther north (which in Tyria seems to indicate higher elevation NB Ascalon being the "High Planes" settlement) and their proximity to mountain ranges indicates it is strange that they would not have large rivers flowing from them to the sea. There must be two(three) extremely large holes in the ground. Perhaps they really were created by giants, or glacier activity. But glaciers rarely leave such large area lakes.

Now there are some other odd things about the water table of kryta. Like the multitude of large rivers that can only be coming from a massive ground water supply, as they flow from no mountains or lakes. One of the rivers even flows into a basin, indicating that though it is much farther from the mountains than the basin, it is at a higher elevation. What is the source of this water? Simple precipitation? or a possible connection to the giant's basin(s)? There is also third similar body far to the west, north of the jungle, is it salty as well?

Here are the screenshots associated with my ramblings:

The Giant's Basin north of Divinity and Beetletun as named by the beetletun description

The Giant's Basin North of Lions Arch as named by a sign in DKNP

The unsourced rivers south of the East basin

the unsourced rivers south of west basin

And yes i suppose that people fish in them is not strange

edit: the screen shot required to prove the two bodies are separate would be too large, and its easy enough to see on the world map.
    Last edited by Ranger Nietzsche; 13-03-2006 at 11:57.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Hmm...I think the Giant's Basin is just the one body of water. It appears like you are overcomplicating it...

Which one are you referring to? The east one or the west one? Like the original post said... BOTH bodies of water are referred to as the Giant's Basin by both NPCs and Road Signs.

Here is an overworld map with the locations of the signs i found

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    It may be possible that the ithmas of land between the two is some kind of floodplane or at one time connected the two. Remember the area by the Gates of Kryta where all those ships are wrecked? Some are rather high up, suggesting that the water level was at one time pretty high. At a time like this, it is likely there was also a connecting body of water, such as a wide river, connecting the two bodies of water we see.

ba·sin ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bsn)
    n.

An open, shallow, usually round container used especially for holding liquids.
    The amount that such a vessel can hold.
    A washbowl; a sink.

An artificially enclosed area of a river or harbor designed so that the water level remains unaffected by tidal changes.
    A small enclosed or partly enclosed body of water.
    A region drained by a single river system: the Amazon basin.
    Geology.

A broad tract of land in which the rock strata are tilted toward a common center.
    A large, bowl-shaped depression in the surface of the land or ocean floor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Middle English, from Old French bacin, from Vulgar Latin *baccnum, from *baccus, container, of Celtic origin.]
    It is also possible that the "Giant's Basin" refers to the entire area that contains the two bodies of water because they are both fed by the same river, possibly flowing from the Shiverpeaks or from some other source in the north. The whole region might just be known as the Giant's Basin.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius
    It may be possible that the ithmas of land between the two is some kind of floodplane or at one time connected the two. Remember the area by the Gates of Kryta where all those ships are wrecked? Some are rather high up, suggesting that the water level was at one time pretty high. At a time like this, it is likely there was also a connecting body of water, such as a wide river, connecting the two bodies of water we see.

It is also possible that the "Giant's Basin" refers to the entire area that contains the two bodies of water because they are both fed by the same river, possibly flowing from the Shiverpeaks or from some other source in the north. The whole region might just be known as the Giant's Basin.
    Very logical...what I want to know is what the northern threat is, but that is being discussed in another thread, I think.

mmm both being connected would indicate taht at one point a large majority of western kryta was submereged, and the basins were connected to the sea of sorrows, perhaps this is similar to the previous flooding of the crystal desert. might the two be connected?

also i dont think the local NPCs are referring to the region because they refer to "the large saltwater lake known as the giant's basin" indicating they mean the body of water rather than the flood plane.

but good point nonetheless

i always assumed the northern threat was charr, but that was w/o great speculation on it

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Are you positive those signs are pointing due north to the smaller body of water, and not angled towards the other one?

The signs have a circle with an arrow sticking off of part of it. The thing in question is in the direction of the arrow, so just because a sign is next to something, doesn't necessarily mean it is indictating that something.

I really don't think both of those lakes are known as the Giant's Basin...

the second pic i listed in the first post is me standing facing in the direction of the arrow...the body of water in the overmap next to me is the southeren part of the smaller body of water, to the east.

i plan on doing more investigations today though

[edit] The results of my signage search

Location of every sign saying "Giant's Basin" in Northern Kryta Province:

A picture of the west most sign on the map

Now, most of the signs in game are like sign in the real world, they point to roads that take you places, rather than the places themselves. This is why I have traced the path of the roads the signs point to. These roads all lead to the Eastern body of water. The western most sign is the most conclusive, as it points nearly Due East, directly away from the larger, Western body of water that is north of Beetletun and Divinity Coast. In addition, it also points away from the road that would take one to Nebo Terrace, which would be the next area encountered on a journey from NKP to the Western, Larger Basin.

I believe this evidence is conclusive that both bodies of water share the same name.
    Last edited by Ranger Nietzsche; 14-03-2006 at 20:49.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Nietzsche
    the second pic i listed in the first post is me standing facing in the direction of the arrow...the body of water in the overmap next to me is the southeren part of the smaller body of water, to the east.

i plan on doing more investigations today though

[edit] The results of my signage search

Location of every sign saying "Giant's Basin" in Northern Kryta Province:

A picture of the west most sign on the map

Now, most of the signs in game are like sign in the real world, they point to roads that take you places, rather than the places themselves. This is why I have traced the path of the roads the signs point to. These roads all lead to the Eastern body of water. The western most sign is the most conclusive, as it points nearly Due East, directly away from the larger, Western body of water that is north of Beetletun and Divinity Coast. In addition, it also points away from the road that would take one to Nebo Terrace, which would be the next area encountered on a journey from NKP to the Western, Larger Basin.

I believe this evidence is conclusive that both bodies of water share the same name.
    First off, I'd like to say, good research. The maps are very clear, and very accurate, good job.

Second, if what you are saying is true, doesn't that mean the eastern body of water is the Giant's Basin? From what you've said and what I've seen, nothing seems to point to the western body at all. Maybe I'm mistaken, and if this is the case, please point it out to me so I can get my thinking straight.

Finally, the eastern body would make the most sense in terms of being a salt water body, as it is near to a rich mineral source (the Shiverpeaks) and would most likely have the greatest chance of eroding minerals to create the salt that would delude the water.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    ranger - good job. Can you do the same for western body as Quintus requested?

If there are signs saying 'Giant Basin' pointing to western body as well, I'd suppose the definition of basin as a region is the one used here.