PC Gaming News

Don't want to hijack Gaile's thread, so...

.. I'm still somewhat confused here...

EB supposedly has a pre-order for the Collector's edition of Factions available for sale online: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/261176.asp

However, it says "Pre-order: Ships on 4/27/06". Does this mean it won't actually ship until the day before release? That would suck, since it could be who knows how long until it actually arrives (long after release, in any case).

So, does the pre-order disk contain a key to "tide you over" until the actual media arrives? Since it's downloadable, that would be ok, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that's the case.

But if so, then do you not get your on-game collector's edition "goodies" until your actual order arrives or are there different pre-orders for regular and collectors?

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfscott
    .. I'm still somewhat confused here...

EB supposedly has a pre-order for the Collector's edition of Factions available for sale online: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/261176.asp

However, it says "Pre-order: Ships on 4/27/06". Does this mean it won't actually ship until the day before release? That would suck, since it could be who knows how long until it actually arrives (long after release, in any case).

So, does the pre-order disk contain a key to "tide you over" until the actual media arrives? Since it's downloadable, that would be ok, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that's the case.

But if so, then do you not get your on-game collector's edition "goodies" until your actual order arrives or are there different pre-orders for regular and collectors?
    It's normal for things not to ship until the day before release. I manage a video game store and constantly get "Is XX in yet?" the day before we are supposed to get it (the internet always lists the shipping date and not the "give us some time to deliver it" date)

The pre-order disc has a couple "guest pass" type keys and the key to get your in-game weapons. The latter will also allow you to play the expansion for a day before the actual launch, also to give you time to either go out and get your game (or have it delivered.) If your game doesn't get delivered for a week after launch, from the time the "extra day" ends until it delivers, you won't be able to access the new content.

Hope that helped some.

Gaile has said that if you preorder the game then you will have access 24 hours before the official release date (i.e. from 07.00 GMT on 27th April). The actual shipping date of the box shouldn't matter as your preorder code will grant you access. At least that's how I understand, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Proud Officer of Veritas Invictus [TRUE] , Guild Member of The Order of the Truth Alliance
    IGNs: Serena Corvidae Me/N, Damara Cadus Rit/Mo, Carmina Sanguis N/Me
    Support the site - Become a PAL

I believe it was said (somewhere) that the pre-order code will still be valid 3 days after the release of the game, so that there should be no interruption in your playing...

Because the in-game item from the Collector's edition is tied to the Collector's Edition game CD-key, you can't access those items until you get it shipped....

Ok, I think I get it now. As far as game access is concerned, pre-ordering means I'll actually get two things -- a pre-order key and the "real" game key, when it eventually ships.

The pre-order key should come before the "real" shipment (one day prior to release, at least), and then the "real" key (regular or collectors, depending on which one I purchased) will come later (hopefully not more than 2-3 days after release.

However, I have to say, I don't think I trust ordering this online. I'd rather wait until closer to delivery and go try and by a pre-order then. Ofc, I'll run the risk of there not being any, but I can't imagine that every town in the area will be out.

GWOnline.Net Member
    In an online store in my country, they email you the preorder key which gives the weapons, lets you play 24 hours earlier and other bonuses. Then they ship you the box with the normal factions key and all the bonuses. Don't know how it works elswhere.

Ok, I think I get it now. As far as game access is concerned, pre-ordering means I'll actually get two things -- a pre-order key and the "real" game key, when it eventually ships.

The pre-order key should come before the "real" shipment (one day prior to release, at least), and then the "real" key (regular or collectors, depending on which one I purchased) will come later (hopefully not more than 2-3 days after release.

However, I have to say, I don't think I trust ordering this online. I'd rather wait until closer to delivery and go try and by a pre-order then. Ofc, I'll run the risk of there not being any, but I can't imagine that every town in the area will be out.
    When you buy the empty preorder box the price at the local retailer is dropped that amount on the regular game, when you come back in to get regular game. That is how it works here. Except they don't have the pre-order for GW within 50-75 miles of here and I can't afford $50 extra in gas (for two trips) to go get two boxes. So I have to do without until the actual release.

The pre-order is said to come with some perks, but I won't believe anything til I have it in hand.

Fitz

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    There are a few places online that will send the pre-order pack as soon as they can. Gamestop, for example, shipped the pre-order pack to me already. Amazon has a similar deal. Then when the game is actually released, they'll ship that to me. Not every online retailer is doing this, though.

The pre-order pack does come with some extra perks. Concept art, music, wallpapers, as well as the already-mentioned pre-order items and play in advance.

Here is the quote from the EB games Site:

Pre-order Guild Wars: Factions and receive a free bonus disc! This pre-order disc will ship separately and includes:
    Exclusive in-game weapons
    A one-day head start
    Beta weekend access keys for you and a friend
    tactical guide
    CD with concept art, wallpapers, & in-game trailers
    Trial key for the original Guild Wars game
    It is somewhat confusing, since at the top, it says pre-order-ships: apr 27, 2006....but that part is telling you that you are pre-ordering the game, and that it will ship of said date.

The pre-order "bonus" as they call it is noted as shipping seperately.

I can state from my own experience, seeing as this is the exact order I placed over a week ago...the day the CE with Bonus was put on the site...originally they didn't have a 1 per customer limit.....so glad I pre-ordered early or else hubby and I would have been fighting over which account got the weapons. Anyway, we ordered it last Thursday. The pre-orders left the EBgames warehouse on Friday. However, they did get stuck in CO, and have still not arrived here. So, it should be noted that if you pay the extra $10 for next day air, that only applies to the game itself, and not the 'bonus'. It will come at an old decrepit snail's pace....a snail with a walker. Of course, by no means did I expect the next day air to apply to the bonus....but I just wanted to note that.

Also, it should be noted that EBGAmes will include some small print in the email they send after you order:

Also note that EBgames.com does not ship nor do
    we schedule deliveries for weekends or holidays. If your order shipped on a
    Thursday or Friday, delivery may not occur until Tuesday of the following week.

The game is due to ship on a Thursday. So, be prepared to have a few days of no Factions. With the pre-order you get the 48 hours? But then if you want to continue, you must input the key from your purchased game. It is highly likely that we will not have the game in time. But, it's only a few days of the first weekend of release.....no biggie!!! hahaha

just think, we will miss the majority of the factions pre-searing rushers...because by the time we get the game, they will be long gone! haha