PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

Is there a better way?

Now, I made a monk, and I do like supporting.
    That's not the issue.

The problem is I find that the only way I can keep everyone alive is by staring at the party window constantly.
    This is great for efficiency, but this means that I'm literally going through every area in the game staring at a bunch of red bars instead of the monsters/scenery. I barely even see what we're fighting half the time. It's like playing a text based game.

Is there some better way to keep track of people's health? Or at least display everyone's green health bar above them constantly?
    Last edited by Kyokuji; 21-03-2006 at 06:45.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Nope, this is the monk fate. When you close GW and try to get some sleep, you'll see these red bars again.

The best advice I can give you is to play another character to experience a different game play.

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Alas, the way of the healing monk is to stare at red bars and pray to god that when one of them is low they run somewhere near your general direction rather than *away* from you. I can't count the number of times someone's ran away from me when they needed healing. Usually past the giant mob, thus dragging me into it.

That was fun. Not.

When I'm healing during a big fight, I usually turn my camera away from the action on purpose to prevent things from lagging or going jumpy. Which really doesn't help when you're going through a new area for the first time. Erk.

If this is your first time through the game and actually want to see what's going on (highly recommended) then I'd go the way of the smite monk, or make another character.
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

Indeed. The Healing monks fate is to peer at jumping red bars, occasionally looking at the radar to reposition yourself when new patrols arrive.

Although I must admit that healing for a competent group (looks at fellow Guildmembers) is making my life a lot easier.

LOL I had that thought too last night. Just thought Id try a monk char so started "Mai Kill Yu".

Got myself ran to Droks for armour and then we fought our way to Ice Caves, then did the mission (lmao I havent even got Ranik open yet!!)

I set myself up for almost full healing and just stood back from the action. Sometimes where I was I couldnt even see anyone over the hill but it wouldnt have mattered as you say; you must only look at the party bars.

But its like playing 2 pianos' at once. clicking on the respective party bars and then choosing the right skill to apply. Sometimes it was like a Swan Lake ballet, sometimes it was like a Led Zeppelin concert.

But despite all that I really enjoy being a monk for a change. Level 6 here we come!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wandalf
    Although I must admit that healing for a competent group (looks at fellow Guildmembers) is making my life a lot easier.
    Awww, that's sweet Wandalf. I'm all warm and tingly inside!

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandalf
    Agreed. My second guild got me into healing, and I only heal for them + my first guild. I've only had one EEK moment with them in SF when they dragged me into about 3 mobs of SF summit *looks at a certain Frog Logging Ranger*. I've heard far too many horror stories of other guildies monking with pugs. *shudder*

Competent guildies FTW!

I said ftw. ugh. kill me.
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

I have missed drops for me because I am constantly looking at the red bars! I did the one that I felt was important only because I was in a pug with a friend that pmed me, which binged, and I looked over...he was also monking mission. Sweet a silver dye this is good because I just gave out my stash to guildies earlier that day. I rarely know where we are going and many of times missed the: vine, bridge, cliff ect. Then had to backtrack and find the spot to get caught up.
    My biggest peeve is when the pug decides that we will split up and attack two groups. Or as happened recently, I was monking for a friend so he could get to Lions via missions (neither think running is a good idea for first chars). I got a pug in Kryta, and had another friend from another guild join us, who is a level 20 warrior monk (yes another wammo but not as bad as some I have seen). So when we were ready to go I set some ground rules: stay as a group, I cant heal two areas at once. If you run ahead or run off your on your own! I will not be leaving the main group to go rez or heal you! That said I started the mission. We all have different speed internet so some download faster. I am used to being the first one in. Well we had one that was slower than the rest. The warrior and I waited at the start point for this person. Bet you know what happened, all the monks reading this. Yes the rest ran ahead. Two died, sad thing is one was my friend. I just stood there then said "Hello, did no one understand what I said." The person finally entered mission. Problem was one of the members decided he wanted to try and run the mission... If I wanted a run, I would have asked. No heals for him. I rezed the two, both apologized for running off. We finished the mission together, even the runner came back eventually. But this wasnt that bad of a mission. Have had MUCH worse. I might add ALOT better, had one that I rarely had to do anything, which was right after a bad tank group. Relaxing time.
    Most of the time I will monk for awhile, all but one of skills on bar are heal. Then get my ranger out and go out and kill stuff, just to get the frustration or as a distraction. Sad thing is I keep trying to heal everyone on ranger. It has become second nature now.
    If you remain a monk just do the best you can, you may lose some. Take note there are still players out there that will understand when you announce your energy level as low (stop and regen) or that will see this and use their rez sig (happened on the worse mission, thank you elemental, still cant say that enough). Do the best you can, it helps if you get guild to come or friends. If you need some help or want to practice monking look me up
    Igns: Uda Duno or Starbuck Duno (Star is the monk) I will come help.
    Thank you for the heals before hand. Stick with it, it is fun to be the monk.

<nod> Playing a healing Monk is hard. But, there are a few tricks, if you're open to read them.

1) Customize your controls for the keyboard. Set Party Selection to the number row above the letters. As your left hand is going to be hovering over the ASDW area anyway, this makes party selection VERY efficient. Then, set your Skills to the numeric keypad. This combo makes for some quick selection/healing situations. Often, I've had people say, "Hey, where did that healing come from? I didn't even know I was in that much trouble!"
    2) Adopt the "pilot's eye movement" pattern. Meaning, shift your gaze from the Party Window, to the main screen, to the Radar and back to the Party Window. This will keep you in touch with everything that's going on, and you'll still be able to both enjoy the epic struggles of your party AND keep them on their feet.
    3) Toss the mouse out the window! The mouse will SLOW YOU DOWN in almost any situation. With a customized keyboard map, you can run the entire combat from initial contact to clean-up without moving your hands from the keyboard.
    4) When all of this gets to be a bit much, just tell your party at the next town, "Hold on a second. I'm going to switch characters. I need a break from the Monking!" If they qvetch, tough on them! <laugh>

Good luck and good hunting!
    -P
    IGN: Death By Bunnie

GWOnline.Net Member
    I'm new so I don't know everything - but I do have a healing monk.

I really don't think it's that bad. I keep the party window open and stretch it out a little so that bars are extremely visible. I can see the whole screen and bars at the same time.

I have been doing alot of pvp and have found that looking at both what I'm doing and the bars make me and the group survive better. In pvp I end up playing the run away and heal game. I have to look at my surroundings to get away from the attackers.

If there are times where healing is overwhelming, I think it's a group problem. Bring more healers. It might be a little slower since you won't have as much damage but everyone will enjoy the game alot more.

There is something interesting about priest/monk professions in games. You learn how to focus on the whole group instead of just you are your big axe or fireball blowing away enemies. You get a good feel for the whole battle. I start with a healer in any game to learn how the game works then switch to something else (if I want to) later.