PC Gaming News

Hybrid View

New Char: Rit or Ele?

Well, I'm trying to decide what to do with my 2 new factions slots when it comes out. And I'll probably end up choosing between a ritualist or an elementalist. I'll probably play both and then decide which I prefer, but I'd like to hear some feedback from those who've played both. I'd also like to focus on PvE play...I do about 50-50, but I can always drum up a PvP char.

At the moment I'm leaning towards an ele, so I figured I'd get some feedback from the Ritualist side. Here's some of my thoughts on the comparison...please correct me if some of these assumptions are wrong:

Ritualists seem fairly tied to spirits (long cast time/recharge). Did people find good Rit builds without spirits? I dislike long cast/recharge times, and I tend to shy away from spirits for that reason. I realize that many of the good ele skills also have this same disadvantage.

Eles seem to be better damage dealers. My impression is only based on a few hours in the FPE weekend...so maybe if I got the correct skills the Rit would be a better damage dealer. But my damage dealing just didn't feel that strong with a rit.

Healing with a rit felt about like healing with a e/mo. It worked, but not quite as well as with a primary monk. (again..this may be a result of not having all the skills I wanted)

The urn/aggro problem really was a turn-off; it makes those skills PvP skills almost exclusively...though I hope this will be fixed.

Last question: How much tactical awareness does a ritualist take to play? One of my turn-offs on Eles is that in PvE it often feels like you just spam the big damage spells in sequence over and over again. On the other hand, I enjoy playing a mesmer (pick the right hex for the right opponant, interrupts, constant target switching) or a monk (right heal for the time, good awareness needed) much more. I didn't play my ritualist enough over the weekend to see how it felt. Is a ritualist likely to have a variety of spells for different occasions? Will there be timing involved in setting spirits? Or do you just lay them down before every aggro?

Thanks in advance.

I played both during the FPE:

Elementalist= New skills are not so good, excluding the new Water Magic ones.

Ritualist= It's going to be common, if you are not fully sure to try an Assassin or Ritualist, don't, and try one of the core professions first to get the feel of factions.

That's my plan. So I'll say Ele.

My try at some answers...

Quote Originally Posted by ehanks
    Ritualists seem fairly tied to spirits (long cast time/recharge). Did people find good Rit builds without spirits? I dislike long cast/recharge times, and I tend to shy away from spirits for that reason. I realize that many of the good ele skills also have this same disadvantage.
    There are some builds that relly more on the other skills of the Ritualist, but the problem is that the Ritualist's Primary Attribute, Spawning Power, is connected with creatures you create. So unless you go Rit/Necro and use at least some minions, the advantage of being a primary Ritualist without using spirits would be more a matter of Runes and looks.

There are some good builds that use a few spirits, though, focusing on other kinds of skills. The Weapon Skills, for example, have short recharges and really help the party's attacks (plus they work on the spirits as well).

Also, you do have a point that many Elementalist skills have a long cooldown - while the ones I consider the best of them don't, the most "popular" ones do (Meteor Shower comes to mind here). There are ways to work around this (Glyph of Renewal and Arcane Echo, for example), just as there are ways to deal with the long recharge time of most spirits (Ritual Lord and Soul Twist, for more examples). I have played around with spirits in the Weekened Preview and didn't have a problem with cooldown, but then again I wasn't playing with PUGs, so I don't think I have seen the "real" experience.

Eles seem to be better damage dealers. My impression is only based on a few hours in the FPE weekend...so maybe if I got the correct skills the Rit would be a better damage dealer. But my damage dealing just didn't feel that strong with a rit.
    The Eles are better, hands down. With spirits, you have a constant source of damage, but otherwise, Channeling Magic (the Ritualist more direct damage line of skills) has damage below what an Elementalist may do.

Healing with a rit felt about like healing with a e/mo. It worked, but not quite as well as with a primary monk. (again..this may be a result of not having all the skills I wanted)
    And here, IMO, the Ritualists are better than the E/Mos. While there aren't many "consolidated" builds around, a Ritualist has healing and protecting ablities that spawn the entire party better than what a Monk has - it's two different styles, and I'm not sure a Ritualist is as good as a Monk (I would like to have one of each in my party, to say the truth ), but it's better than an E/Mo.

The urn/aggro problem really was a turn-off; it makes those skills PvP skills almost exclusively...though I hope this will be fixed.
    Gaile mentioned on the Gaile Talk of 03/04 (that's yesterday, for those who use the MM/DD thing ) that this is a known issue, and it will be dealt with. Still, I don't think it would be wise to rely on Arena Net to fix this soon - we don't know when that will be solved.

Last question: How much tactical awareness does a ritualist take to play? One of my turn-offs on Eles is that in PvE it often feels like you just spam the big damage spells in sequence over and over again. On the other hand, I enjoy playing a mesmer (pick the right hex for the right opponant, interrupts, constant target switching) or a monk (right heal for the time, good awareness needed) much more. I didn't play my ritualist enough over the weekend to see how it felt. Is a ritualist likely to have a variety of spells for different occasions? Will there be timing involved in setting spirits? Or do you just lay them down before every aggro?
    Ah, this is a more complicated question.

An Elementalist may be a lot more complex than what you said - be an Earth of Water Elementalist focusing on knock downs or snares and you'll see that. But in practice, what most other players (meaning, those who would or not accept you in a party) expect is a nuker - Damage Spell 1, Damage Spell 2, Damage Spell 3, Energy Management, repeat ad infinitum.

A Mesmer, in other hand, doesn't have a set role. A Mesmer isn't very much liked either, and I think both these "facts" are linked.

A Ritualist has a lot of potential - between casting the right spirit at the right time in the right place, moving the spirit around if you have such skill, or deciding to destroy one spirit for skills that require you to do so, or casting the proper Weapon Spell on the proper target, or healing in general, there's a lot of awareness required. But we still don't know what role the Ritualist will eventually fall in - he may become another Ele, with a lot of potential but only one liked role, or another Mesmer, without a set role and not that much liked (or something in between, but that would be asking too much ).

Erasculio

Do NOT Make an Elementalist...again, the AoE patch way back screwed most of their useability.

Spiteful Spirit Necromancers do loads more damage.

Just wanted to say thanks to Erasculio for the well-thought out replies. More than I hoped to get!

: )

Quote Originally Posted by ehanks
    Just wanted to say thanks to Erasculio for the well-thought out replies. More than I hoped to get!
    That's what we're here for, to help each other I'm glad I could be of help. If you make a Ritualist, feel free to ask us anything else about it as well, this section is still half empty compared to the others

Erasculio