PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My view on the Assassin

At first, Assassins look to be a pretty strong class. High crit strike rates, fast attack speeds, double strike, and nice energy regen seems pretty promising. And it it looks as though you could take out a single target in PvP literally by pressing 1, 2, 3, 4.

However, the Assassin seems to me like one of the most easily countered classes in the game. I have seen very little self heals, condition removals, hex removals, etc. from the builds that people have submitted. All I'm saying is that I think the dagger combos are a bit overrated, and that it will take more strategy than most people think to play an effective assassin. Instead of assassin builds that focus on targeting a single enemy and killing it as fast as possible, I'm trying to think of some builds where you play like a _real_ Assassin, making use of the assassin's speed buff skills (which can be both offensive and defensive) and the unique shadow step ability. Example: tab between enemies until you find one that you can finish off, and teleport to an ally near that enemy. OR play a defensive assassin: watch your allies' health bars, when you see someones health start dropping, teleport to the ally and cripple/KD the assailant in order to save your mate.

Thoughts?

--> Relentless Shutdown KA Assassin. Just be aware that while the goal of the build is sound, the build itself, ultimately, is not. At least not as currently posted. I'm still working on a revision that accomplishes the same basic goals but that which actually works with the new skill stats posted in The Edge 2.0.

You are right, once the chain is broken, you have a problem.

We should not forget that those counter would involve interrupt/disable of your skills (the worst case scenario) like the lead or offhand attack.

But it is not too easy to interrupt these fast attacks, so conditions like blind might be effective against them. You would then have to rely on Mend Ailment and yourself or your Monk.

You can take care for yourself of Stances, there are some methods to destroy them. Also for Enchantments. Assassins have various ways to expose the enemy of defenses, what will make them also more vulnerable to your allies attacks.

See Self-Heals in a more positive light, Shadow Refuge and Death Charge are for sure not uber but very reliable and effective self heals.

But you are right, getting interrupted at 1,2... ****, 2 or 3 miss or get disabled... hurts. Well, time for a break... or time to destroy defenses. Unfortunately those skills have up to 30 second timers, ugh. :(

Is there any spell that does something like

Target ally can not be the target of spells/hexes for X amount of time? If I can find this I can complete my 12v12 build and make it unstoppable. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by StickyPanda
    Is there any spell that does something like

Target ally can not be the target of spells/hexes for X amount of time? If I can find this I can complete my 12v12 build and make it unstoppable. Seriously.
    Look in the monk and mesmer skill list. I seem to recall something like that, but not sure. Spellbreaker would work, but that's and elite. Same with Obsidian flesh and Shadow Form. Not to mention their recharge times suck...

I have found it! Finally! A way to stop blindness, daziness, etc. In pvp!

It costs 5 energy, lasts up to 45 seconds (probably 25 in my build) and has a recharge of 15! IT IS PERFECT. Plus it is a stance so stance bonuses ^_^ I need to remake my build. OMG YES!

- Hex Breaker (Domination Magic)
    For 15..75 seconds, the next time you are the target of a Hex, that Hex fails and the caster takes 10..39 damage.
    Energy:5 Cast:0 Recharge:15

I think that you're absolutely right... assassins are not a tanking class and are fairly easy to counter if enemy disrupters know what they are doing.

However, they still TEAR through enemies when they are left to do their work. This is where the teleportation skills of the Assassin come into play... you sit in the background and judge which opponent has dropped his guard. Then, warp in and dominate the guy in a single 4 chain combo and get out.

Assassins are not warriors. I have noticed that Assassins who think that they can fight on the front lives quite frequently die within a few seconds... I personally think of them as the easiest class to kill in a PvP situation.

(EDIT: To the above poster. Blindness is not a "hex," it is a condition. Also, keep in mind that you can only be in one stance at a time... so don't plan on using skills like Critical Eye when you have hex breaker up. Its a fun little skill, but I don't think that you're going to get much from it in this build.)
    Last edited by Tozen; 17-04-2006 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by StickyPanda
    - Hex Breaker (Domination Magic)
    For 15..75 seconds, the next time you are the target of a Hex, that Hex fails and the caster takes 10..39 damage.
    Energy:5 Cast:0 Recharge:15
    This will not prevent conditions at all. Except the Deep Wound from Phantom Pain perhaps :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tozen
    Also, keep in mind that you can only be in one stance at a time... so don't plan on using skills like Critical Eye when you have hex breaker up. Its a fun little skill, but I don't think that you're going to get much from it in this build.
    Wouldn't worry too much about Critical Eye, since that happens to be an enchantment.

There's no need to narrowly define any class, especially when we can't yet fully explore all the pros and cons. If they want to be battlefield assistants, then spec to that build. If one wants to be an Assassin that chooses a target and actually attempts to assassinate them, then they can spec to that build.

In every class forum you'll see builds that do somethings well and suffer in other areas. When it comes to defense in Assassin builds here, I've seen at least something like Shadow Refuge, which blocks 50% and offers 100+ health every 8 seconds. It's not earth shattering but its at least something. In my UDA build I have two defenses, and in my UCA thread I have three (pg.2 of that thread). And even that may not be exactly right for the builds until they get battle tested.

Keep in mind that not everything is handled by a single build.... if you are weak against hex control, you are accepting to suffer with it or come prepared with help from your team to remove them. That said, an Assassin who wants to control Conditions has some nice options. They can go AsNe for Plague Touch, or they have a Signet that removes as many Conditions from you as there are on an opponent. If your Assassin inflicts a lot of Conditions, this Signet would be perfect for you.

Well blinding is common sense if you want to over power any physically damageing opponent. During pvp with my ranger I found I was in the same position as I was with my sin during the FPE. That being said, there are builds designed specificly for one encounter or more rather than every encounter. Certain situations sins will benefit and in others they will fail. If certain skills do threaten your motives then aim a build to counter those instances were you maybe exploited. Haveing mend ailements or something will reduce the risk of blind and other conditions that may threaten this class. If eles are that big of a problem for you with the blinds, design a build that takes them out and can counter the blind. By takeing out the ele you don't have to worry as much and can use basic attacks to help take out the rest.

That being said, I agree with Arren. We just don't know so much as we would all like to think since the game is not out yet. It'll take time but I'm sure some one will manage to put sins in the spot they were ment to be in rather than trying to fill different roles.