PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Beguiling Haze: more proof that ANet hates eles?

Beguiling Haze
    Description: If target touched foe is casting a spell or suffers from exhaustion, that foe is interrupted and becomes Dazed for 5-10 seconds. This is an elite skill.
    Energy Cost: 10.
    Activation Time: 1/4 of a Second.
    Recharge Time: 15 Seconds.

If I'm reading this right, as long as someone is suffering from exhaustion, he'll become dazed and since so many new Faction ele spells give exhaustion, I guessing an ele without a single exhaustion-causing skill on his bar is pretty much a non-event. And if he's not, being caught while casting a spell - and let's face it, eles don't exactly have 'I'll get in my fighting stance and... you mean I cast Power Drain already?' spells - causes daze too.

I think this skill is too expensive to be maintained for long on a target by an assassin, but it's in the Shadow Arts line! The very line that anybody who is going /A will probably use for its excellent support skills. I think causing Dazed on a target for 10 out of 15 and 3/4 seconds is possibly overpowered; a ranger with Serpent's Quickness and enough Expertise could make an ele regret the day he ever deigned to use obsidian flame as the only viable means of damage against 100+ armour against elements.

I just find it so awful that there are two new elites (look at Equinox with its double exhaustion thing) that are targetted at the main weakness of eles. When's enough enough? Bah.

2 Things.

You have to get close enough to touch them.

Blackout is even worse since you can't do anything. At least when you're dazed you have a chance (albeit a very small one) to cast something. ex. Remove condition.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    I haven't seem a build yet that used beguiling haze that could't pick something better as the elite.

But this could easily be because I haven't seen a build that picked shadow arts as it's primary attribute =/

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pwn Your Mother
    2 Things.

You have to get close enough to touch them.

Blackout is even worse since you can't do anything. At least when you're dazed you have a chance (albeit a very small one) to cast something. ex. Remove condition.
    As Beguiling Haze is in the Shadow Arts line with all its teleport and damage reduction goodness, I don't think getting into touch range is really that much of an issue.

Blackout is indeed a powerful skill and one of my favourites; however, several combos, like Beguiling Haze -> Epidemic (and this can even be used on a shock warrior and then Dazed spread to his caster team mates nearby) can't be done with Blackout.

Or, in HA, Fevered Dreams -> Beguiling Haze on the warder, considering he will be at the centre of all the casters seeking shelter in the wards (yes, someone else will have to bring Fevered Dreams).

However, my point wasn't about how great Beguiling Haze is. My point is that ANet has designed skills specifically made to punish the elementalist's main weakness. A punishment that is not needed because, well, it's a weakness already without their having to punish it.

Quote Originally Posted by shamed
    My point is that ANet has designed skills specifically made to punish the elementalist's main weakness. A punishment that is not needed because, well, it's a weakness already without their having to punish it.
    Well, that is true for every class. I mean, look at us Ele's. Warriors wate us for blinding flash, obsidian flame, slow-downs, KDs. Rangers hate us for the same reason. ANet stated very clearly that no prof. is better than the rest. We have the most powerful spelss everywhere. And the spell also states that if they are also casting a spell... That means that every-spell caster aint gonna like it. As for the exhaustion, I have 3 words: Glyph of Energy. And there are sooo many ways to get rid of dazed: restore condition; purge conditions, mend ailments/conditions; And so many ways to evade it: not use spells that use exhaustion; good timing; protection from allies.

I agree that the spell is unfair to eles but look at it this way: it will take 1/2 of a second to see the spell, and longer to reach them, even if they have shadow spells.

I agree with shamed.

The popularity of Elementalists is in constant decline. It is not that Elementalists are even close to be powerful enough to deserve an extra counter.

They added a lot of not so sexy Elite skills that cause... exhaustion. They added this. They overdo on exhaustion.

Elementalists can afford to have half of their energy pool or more exhausted and still keep fighting. A little bit of Dazed (especially when it comes from an Elite skill) isn't so bad, as long as you have Monks who are prepared to deal with it. I'd be more afraid of Temple Strike.
    GW Character: Kodiak Arrest

If I ever thought up something so great I couldn't hold it in, I'd probably stop trying and just let it out, because that would really be the smarter thing to do.

Well, what if the ele has Matra of Resolve up.....then he/she is safe.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I really think they should just give every class some exhaustion skill....

I'm not going into a 'I'll bring up a counter to your counter' argument because the game is made such that arguments of that type cannot end.

What I will do is reiterate that my point isn't that Beguiling Haze is such a fantastic skill that it's clearly unbalanced and should be nerfed etc etc I'm aware that Dazed is a condition and there are easy counters to conditions, and that there are easy counters to those counters and counters to the counterer's counters but what I'm saying is that Beguiling Haze and Equinox say 'I will punish you for using elementalist skills' and very very few other skills in the game have conditions that are targetted so specifically at a single profession (I can only think of Sympathetic Visage and Soothing Images). Come Factions, even the drain on maintained enchantments Nature's Renewal brings is not monk-skills-specific anymore with assassins and their 2 maintained enchantments.

Why not have a spell like Buns of Steel: For each fully charged adrenal skill target foe has, he suffers X points of damage? Or Insecurity: Hex spell. For X seconds, spells cast by target foe cannot be cast faster than normal. Or Bargain Basement Shame: For X seconds, if the next skill target foe uses costs less than its normal amount, that skill is interrupted and target foe loses Y energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Holb
    Well, what if the ele has Matra of Resolve up.....then he/she is safe.
    No, the ele is not safe. First, because you don't have to interrupt a spell to cause Dazed - the ele just has to suffer exhaustion; second, the condition for the application of Dazed is Beguiling Haze used when your target is casting - the interruption is an independent condition that will be prevented by Mantra of Resolve, which will not prevent your target from getting Dazed. This is similar to every interrupting skill in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadwing
    I really think they should just give every class some exhaustion skill....
    The ostensible reason that only eles have skills that cause exhaustion is that they are supposed to have the huge energy reserves to be able to afford it. 30 points of exhaustion in a 75 energy bar is not as dire as 30 points of exhaustion in a 45 energy bar.

The problem is ANet cannot seem to get over exhaustion as a 'balance' issue. Their thinking is somewhat like this: hmmm this spell seems too powerful at 15 energy, but not good enough to cost 25 energy (and for some reason we don't like skills to cost 20 energy). I know! Let's make it cause exhaustion! Congrats guys! Let's work on the 06 Halloween event now! I vote we have the Mursaat trick-or-treating in Kryta!