PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Say, isn't Death Blossom a bit Broken?

Alright, So during the preview I tried this skill and it was great, I mean, I did 40-60 damage both hits to achieve around 80-120 damage with the skill PLUS 75 armor ignoring damage to each adjacent foe (35 damage twice because it's a dual attack). That's pretty nice, just all around good...

But imagine 6 assassins using that skill all at the same time on a group of enemies. That is a 450 damage AOE spike. You can then recharge the skill with Moebius Strike and finish off anything that managed to survive. How insane is that? With a proper build you can chain up to it in seconds with energy to spare.

Descriptions for your convenience:

Death Blossom: Must follow an off-hand attack. If it hits, Death Blossom strikes for +15-35 damage against target foe and all adjacent foes take 15-35 damage.

Moebius Strike: Must follow a Dual Attack. If it hits, Moebius Strike strikes for +10-30 damage. If you strike a foe whose Health is below 50%, all your other attack skills are recharged. This is an elite skill.

EDIT: Actually, it will be even better with 16 Dagger Mastery. Also, I have to note that the Assassins will have to attack several different targets in the group, because if the foe dies in between hits, the second hit will not trigger the AOE damage, and probably, the attack damage from all of them at once doing a dual attack would kill a single enemy too fast and lose up to half the AOE spike damage.
    Last edited by Shadowleaf; 19-04-2006 at 20:29.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    If Dual Attack is interrupted (providing it can be interrupted), would that have an impact on how effective Death Blossom or Moebius Strike has?
    GWOnline Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Mawgleah
    If Dual Attack is interrupted (providing it can be interrupted), would that have an impact on how effective Death Blossom or Moebius Strike has?
    Yes... but you would have to interrupt all of them at once to harm the spike very much. I don't know if you can interrupt during the dual attack though... The reason I think this skill is broken is that even if the spike is partially countered, the Assassins can still have enough energy to do something else, heal, etc... You can lead up to Death Blossom with Falling Spider after the enemies are knocked down, perhaps from an Earthquake or Dragon's Stomp.

Death Blossom is good, and in PvE terms it's very hard to justify using any other Dual Attack, but broken... ? Come on, compare it to any AoE skill of any other class and it's really not that superb. Flameburst, Spiteful Spirit, Energy Surge, Cyclone Axe...

There are plenty of good mass damage skills. I think it's only fair the sin gets one, unless you want it to be completely useless in PvE.

And please don't think this will ever be very dangerous in PvP. It may see some HA action, but that's it.

This AoE is ADJACENT. I am not sure if it works in an arc before you or all around you, I guess it works this way, like Mark of Pain. It did not trigger AoE Panic during FPE.

Maybe you have found a strategy for a Faction PuG, 6 Assassins and 2 Ritualists (attention, irony):

All assassins death charge the same mob and start their combo. When all enemies surround them, they start Death Blossom.

Works beautifully.

But... and there is the big BUT:
    During the FPE, there were many ranged casters, bowmen... lots of mixed groups, be it Echovald Forest or Jade Sea. An all melee mob group would be easily decimated by this maneuver, but if you get more than 2 mobs adjacent to your target, you are really lucky.

Syes managed to strike a group of Rot or Fungal Wallows during the FPE, he hit 3 or 4. But this will not happen all the time, so I would not deem this skills grossly overpowered.

What I am really afraid of is farming abuse I guess.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Well every profession needs some way of farming. To complain about this for fear of 'farming abuse' is as valid a complaining about Ranger traps and Barrage for the same reason, or cyclone axe, or minions, etc etc.

That said, I do think Death Blossom is a bit overpowered, maybe not so much for PvP but definately for PvE - it doesn't need much balancing but something like a 10 energy cost rather than the current 5, or maybe the damage dealt to adjacent enemis could be lowered a bit (e.g. so the main target still takes +35 per hit, but the adjacent foes take say 17, roughly half the damage). Or a longer recharge time, or up the damage a tiny bit but then make it an elite, etc etc - really any of the usual small balances will do, though a 'big nerf' (e.g. an energy increase, a damage decrease, AND a recharge increase) is certainly not needed.

Oh I don't think it needs a big nerf. I totally agree with everything you said, BLAHHH.

Well, personally I hope to abuse the skill the way it is. :D

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    I don't see how you could spike with it when everyone on your team would have to first lay in with an offhand attack.

Also the AoE damage is crap compared to what a Grasping Was Kuurong / Aftershock team could accomplish.

The skill is ment to be on par with Warrior AoE like crude swing and cyclone axe.

I haven't seen either of those become popular in a spike form so I don't think we'll see death blossom really take root on the spiking metagame either.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowleaf
    Alright, So during the preview I tried this skill and it was great, I mean, I did 40-60 damage both hits to achieve around 80-120 damage with the skill PLUS 75 armor ignoring damage to each adjacent foe (35 damage twice because it's a dual attack).
    Uhm, how does death blossom ignore armor?