PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

"I have freedom of speech"

Standing there in ToA, I was intrguied by the local chat. It was about homosexuals and America. There were people that were freely insulting homosexuals, others America. Some were defending both. Now I happen to hear many of the aggressors (the ones insulting others) claim that they have the right to free speech, thus they can say anything they want, even at the expense of other players.

Now let me argue this, do you guys think that in the Guild Wars world, there is freedom of speech? I don't believe so.

1) Character names
    There are words that you can and can't have in names, and a specified format in which they must be in.

2) Optional Chat filter
    While you can turn it off, most people choose to let the filter be on, thus in a sense violating "Freedom of speech" if the person is unaware that you can turn if ott

3) EULA
    By agreeing to these, you are bound to the ANet rules, not American laws. The catch is, ANet's American subsidiary is bound by-law to American law, this makes it a wise decision to imitate the laws of the American constituion, however, as a friend of mine put. In any virtual world that you enter, you lose all your rights when you click on "I Agree".

Discuss.

Very interesting topic. I could write an entire essay about this, but I won't, since I'm at work :P

My recommendation: Play by ANet's rules or don't play at all :P

Hi.

There is nothing to discuss.

Freedom of speech ends where private property begins.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNightfall
    Hi.

There is nothing to discuss.

Freedom of speech ends where private property begins.

Winner, please tell people ingame.

[edit]

I suppose that's unfair, I'm sure you can argue the other side in a sort of weird way.

People have been abusing free speech since it first appeared in the constitution. What many don't realise is its not an excuse to say anything they want.

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution (http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitut...tml#amendmenti) protects the right to freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference.
    Notice the bold bit.. In other words, Anet, gwonline etc. and so on have all the right in the world to say what you can and can't say and the right to free speech wont save you.

The way it works in mmo's/mmorpgs is you have freedom of speech as long as you don't get caught. I remember in EQ was sooooo funny, people would be barking it up with slang, name calling, ethnic jokes statements, you name it they did it, and when a guide or GM would show up these people turned into the nicest talking people you ever saw. lol See in EQ a guide or GM had to "see" the disruption, a screenshot and several people turning someone in would never fly because any screenshot and text message can be altered with printshop or photoshop. It's why I find it interesting Anet allows screenshots as a valid way to suspend or ban people from the game. It's too easy to exploit and give griefers even more ways to harass people.

they have their own logs too, i think the screenshots just give them more reason to look it up, doubt they'd ban just from a screenie.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Queen
    The way it works in mmo's/mmorpgs is you have freedom of speech as long as you don't get caught. I remember in EQ was sooooo funny, people would be barking it up with slang, name calling, ethnic jokes statements, you name it they did it, and when a guide or GM would show up these people turned into the nicest talking people you ever saw. lol See in EQ a guide or GM had to "see" the disruption, a screenshot and several people turning someone in would never fly because any screenshot and text message can be altered with printshop or photoshop. It's why I find it interesting Anet allows screenshots as a valid way to suspend or ban people from the game. It's too easy to exploit and give griefers even more ways to harass people.
    Anet have logs of every users actions, from skill usage to what you write (I dunno about whispers, that might come under invasion of privacy, but then you'd not really be saying super private things in whisper ingame anyway)

I don't really want to make a long and touchy argument but I'll say this, If people want to use vulgar go right ahead, if anyone gets upset they have turned off the chat filter(which is on be default) thus allowing them to see such words by personal choice, this argument should never arise again. If soo many were getting offended A.net would have put in a global chat filter already for certain words even when the filter is set to allow.

Furthermore this topic has been plagued to death months ago, with the name banning, it's a huge ethics thing in my mind, and actually find it quite funny.

In a game which is surrounded by killing and slaying of monsters, and other characters the 4 professions. People get all worked up about the language being used in chat, especially the parents. Now I'm not a parent yet but if I felt strongly about my child seeing vulgar I would also feel strongly about what is also taking place in game, killing, slaying, characters dancing naked and showing way too much, pretty contradictive outlook for people who want others to be banned based on name and vulgar being used.
    Last edited by EcHoMaN; 20-04-2006 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashberry
    Anet have logs of every users actions, from skill usage to what you write (I dunno about whispers, that might come under invasion of privacy, but then you'd not really be saying super private things in whisper ingame anyway)
    But then you could argue, what right of privacy?

Quote Originally Posted by EcHoMaN
    I don't really want to make a long and touchy arguement but I'll say this, If people want to use fulgar go right ahead, if anyone gets upset they have turned off the chat filter(which is on be default) thus allowing them to see such words by personal choice, this arguement should never arise again. If soo many were getting offended A.net would have put in a global chat filter already for certain words even when the filter is set to allow.

The thing is, the filter is ineffective either way, even if it was on; as long as the malicious intent is there, you can circumvent the filters.
    Last edited by Jacobbs; 20-04-2006 at 18:20.