PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by vinegar
    i have to disagree with you.. don't get me wrong, i love the idea of titles and the idea to somewhat judge people by it in a good way (no bad titles, just the ones showing your progress which is great).. but not grouping with people without a title or with tyrian explorer (60%) only? let me show you some example:

1. not all people like pvp, so when a chara is a newborn ritualist who is lvl20 after doing all quests on an island and in kaineng, but before getting even canthan explorer title (island is around 18% of cantha only) you wouldn't let him in.. even though he might have tyrian grandmaster cartographer on his other account.. kinda.. doesn't sound right.

2. i checked it on one of my charas. i finished the game doing all missions, most with bonuses, didn't rush it anywhere, did all quests, but also didn't go to the places i didn't need (like twin serpent lake, bone dragons place, big part of majesty's rest and the falls), catched all primary elites (and skills).. this chara is a monk, so she's usually just helping people in harder, high level missions (i don't use her for 55hp farming).. and with all that, all missions and outposts she has a tyrian explorer title (60%).. as i said - no running, all things done, all primary skills acquired.. but according to what you say you wouldn't let me in your group..

what i think should be done about titles they should be modified.. for example there should be protector of tyria and grand protector of tyria (all missions and all missions with bonuses.. because for me it means something if a chara finished all missions, including all jungle (no rushing), thk (teamplay) etc).. same with elites. there should be a title for cathing all primary elites, than all secondary than all for all secondaries..

in this way you could tell more properly if a player is good or not.. for example it's easier for a farming 55hp monk to have this "not a big deal title" - not such a problem for a farmer to have 1000minutes spent drunk, have 100 gold chests identified and 100 items identified, because he's got more money for that, and is using more keys than regular players.. but he surely wouldn't be as good in teamplay as people who does it all the time, right?
    Well gee, thats the thing that seperates average players to expirienced players.

ANYONE with half a brain can beat all the missions, but can everyone also complete all the bonus's? Sure, its possible, but actually requires a certain level of skill and knowledge of the game, because if not everyone would be protector of tyria.

Ive played with alot of bad people in guild wars.
    People who use full knights armor, run gimped skills, and just dont have that basic knowledge of the concepts of this game.
    Am i an elitist? Yes.
    Because i know for a fact that i am a good player.
    Over 7,000 Fame, Leader of a Top 100 Guild, 2 Characters with Protector of Tyria, 3 Characters with the Survivor Title and various other titles,

and over 5 million net worth in storage, Fissure Armor on 2 Characters.

See with the titles system, i know have a way to show people that i am better than the average player. Before the titles you had no way to determine whos good or whos not from a glance, no way to say "hey! pick me im better than that warrior over there!" , but now i can walk into a district put up a title and get invited into a competant group, instead of a group filled with w/mo's with knights armor and E/r's with flameburst.

I completely agree that some of the titles dont show skill such as drunkard and treasure hunter , but the whole title system is a good way to create competant pugs. Sure there is 1 or 2 oddballs with titles, but the title system is a great way to judge who actually knows how to play, and who doesnt.
    Bani the Monk
    We Still Pwn Charr [Char]

Quote Originally Posted by HeavensX
    Well gee, thats the thing that seperates average players to expirienced players.

ANYONE with half a brain can beat all the missions, but can everyone also complete all the bonus's? Sure, its possible, but actually requires a certain level of skill and knowledge of the game, because if not everyone would be protector of tyria.

Ive played with alot of bad people in guild wars.
    People who use full knights armor, run gimped skills, and just dont have that basic knowledge of the concepts of this game.
    Am i an elitist? Yes.
    Because i know for a fact that i am a good player.
    Over 7,000 Fame, Leader of a Top 100 Guild, 2 Characters with Protector of Tyria, 3 Characters with the Survivor Title and various other titles,

and over 5 million net worth in storage, Fissure Armor on 2 Characters.

See with the titles system, i know have a way to show people that i am better than the average player. Before the titles you had no way to determine whos good or whos not from a glance, no way to say "hey! pick me im better than that warrior over there!" , but now i can walk into a district put up a title and get invited into a competant group, instead of a group filled with w/mo's with knights armor and E/r's with flameburst.

I completely agree that some of the titles dont show skill such as drunkard and treasure hunter , but the whole title system is a good way to create competant pugs. Sure there is 1 or 2 oddballs with titles, but the title system is a great way to judge who actually knows how to play, and who doesnt.
    well, as i said before, i really agree with what you say and i have to admit i am a bit of an elitist too, i just wanted to show you that your judging by titles in a way "i won't take anyone with tyrian explorer title to my group 'cause it's too low" is a bit unfair..

let's look at me here (as this is an example i know well ;)) - when i started playing 10months ago i was a total newbie in online games and such games in general.. after 10months i solo almost all with few henches, have all primary skills with elites unlocked on 3 charas that completed the games (necro, monk, mesmer). i never did any serious pvp so can't be compared to you in any way here.

now let's take a look at my monk - according to what you say you wouldn't let her in. she has no fow armor (just 15k tats and 4 other 15k sets on other charas, but judgin by armor is misleading as, for example, in cantha i'm not getting any 15k set.. as a real girl i'm tacky and don't like the look of any of them.. i really bet most people choosing 15k kurzick ritualist armor for females are men in real life >_<), no pvp title, not even protector of tyria title and she doesn't even have explorer title (well, she has 59% or something to be frank)!! why? i didn't rush. she completed all missions and quests but didn't explore the map. she also did thk, all ring of fire missions, tombs, fow countless times succesfully. i also completed tombs with 3 people only with me being a blood/fire necro (not typical before nerf mm), other necro (ss) and a great warrior and 2 hench healers which i think is something to be proud of.

i think i'm a really competent player in pve in being a healer monk, a blood / mm / ss necro and a mesmer. but i have no way to proove it to you in game as you wouldn't let me in just by seeing my lack of proper title (don't have all bonuses on any chara, have only 70% explorer on necro).

and my point is - there are many people like me. and i'm not arguing with you, just saying that i'd rather see titles which shows also if a person acquired all primary skills, if he/she finished all missions without bonuses (believe me, but for an average player it's really not that easy to get all).. just look at it - getting all necro elites requires not getting into random good mission pug, but you have to come to some hard places to get it and you're really lucky if you have guildies all the time to take you there.

so, well, i hope i kinda showed you my point here ;) the system is good but i think it could use some improving.. i'd much more believe a pve w/mo with "all primary skills title" than the one with "kinda big deal" who got it after farming (drunk/chest/identify titles).. and sorry for such a long rant, i had the need to write a lot, i guess :D

Quote Originally Posted by vinegar
    well, as i said before, <snip>
    Well said vinegar. My situation is similar to yours. Most of my characters have 1 title or less. It isn't that I don't know how to play the game or can't function well in a group. What I found was that if I suggested doing the bonus in any of the missions, the rest of the group always said "No, let's just get the mission done". I never felt like going back to try and get them later. Now that I'm trying, I still am finding the same problem. Nobody or very few people want ot try and get the bonus. I'm going to try for the non-henchable first and then see what's left. Not convinced that any are really non-henchable, but some will be really difficult with certain professions I think. Given time I can probably get them done. My necro is closest with only 5 bonuses to go.