PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Higher levels in later chapters???

As an old RPG'er, one of the draws of the make believe world (to me anyway) was leveling up and getting more powerful over time. I think that was why I was so drawn to the originial prophecies game. If you played the game the way it was designed to be played, you didn't hit level 20 until after, or at ascension. As a casual player, that was a good 2 months of fun. Then after lvl 20 there was elite skill capping, FoW, UW, etc to keep me interested.

In factions however, whether you merged an old account or started a new character, you had to be max level (20) before really even starting the game. I have to admit, other than the cooperative missions (which I find challenging and fun), I'm not finding much challenge in this new chapter. The quests don't offer much incentive for me. I don't need the xp, or skill points really (I've already got 61 skill points). The faction is an incentive I guess, but I'm not really into the whole PvP format. So controlling a town just doesn't do it for me.

So, to introduce that RPG element back into the game, I'm wondering if ANet wouldn't consider increasing the max level limits to say 40, with certain skills only available once a certain level threshold was met. I know...the point of the game is that you can be successful based on skill and not hours played. Well, they threw that out the window when they introduced the concept of having to grind for faction points. It's just not fun.

I will definitively say that I am a Guild Wars fan all the way, but the factions game just doesn't introduce the same fun level round 1 did. Yes, one day I can claim that I finished the game in 2 weeks, but what does that leave me? Waiting until chapter 3 comes out so that I can finish that in 1 week?

In closing, I'd like to hear other forum members opinions on what might make the game FUN again. I've read the other posts complaining about this and that, but what is the message we can send to Anet on how to improve our experience rather than just complaining? My vote is for higher levels and thus higher level areas. Your vote is???

1) The level cap will never be raised. That's the official word. Never.

2) If the game's too easy, then isn't the logical solution: "Make the game harder."?

3) Does it matter if you are a level 40 fighting level 60 enemies or a level 20 fighting level 30 enemies? Does it really matter? It's just a number next to your name.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNightfall

2) If the game's too easy, then isn't the logical solution: "Make the game harder."?

3) Does it matter if you are a level 40 fighting level 60 enemies or a level 20 fighting level 30 enemies? Does it really matter? It's just a number next to your name.

Thanks for the input. Apparently you are just fine with the game the way it is. And that's cool. I'm sure there are many people on both sides of this. Making the game harder, as they clearly did in Factions, is one way to address this. But the "number by my name" isn't for bragging rights. It is a sense of accomplishment that I enjoy as I strive to attain a new level. That incentive isn't there anymore. Just me I guess. When there is nothing to strive for anymore (no more powerful weapons, armor, items, skills than what I have already), then the idea of just going out and killing things doesn't appeal to me.

Maybe I have outgrown Guild Wars, I don't know. I'll just finish factions and see what C3 has to offer. But if it looks like more of the same I'll have to make the switch to one of the other games out there. If ANet is okay with that, then I can't really say much about that.

Thanks again for your insight.

GWOnline.Net Member
    The problem is that if you introduce different level cap, let's say lvl 40 for chapter 3, it breaks the Anet business model.

They want you to buy a stand alone and then others to expand your game by adding other campaigns, in any order. For example, you start by buying chapter 3, and you are really interested by getting a ritualist so you buy chapter 2.

If you start Factions with a level 40, where would be the fun ? I don't think it would be very challenging. The alternative would be to put a level cap in Factions only at 20. Are you going to be happy when you take your level 40 character and then discover that you are limited in Factions, I don't think so?

I can't happen, and it won't happen. Ever.

Absolutely not! Level 20 has been, is, and will always be the level cap! End of discussion. I'm not willing to compromise at all on this issue. If ANet raises this, I will refuse to play, period.

Level 20 is it. If this is changed then you would have to seriously look at stopping chars from crossing over chapters. Would it be good to have a level 40 char in Tyria? No

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNightfall

Very sensible. Agreed upon 100%.

Now we're left waiting for the "make the game harder" part ...

While some people do enjoy the level-grinding aspect- I'm one of them, though not to the extent that some MMOs take it- that's not what Guild Wars is about. Guild Wars is supposed to be where everyone is on an equal playing field numbers-wise, and their performance is determined by their skill, not by whether they spent ten hours slaving away to get to level 57.

They're both equally valid ways of thinking/gaming. Some games does it one way, Guild Wars does it a different way to provide an alternative. Neither is "better" or "worse", it's just a matter of different games for different people.

Not that you can't enjoy both- as I mentioned I like levelling in some RPGs, but I also like the Guild Wars system.

Well..there's always PVP and that's REALLY fun once you get into a good guild and get r3.

You can always do UW, FoW, or the Elite Missions. In all due respect, your mindset is kind of wrong. So let's just say GW level cap was level 100...once you reach it, it's the same. A higher level cap just means more grinding, which MANY people dislike. Is the number 100 more fulfilling than 20?

Sorry, but I just can't see anything good coming out of raising the level cap

Quote Originally Posted by william wavemoore
    As an old RPG'er, one of the draws of the make believe world (to me anyway) was leveling up and getting more powerful over time. I think that was why I was so drawn to the originial prophecies game. If you played the game the way it was designed to be played, you didn't hit level 20 until after, or at ascension. As a casual player, that was a good 2 months of fun. Then after lvl 20 there was elite skill capping, FoW, UW, etc to keep me interested.

In factions however, whether you merged an old account or started a new character, you had to be max level (20) before really even starting the game. I have to admit, other than the cooperative missions (which I find challenging and fun), I'm not finding much challenge in this new chapter. The quests don't offer much incentive for me. I don't need the xp, or skill points really (I've already got 61 skill points). The faction is an incentive I guess, but I'm not really into the whole PvP format. So controlling a town just doesn't do it for me.

So, to introduce that RPG element back into the game, I'm wondering if ANet wouldn't consider increasing the max level limits to say 40, with certain skills only available once a certain level threshold was met. I know...the point of the game is that you can be successful based on skill and not hours played. Well, they threw that out the window when they introduced the concept of having to grind for faction points. It's just not fun.

I will definitively say that I am a Guild Wars fan all the way, but the factions game just doesn't introduce the same fun level round 1 did. Yes, one day I can claim that I finished the game in 2 weeks, but what does that leave me? Waiting until chapter 3 comes out so that I can finish that in 1 week?

In closing, I'd like to hear other forum members opinions on what might make the game FUN again. I've read the other posts complaining about this and that, but what is the message we can send to Anet on how to improve our experience rather than just complaining? My vote is for higher levels and thus higher level areas. Your vote is???
    Anyone who thinks a higher level cap would be better fails to see the evilness of giving Wammos any more health than they already have. That, and I never want to see a Spiteful Spirit do more than 43 damage at 23 seconds.
    I don't care if it will be in proportion, there is no need to change it.