Some of these gripes apply to Faction henchies to, but for the moment I'm really annoyed at the Prophecies henchies.
1) Underpowered henchies. In Maguuma Jungle, just an example, the henchies are level 15. The centaurs are level 16. The Jungle Skales are level 19. The wind Riders are level 17. The Jungle Trolls are level 18. These henchies are also equipped with crappy armor, too (AL 40-45 for casters). They die fast and often.
2) Grouping AI. The henchies have a very bad habit of clustering around the player, making AoE affects (like Cry of Frustration) very powerful against them. This applies to Factions as well.
3) No interrupts. Every mesmer and ranger should have at least one interrupt. Warriors have plenty of interrupts available to them as well. Every time I see a mob execute Troll Unguent or Meteor shower I groan.
4) Poor setups. Alesia [Healer Henchman] uses Orison of Healing, Healing Touch, Heal Other, and Restore Life. At least, at lower levels. Besides being suicidal in her ressurecting, her healing is very slow and inefficient. None of the more useful support heals are used, like Vigorous spirit. Considering she stands still when most monks would try and dodge, she could use a much needed boost, like perhaps using essence bond on herself so she'd get more energy from being whacked on so much so at the least standing still isn't quite so detrimental.
5) Poor setups. There is no real mesmer henchman. I've found I'm more useful with henchmen as a mesmer (even if it's my secondary) than as any other class, including monk. That's because henchies bring no interrupts or other useful domination spells. Empathy is not that great. Cry of frustration, guilt, diversion, and other skills contribute much more to the battle. I cannot say I've found Factions mesmer henchies very useful, either.
6) Poor setups. Everyone else doesn't do nearly enough damage. Thom doesn't bring a self heal. Orion loves to spam fire storm, which sends the fighter henchies chasing after and often aggroing more mobs.
7) Everything else that's been mentioned a hundred times over, mostly which is AI related.
Please continue to support Prophecies and fix the henchmen. I can only imagine 2 years from now everyone seeing Tyrian Grandmaster Cartographer title and seeing it as a badge of putting up with all of the troubles of Tyria, like the poor henchies, very large <lvl 20 land area, ect...
PC Gaming News
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Thread: Why (Prophecies) henchies suck
18-05-2006, 12:19 #1
Why (Prophecies) henchies suck
18-05-2006, 12:29 #2
I agree that the henchies totally suck. But I would say that it isn't all because of the AI. It would really improve my playing with henchies if I were able to give them certain orders, like:
But thats just my opinion ^^
18-05-2006, 12:41 #3
I agree with your posting, but I've got to correct a few things.
Originally Posted by Draenor
4) Poor setups. Alesia [Healer Henchman] uses Orison of Healing, Healing Touch, Heal Other, and Restore Life.
=> *poof* enchantment gone, more damage dealt, and health degen is still going strong.
And people wonder why she runs out of energy so often...
...like perhaps using essence bond on herself so she'd get more energy from being whacked on so much so at the least standing still isn't quite so detrimental.
With her current artificial uh "intelligence", she would put the essence bond on group members at random or when they run low on energy; reducing her energy even more.
I cannot say I've found Factions mesmer henchies very useful, either.
Thom doesn't bring a self heal.
18-05-2006, 13:36 #4
Yes GW:P henchies have their faults but they're not impossible to play with just challenging. I don't believe henchies should carry you through a mission/area by being more powerful than the enemies you face.
The OP gives much detail on how the henchies actually work and that's key to knowing how to best use their abilities. More control over their actions would be sweet but you can make a big difference by good team selection, target calling and run-luring.
I've had more success with henchies than with PUGs on the whole. That said I still prefer the PUG for the craic.
18-05-2006, 13:41 #5
Originally Posted by Glendalock
Indeed they're also underleveled in some places. With the henchies you get at Temple of Ages, it's very, very hard to do Galrath. Not because of Kessex Peak, which is controllable with the melee there, but because of the earlier reed stalkers and what not.
This may be a bit offtopic but I still feel, builds and all that stuff aside, that henchies help me well on almost any mission and/or quest.
18-05-2006, 14:23 #6
At least in Factions there's a possibility the healer hench might remove a condition or hex from you.
18-05-2006, 14:42 #7
Agree that henchies don't do enough damage. Durham is a discrace to his profession and please take fire storm off of Orion. Also, take that bloody wand off of alesia.
My biggest bug-bear though is both monks rezzing the same party member. This annoys me so much that when the party is down and I have reusable rez, I bring the healers up LAST!