beat me to it :)Where do people get the notion that PVE players just want to farm?? I have always been a PVE player, and I have been playing games for the past 25 years and I can say that I know no PVE player that just wants to FARM??? PVE players want to spend time on their characters and they will farm occassionally to get the materials to make something BUT that is not the only thing we do. The main purpose is to either RP with their characters, enjoy each others company, and mainly KILL MONSTERS!!!
I think a thread should be started on the common misconceptions of PVE and PVP players. I think both sides should take a hard look each other, that might fix some of these wide gaps between us...
One of the worst things which happend in factions is they incorporated the need to farm ( in this case ; faction) , at least I don't like it . PvE-ers in general do not farm at all unless they feel like it or they need some quick cash . Folks who farm al the time is a very small minority.
I don't see anyway in bringing PvP closer toPvE-players for a couple of reasons:
- PvE-only players are not interested in competitive gameplay to begin with.
- the way it is setup requires any potential PvP-player to look up the commonly used builds ( so called FOTM -builds ) and practice with those .
- the way it's setup it takes ages to acquire rank and thus get into any team ( unless you use one of the aforementioned builds- most notable example being IWAY - and do RA ad nauseum to get balthazar's fation ) .In that way it resembles farming : repeating something over and over to gain faction.
- people who have tried PvP on occasion to see what it's like come away with a very negative feeling about it due to the crowd in there ( NOOB-calling,swearing.immature attitude in general) . Those attitudes still are very common,sadly.I realize this is probably a minority ,but that minority is what gives PvP a bad name to PvE-players.
- Elitism still prevails .If you don't have a certain rank you don't stand a chance to get into team.
In short: Anet should stop attempting to reconcile the two and release balanced games which cater for both playing-styles.You can keep in the 12v12 just for fun,but by no means do this border/faction/challenge missions/elite missions thing in future releases ( this is my own opinion though,some folks are maybe thrilled about the whole thing ).It just doesn't improve the general game and also enables to have elitism in PvE ( whomever thought up the town-ownership scheme must have realized this would never be balanced , you'd have 2-3 groups - i.e. alliances - in control all the time , thus creating elitism.Yet they went ahead with it .. very puzzling ) .