PC Gaming News

what is the difference between piercing and slashing damamge?

what is the difference between piercing and slashing damamge on a dagger?
    also wats a good dagger i can could use for PVP and how much would it cost me?

There is essentially no difference between any of the types of physical damage. Slashing, piercing, and blunt are all equivalent, except in a few cases involving armour.

As an assassin, you've probably noticed that some armour types have a bonus against the specific damage types. Other classes have similar armours that protect better against specific damge (necromancer bonelace, for example), but those are the only times when the specific type of damage is important.

Your daggers are the exact same, except in very limited situations.

If you want some reasoning behind the damage types, slashing is done by blades, piercing by points, and blunt by large objects.

For example, swords do slashing because they're bladed (except the jitte, which does blunt because it's a big stick and not a blade), axes do slashing because they're bladed (except the battlepick and probably something else, which do piercing because they have pointed heads), hammers do blunt because they're essentially a block on a stick, and arrows do piercing because they're essentially a flying point.
    Scott the Green, W/X | Scott the Happy, N/R,Me | Scott the Inept, Me/X | Scott the Farseeing, Rt/N,E | Scott the Hurt, Mo/A
    Scott the Physical, E/Me | Scott the Clumsy, A/E | Scott the Pacifist, D/Mo | Scott the Aimless, R/P | Scott the Quiet, P/N
    Scott the Burdened, mule | Sorka Nordentaller, female mesmer who doesn't match the naming scheme

There is also a type of hammer that does piercing damage in Factions. Forget the name of it, but it emphasizes that damage type isn't totally dependent on weapon type.

Doubt we'll ever see a bow that does blunt damage, though...

A catapult or sling maybe? Pebbles could be considered blunt damage :).

As for daggers, I think I would prefer slashing daggers, as the Warrior shout "Shields Up!" gives everyone in the area +50 armor vs piercing damage whereas there is no such skill that provides bonus armor vs slashing damage. On the other hand, I guess "Shields Up!" is not a very common PvP skill...

wasnt a Jitte a sword with blunt and not backwards?

both piercing and slashing are physical damage...

If the enemy has a warrior or /W secondary and he uses "shields up" then your piercing damage will be poo.

I'd use slashing myself but I don't do assassins

A very large portion of assassin damage comes from damage bonuses in skills anyways, which are unaffected by armor. Armor only affects the base damage from weapons, which at 7-17 damage range isn't much.

Quote Originally Posted by skuldnoshinpu
    There is also a type of hammer that does piercing damage in Factions. Forget the name of it, but it emphasizes that damage type isn't totally dependent on weapon type.

Doubt we'll ever see a bow that does blunt damage, though...
    yea its the one with all the spikes on it... its the Spiky Skin of the War Hammer it looks like Malinon's Malign Hammer.