PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Suggestion: Collectors for more than Weapons & Armor

I feel the collectors in this game, while a great source of goods and special weapons, need more stuff to give, and maybe more varieties of items.

I don't want to make a long essay, in case some may not be interested in reading some long thing, so I'll make my suggestion shorter than I had intended.

Very basic idea really, all I suggest is that collectors should give more stuff like maybe dyes, rare materials, runes, weapon mods, stuff like that (yes, I know that the ub3r rich people will flame me for suggesting more easily gained max mods & runes )

Examples:

Rare Materials:
    Shing Shang Shimmyang [Collector]
    Hello, I have traveled far and wide, a warrior by trade. I have slain many dragons and ferocious demons and in my journeys I have picked up many rare treasures and expensive luxury goods. I, unfortunately have grown old as you can see, and can no longer gain the thrill of slaying a monster I've set my eyes on since I arrived in the Jade Sea...a powerful Saltspray Dragon. Bring me 1 of the beast's fangs and I can give you this in return:

Bolt of Silk
    Bolt of Linen
    Steel Ingot
    Lump of Charcoal
    Roll of Parchment
    and maybe some more...

Dyes:
    Choi Chow Chang [Collector]
    Welcome to the Echovald forest, I hope you will enjoy our lovely place. I have lived here many years, making dyes for the Kurzick's strange face makeups, especially black ones. I can make you some luxurious dyes if you can bring me X dragon moss to get the coloring. Here's what I can give you:

Black Dye

Weapon Mods:
    Ling Ying Wing Shming [Collector]
    Ah, welcome to Kaineng City, traveler! I am Ling Ying Wing Shming, a blacksmith and fletcher by trade, and if I had some magical Soul Stones; oh about X should do...I could make you one of these:

(List of all mods applying to profession.)

Runes:
    Tao Toa Aot Ota Ato [Collector]
    I am a powerful wizard from the lands of Kryta beyond the sea, I have made my home here in Raisu Palace to study the magic arts of Conjuration, Enchantments, and imbueing items, simple symbols with powerful magics. As you may have noticed, my study, within the palace, is overrun by horrible Shiro'Ken monsters, slay them and bring me X powerful Soul Stones as proof of your mighty vengeance and I can give you this in return:

(List of all major or superior runes applying to profession.)

What do you guys think? Please post your opinions here, if this is a wanted idea, maybe even Gaile will post here! That'd be soooo cool! (yeah, so maybe I love ANet and Gaile a lot, and Guild Wars, and everything else pertaining to the game, except whammos that aggro )

GWOnline.Net Member
    The thing I see is that Weapons and Armor are needed for play. Mods, runes, dyes, while helpful, are not needed. The collectors are there to make sure that every player, even without a gold piece to their name, can have a max weapon and armor.

We have a collector for Jade/Amber, they deal in Faction points!

As it is, there's not much to buy in GW aside from fancy skins. Max-stat items fall from trees. Rune trading is dead. All that is left for players to trade are greens, rare-skinned weapons with max stats and (a few) max mods. Sure, there's always black dye and ecto, but those are more forms of currency than items to be used.

I'm not a big trader, but I still place a few auctions and try to sell nice stuff I find that I can't use myself. Meet some nice people that way too.

I guess I wouldn't cry if those things were added, but it would even further remove human interaction.

So I vote no.

Quote Originally Posted by davepesc
    The thing I see is that Weapons and Armor are needed for play. Mods, runes, dyes, while helpful, are not needed. The collectors are there to make sure that every player, even without a gold piece to their name, can have a max weapon and armor.

<snip>

I guess I wouldn't cry if those things were added, but it would even further remove human interaction.
    I've got mixed feelings on this idea. There are already crafters who can craft those rare materials if you bring the right common materials to them. Dyes are available from dye traders. So are runes. The only thing you can't buy is weapon mods. And here's where I agree with Dave. Making the weapon mods available somewhere/somehow will further decrease the amount of human interaction. And in my opinion, that would not be good.

I like the idea... but in order to preserve the economy I believe the numbers would need to be rather high. In your first example, though there is a varying amount of supply and demand for each of those rare crafting materials, I believe 1 saltspray dragon fang is too cheap for even the most common in the list. If rare items are suddenly made more readily accessible then, of course, their value would go down. I'm admittedly not the best economist, but I still believe that is something that we (or rather ANet) would want to avoid.

Similarly, black dye is priced what it is because of it's rarity and high demand. Perhaps a moderate number of dragon moss (8 perhaps?) would be a fair price for the basic dyes, but silver and black would best be left out of it.

No matter the number or rarity of the collector's item, if it's more time efficient to hunt it than it's equivalent worth in gold you can be sure to expect a new strand of farmers made exlusively for that purpose. I say it's a good idea, but only as an award for items saved over time, and not as a true alternative source of the item.

After all, it would be somewhat dissapointing if everyone walked around in black 15k obsidian armor.

Lovin' the names SpitFire! :D

Oh, and yes, collectors which can give more than armor and weapons would surely be interesting, depending on what the reward is.

We do have scroll and bag-collectors though!

Course you have to realize that these are just examples, I'm not saying that there MUST be X mods or runes or X dye colors available. I personally do lean more towards Siako's perspective of basic colors only, while maybe black and silver are left out.

Also, these collectors would naturally have high req, enough to make either farming the gold or the items or buying the items equally long, just like it is ATM.

Too many collectors already, I'm having trouble keeping track of them as it is. Adding more will just make it more confusing...

If anything, I'd vote for fewer collectors, or just put them all in big towns. They're hard to track down as it is...

I like it, and at the same time I don't like it

Well, actually I like and I don't like your idea.

In my opinion, easier and better ways to get stuff is always a good thing - but that specific way has a problem, I think, since it would make people farm more. And I think creating an incentive for people to farm isn't a good idea.

(Why: it's random, so those with more time tend to get better results than those who don't. The loot drop depends on the number of players, the game itself assign the drops, and so people would have a tendency to either farm alone, or to farm in a group and exploit that - the "I won't ressurrect you since I'll just steal your drop" mentality comes to mind.)

But the idea of getting that stuff with Collector's items is good. So I would propose something different - that we could use the Quest Rewards (you know, Imperial Comendations, Monastery Credits, and maybe Equipment Requisitions and the Luxon thing) to exchange for those. This wouldn't make people farm - it would be smarter to do these in a group, since the reward doesn't depend on the number of people you're with, and it's not random, so time isn't such a big deal.

Erasculio

Quote Originally Posted by SpitfireIXA
    Course you have to realize that these are just examples, I'm not saying that there MUST be X mods or runes or X dye colors available. I personally do lean more towards Siako's perspective of basic colors only, while maybe black and silver are left out.
    Honestly, leaving black and silver out woulda kinda defeat the purpose IMO, since you're more likely to get the 150-170 gold to BUY a green/red/blue/whatever dye before you get 5 dragon mosses or 2 saltspray fangs or whatnot...

Excellent idea. It would kill half of the player business but we might use some quietness in the major cities.