PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 160
  1. #1

    Proposed Skill Balance: Air of Enchantment



    : 5 : 0.25 : 5

    Enchantment. For 4..9 seconds, Enchantments cast on target other ally cost 5 less Energy. This is an elite skill.

    ------------------------------

    I expect the naysayers will be the first to post a response here saying I am way out of line. Being that there is no clear, sanctioned way to contact Anet outside of forums like these and my application for Alpha testing is mysteriously on hold...

    AoE is clearly overpowered in PvE and PvP. With only a 5E cost, successive casts are rendered free and thus creating an endless loop of free skill usage. This is the EXACT reason why Ether Renewal was adjusted and the same needs to be done here. The other issue is the recharge. The recharge on a skill that allows free casting of other skills should never be less than the maximum possible duration of this skill.

    I hereby propose the following adjustment to AoE:

    Increase cost from 5 to 10.
    Increase recharge from 5 to 10.

    I could write pages and pages of examples of where I (or my team) have/has been able to unfairly destroy players or NPCs due to the exploit of this skill, but I instead encourage other community members to share their thoughts on the topic.

  2. #2
    you're forgetting something crucial in the whole debate here : the core-skills and the campaign skills are two different things . I was making a canthan monk and had to decide on 2dary profession at a certain time ( I want this one to be wholly independent from prophecies campaign for as long as possible , already have a prohecies monk) :

    - Mantra of recall is not one of the factions-campaign skills
    - offering of blood is not one of the factions-campaign skills
    - energy drain is not of the factions campaign skills
    - ether renewal is not one of the factions-campaign skills
    - divine spirit , well; you can guess :)
    etc.

    I suggest anyone asking for skills-rebalances from now on first check which skills are core skills and which are not .

    The fact people who own factions only have to make completely different builds is :

    - very interesting,reason why I'm exploring it
    - the very reason new elites were introduced .
    - the reason why any call for skill changes have to be studied very carefully from now on.One can't start from the assumption everyone owns both campaigns as factions was marketed as a stand-alone game with the option of merging it with previous chapter.

    I sincerely hope Anet will not assume any or all skill-changes are warranted just because folks owning both campaigns shout "nerf " .

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexia of Durham
    - Mantra of recall is not one of the factions-campaign skills
    - offering of blood is not one of the factions-campaign skills
    - energy drain is not of the factions campaign skills
    - ether renewal is not one of the factions-campaign skills
    etc.
    None of these skills are used in an AoE build because they are all elites. Guardian, Reversal of Fortune, and Zealot's Fire are all core skills and are used as part of the skill chain for this elite.

  4. #4
    The only way that you could really argue that AoE is overpowered, is when it is combined with smiting.

    And the solution to that is not to fix AoE. The solution to that is to fix Zealot's Fire. Make it only proc off healing prayer spells. Make it do more damage, to compensate for the change, too.

    You know Aura of Faith? There's plenty of reasons for why it sucks, and the 10 energy cost isn't the least of them. Don't drag AoE to the same grave.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNightfall
    The only way that you could really argue that AoE is overpowered, is when it is combined with smiting.

    And the solution to that is not to fix AoE. The solution to that is to fix Zealot's Fire. Make it only proc off healing prayer spells. Make it do more damage, to compensate for the change, too.
    Adjusting ZF doesn't change the fact that you can create an endless loop of free 5E enchants inclusive of AoE. Show me another skill that allows that.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by calderstrake
    Adjusting ZF doesn't change the fact that you can create an endless loop of free 5E enchants inclusive of AoE. Show me another skill that allows that.
    Divine Spirit + GoR. Endless loop of free 5E monk spells. Have fun.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNightfall
    Divine Spirit + GoR. Endless loop of free 5E monk spells. Have fun.
    That is a combo, not one skill.

  8. #8
    Why air of enchantment is overpowered??

    AoE smite build is just ok since you cant cast AoE on yourself.
    If enemy target you, you will die faster than using other prot or healing monk build.





    Can you give us more example builds with AoE except AoE smite build?
    Dont tell me "No" since you said AoE is overpowered in pve and pvp.

  9. #9
    you're completely disregarding part of my post here :

    The fact people who own factions only have to make completely different builds is :

    - very interesting,reason why I'm exploring it
    - the very reason new elites were introduced .
    - the reason why any call for skill changes have to be studied very carefully from now on.One can't start from the assumption everyone owns both campaigns as factions was marketed as a stand-alone game with the option of merging it with previous chapter.

    I sincerely hope Anet will not assume any or all skill-changes are warranted just because folks owning both campaigns shout "nerf " .
    It's not just elites which are not available in factions , it's also quite a number of non-elite skills.
    The reason verata's sacrifice was nerfed is also very apparent when you study the two campaigns . Blood of the master was the core skill so they had no choice but to adjust VS to maintain a level playing-ground . The reason why AoE is as it is now also is apparent : it's due to the fact those elite energy management skills being absent from factions ( all of them - as you can see quite a list ) .

    Let's for a moment study what is there for monks in terms of e-management ?

    Boon signet:
    Heal target ally for 5...29 Health. For each Enchantment on that ally, you gain 2 Energy (maximum 1...5 Energy)

    at divine favor 16 that returns you a whopping 6 energy .In order for this to be viable you need to put loads of enchantment on ally ( bonder might be ideal build )


    Healing light :
    Heal target ally for 40...88 Health. If your target has an Enchantment, you gain 1...3 Energy.

    again not a big deal,unless you are bonding and using blessed signet together with this one .

    AoE:
    For 4...9 seconds, Enchantments cast on target other ally cost 5 less Energy.

    at protection 16 this is 10 seconds . By far the best e-management skill ,as far as I'm concerned ( factions-only ,that is )


    Having checked other profession there isn't anything which comes even close for monks to use in any build ( but especially in protect build ) . In fact if you carefully study the e-management available to monks ( P&H also being absent ) in factions it's a sad affair .

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexia of Durham
    you're forgetting something crucial in the whole debate here : the core-skills and the campaign skills are two different things . I was making a canthan monk and had to decide on 2dary profession at a certain time ( I want this one to be wholly independent from prophecies campaign for as long as possible , already have a prohecies monk) :

    - Mantra of recall is not one of the factions-campaign skills
    - offering of blood is not one of the factions-campaign skills
    - energy drain is not of the factions campaign skills
    - ether renewal is not one of the factions-campaign skills
    - divine spirit , well; you can guess :)
    etc.

    I suggest anyone asking for skills-rebalances from now on first check which skills are core skills and which are not .

    The fact people who own factions only have to make completely different builds is :

    - very interesting,reason why I'm exploring it
    - the very reason new elites were introduced .
    - the reason why any call for skill changes have to be studied very carefully from now on.One can't start from the assumption everyone owns both campaigns as factions was marketed as a stand-alone game with the option of merging it with previous chapter.

    I sincerely hope Anet will not assume any or all skill-changes are warranted just because folks owning both campaigns shout "nerf " .
    Your point is moot. Imagine if we had Ether Renewal now but it wasn't core? "Ether renewal is fine because only Prophecies players can use it." You know how ridiculous that sounds? Almost as ridiculous as "It's not broken, there is a single skill that almsot no one uses that when used at the exact right time can stop the skill"

    Unbalanced skills are unbalanced skills, the end.

    You know Aura of Faith? There's plenty of reasons for why it sucks, and the 10 energy cost isn't the least of them. Don't drag AoE to the same grave.
    Yeah, it sucks because it is a targeted enchantment which makes it too situational.
    Last edited by Stupidname; 12-06-2006 at 02:24.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •