PC Gaming News
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    I am adverse to a cast time lengthening since it defeats the purpose of the skill: energy management for prot monks. We have been using AoE on one of our boon prots in gvg for some time. You have to be able to place it fast or it is useless.

Cast time of one second would kill the defensive use of the skill and I am not all that sure it would stop smiters from using it.

Quote Originally Posted by newbieguyone
    To OP, You're completely wrong because you don't really understand why the original dual smite was overpowered.
    I ran the 'original' dual smite and I understand exactly why it was overpowered; please don't assume someone's ignorance for reason to have a differing opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Propater
    I am adverse to a cast time lengthening since it defeats the purpose of the skill: energy management for prot monks. We have been using AoE on one of our boon prots in gvg for some time. You have to be able to place it fast or it is useless.

Cast time of one second would kill the defensive use of the skill and I am not all that sure it would stop smiters from using it.
    I agree with you 100%. An increase of cast time is the wrong way to go. If there is anything adjusted on this skill it should be recharge first and cost second. On max, you get 8 sec, having to wait 2 more sec to recast is not a huge disadvantage, but it keeps the endless loop from happening.

i'm currently playing pve air protmonk, mostly for fun. the build does what it does very well, but there are many things it does *not* do, and it has significant drawbacks. the experience is significantly different than, for example, with my bonder.

* i can protect one target pretty much indefinitely (RoF, guardian, PS (costs 10!), shielding hands)
    * i can protect two targets for a while (the duration is *just* not long enough for that... hmm, a staff mod time!)
    * i can not protect three targets at once
    * takes me ~4-5 seconds to stack things on one target
    * during this cycle, i can't protect anyone else without losing energy
    * my skillbar is filled with cheap enchantments, and i don't have an easy way of casting spells that are not enchantments, not targeted or not cheap
    * i found that if i use divine boon, i run out of energy too quickly (the 2 energy cost stacks up when i'm spamming a spell a second, with sometimes a spell that actually costs), so i only heal for DF

the things giving me trouble:
    * area damage (i can't protect everyone, i can't heal everyone)
    * group degen (tainted flesh, epidemic, stuff like that - same reasons)
    * spikes (gives anyone trouble)
    and most importantly:
    * personal attacks (if i'm attacked, i go down very quickly)

yes, the target is extremely well protected. the one target. play experience aside, is bonder any different, really? i'm usually giving tank a life barrier, life bond, essence bond and balthazar's spirit - and if he gets serious aggro, i have quite enough energy for a RoF every 2 seconds.

the only way to kill a bonded tank is to disenchant him, or disrupt/kill the bond monk.

the only way to kill an air-protected tank is to make him unenchantable, or disrupt/kill the air monk.

now if anyone takes this seriously as a call to nerf life bond or anything as silly as that...

*sigh*
    Calderstrake are you even open for debate for this? Or are you jsut "telling it like you see it"?

A Useful skill for once! OMG i cant kill this guy he has monk nerf the hell out of it...Maybe u want OoH to be removed? or a 10 second cast time on RoF xD

don't know if my point was discernible there, so thought i'd clarify a bit. i seem to remember seeing someone say that the existence of counters is irrelevant, since each and every skill can be countered anyway, and that an overpowered skill is an overpowered skill. let me just state that

every skill is overpowered if used against a dummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ju Smurph
    *sigh*
    Calderstrake are you even open for debate for this? Or are you just "telling it like you see it"?
    I don't think I have told anyone that their point of view is stupid; of course I am open for a debate. I am willing to concede that the consensus may be that it should not be adjusted.

I think the modest proposal to increase the recharge may be better at this point, but I also disagree with the ability to have the endless loop.

ShinyOne: you are correct and your point was not lost on me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyOne
    i'm currently playing pve air protmonk, mostly for fun. the build does what it does very well, but there are many things it does *not* do, and it has significant drawbacks. the experience is significantly different than, for example, with my bonder.

yes, the target is extremely well protected. the one target. play experience aside, is bonder any different, really?
    now if anyone takes this seriously as a call to nerf life bond or anything as silly as that...
    The difference is that an AoE can do damage while protecting about as good as bonder (don't know exact numbers) with less possible or at least less obvious ways to counter.I am also taking in account that these builds are often used in pairs which compensates the lack of selfprotection imo. When giving protection and doing area of effect damage you can hardly expect to heal the whole party at once , no protectors can as far as i know.
    All the balance suggested make the build only a tiny bit less effective.It would still be a very valid build.

I didn't mean that the existance of counters is totally irrelevant , but the numbers of counters from different classes is more relevant. Since the small cost ,cast and recharge time of AoE both interrupting and disenchanting comes at a greater cost to the interrupter/disenchanter for about only 5 seconds of not having AoE on the target. While bonders will get trouble from them.

I think AoE works as it was planned for. No need to change anything on it. You compare it to Ether Renewal but Ether was an enchant you cast on yourself, healing you a lot and making you able to smite anybody in your team. AoE must be cast on an ally and doesn't protect/heal you at all.

In the long-term scenario, all skill balances should account for the environment that has all skills to pull from. Gratned, some balances may be made with just one campaign in mind, but most should be for the overall metagame.

Once we have 3-4+ campaigns, it will be most important to judge the overall skill base because that is what the ladder teams will be using.

Problem I'm seeing - yet again- when folks proposing these changes is they only look at the "ladder-teams ' . Anet will have to take into account there are now folks out there who own chapter 1 only ,chapter 2 only and those owning both campaigns .They can't start from the basis : "oh,well ; all the ladder teams own both campaigns ,so we need to do this ". That would defeat their marketing-strategy ; selling chapters as standalone .