PC Gaming News
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekiel
    Isn't this a PVP build? Does it work well for you in PVE as well? Thanks!
    He says it does....
    (willing to be flamed)
    I like it though.
    Trying it out atm.

GWOnline.Net Member
    glass arrows
    marauders
    determined
    savage/power shot
    troll
    whirling
    light reflexes
    rez

16 marks
    13 expertise
    5(?) wilderness (any spare points)

I got sick of barraging (pressing '1' ftw) and thought glass arrows looked cool so i started playing with this i'd been a pure BM for ages using a staff and not a bow. this build actually rivals the damage from it against single targets (marauders regurlaly hits for over 100)

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Glass Arrows
    Penetrating Attack
    Sundering Attack
    Distracting Shot
    Needling Shot
    Whirling Defense
    Troll Ungent
    Free (rez or cap sig)

Expertise 16
    Wilderness Survival 9
    Marksmanship 11

It's just fun to do good damage with the armor penetrating attacks and then spam the heck out of whatever's left with needling. I tried this with Point Blank Shot and Zojun's Shot - but the word 'Range' is in 'Ranger' for a reason. It was really... uncomfortable being so close, even though Expertise is the main attribute for those two shots. The damage difference is not that much once you calculate in the armor penetration.

Wandering Traveler

Lightbulb

I have a relatively strange combo, but its nice. here it is....

Melandru's shot (energy regain)
    Hunters shot (bleeding)
    throw dirt (persistent warriors)
    pin down (cripple ppl chasing me down)
    apply poisin (health degeneration)
    seeking arrows (for block or evade stances)
    choking gas (persistent spellcasters)
    storm chaser (to get to battle or escape from it)

Im pretty much a condition_interrupt ranger. comments on this build appreciated. thank you

Wandering Traveler

R/Me

Interrupter Build

Power Shot
    Savage Shot
    Punishing Shot (E)
    Apply Poisen
    Whirling Defense
    Troll Ungent
    Favorable Winds

Basically I try to manage interrupting two to three foes at once, applying poisen to multiple targets in the process. I deal damage to my main target with Power Shot whenever it recharges. I use Favorable to easily use a Longbow. Whirling and Troll Ungent is my defense. Pretty basic but effective. The complicating part is interrupting multiple targets (but I do it well)

Quote Originally Posted by thulsey
    I tried this with Point Blank Shot and Zojun's Shot - but the word 'Range' is in 'Ranger' for a reason. It was really... uncomfortable being so close, even though Expertise is the main attribute for those two shots. The damage difference is not that much once you calculate in the armor penetration.
    Point Blank Shot work well when using Beast Mastery. The "beast" tanks while you sneak up and use Point Blank Shot.

I'm seeing some patterns in this long thread now... ;)

Looks like the builds I use have not been posted yet, so here we go:
    (Yes, I cannot live without interrupts)

1. All-round PvE barrage build

R/Me -- Marks 14, Expertise 14, WS 6, rest in Inspiration (3 I think)
    Barrage
    Distracting Shot
    Savage Shot
    Power Drain
    Inspired Hex
    Troll Unguent
    Lightning Reflexes / Whirling Defense
    Res / Fav Winds / Drain Enchant / whatever the situation requires

This uses a longbow of your choice for approach, Elswyth's recurve for most of the grunt work, an elemental recurve against warriors (icy if a necro has spinal shivers), and a sundering shortbow for rapid fire melee.
    Power Drain gives you that slight advantage of no arrow flight time and can help put you back into the right pace. It also costs no energy if it hits (and 5 otherwise).
    Inspired Hex is optional but really, it helps in hex-heavy areas. If no hexers drop it for another stance or something.
    Tip: try to not spam barrage too much if you're facing casters. It's more important not to miss Dragon stomp than do +14 damage.

1b. Interrupter

Easy! Just replace barrage with Punishing Shot. :)
    All my builds are interrupters anyway...
    I tried Broad Head Arrow, but I honestly can't stand the flight time. Better to have a migraine mesmer along, in my opinion.

2. Runner

R/Mo -- Expertise 15/16, WS 11, Healing 7
    Escape
    Dodge
    Zonjun's Haste
    Storm Chaser
    Mending (!!)
    Holy Veil
    Troll Unguent
    Condition Removal of your choice

Carry a staff for energy, although it's not really needed.

Pretty self-explanatory... yet no one's posted a runner build yet. Of course the only trick is that knockdowns will get you hard. Haven't been able to run past the wurms army yet. But everywhere else is fair game, and you run faster than a warrior. :)

3. Trapper

R/x -- Expertise 15, WS 15/16, rest in Beast Mastery
    Dust Trap
    Flame Trap
    Barbed Trap
    Spike Trap
    Viper's Nest
    Healing Spring
    Whirling Defense
    Something Else (EoE, Inspired Hex, Power Drain, Throw Dirt, Distracting Shot... heck, even a res.)

Note that this is not a UW farming trapper build, it's for playing along with a normal PvE party. Bring it along in missions such as Eternal Grove or THK and watch the fireworks. Also almost a must have in The Deep, where I also bring Distracting Shot to take down Kanaxai. :)

4. Poison/Fire hitman

You know this one, everybody uses it. Poison arrow, Kindle, dual shot, couple of interrupts, yada yada. Moving on.

5. AB build

Not really PvE, but some would argue not really PvP either. ;) Incredibly powerful for capturing shrines and cutting through minions army, with a hint of 'catch me if you can'.

R/xx -- Expertise 14, Marks 9, Wilderness 14/15
    Poison Arrow
    Distracting Shot
    Savage Shot
    Ignite Arrows
    Troll Unguent
    Whirling Defense / Lightning Reflexes
    Dodge
    Storm Chaser

Poison them all, trigger the AoE AI with ignite for added chaos, interrupt the necros and eles (and monks if you're good enough), then run away when things get hot. You can likely outrun anybody else with that build.
    Best used with a poisoner's Longbow, a poisoner's recurve, and then another damage bow (vampiric or so).

Hmmm,
    Looks like me and 1 other person posted fire slinger builds using Conjure Flame, and I bring Mark of Rodgort.

Not one person has posted a build using Judges Insight either.... Judges Insight works very well with Barrage as does Conjure Flame, and when I'm not running my fire slinger build I use Judges Insight.

Still over 10 pages worth of builds and only 2 fire slingers and 0 Judges Insight.

GWOnline.Net Member
    where are the R/N but not touch?

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by vanwijk
    where are the R/N but not touch?
    For a bit I was fascinated with Pin Down and Virulence, in combination. Pretty rockin' degen, coupled with another curse like enfeeble or faintheartedness.

Fun fun. I think that was about the same time I discovered needling shot, as well...

I forget my attribute point spread, at the moment, but I think I had 10 curses, probably maxed (or close) expertise, enough Marks to equip my bow and the rest in Wilderness Survival.