PC Gaming News

Question The Bow FAQ and Shields contradiction question.

I clipped this from the Bow FAQ:
    Situational Damage
    ------------------
    Attacking from the flanks of a target gives a small (perhaps 5%) damage bonus, while attacking directly behind a target gives about 10% damage bonus, and greatly increases the likelihood of a critical hit. Also, the opponent will not get the benefit of a shield when attacked from behind or the flanks.
    But I also found this info on another site (whichwiki shallwiki remainwiki namelesswiki):
    Shields are items that can be equipped in a character's left hand (sometimes called the "offhand") to increase his or her armor level (AL). This AL is applied regardless of hit location or direction the character is facing.
    These two pieces of information seem to contradict one another. I've always held the most respect for Hahnsoo and his guides but I also find very accurate information on this other sitewiki. Anyone tested to find out which is the absolute truth? Thank you.

I can't remember where I've it but there was an extensive research piece done by one of the top guilds at the time with shields. It did appear from their tests etc that the back of a character isn't covered by the shield, they were also going to test if the weapon side was covered or not but I can't remember the result to it.

Of course these tests were done several patches ago and things change but as far as I can tell from when I'm attacking poeple, the shield doesn't count when your stabbing someone from behind ^_^
    IGN: Zero Djinn
    Problem that needs immediate attention? IM me

from my personal experience i've noticed taking more damage when i run away on my war then if i face someone. i've also noticed doing more damage on my ranger when i'm attacking a target thats running away or has its back turned.

The Bow FAQ is over a year old, and I must've missed that in my last recent editing. Shields do indeed cover all angles, and thus they are counted in the total AL regardless of which direction you get hit. This information was actually gleaned from a GWOnline member's testing (much more recently, I might add, than SonOfRah's last testing... I'll have to find the thread which discusses this aspect), and not something that I got from the site which shall remain nameless (and might I add, has a few errors itself, which I've corrected over the past couple of months). I'll have to fix that in the Bow FAQ (more work for you, Zero!). Or Zero can just remove that last sentence (which might be easier).
    Last edited by hahnsoo; 14-06-2006 at 20:19.
    Hahnsoo's Collectors Guide (ver 0.13) and Ranger Guide (ver 0.60), updated for Factions
    Old Guides (Prophecies only): Mesmer Guide, Skills Guide
    "Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -G. K. Chesterton

*sigh* more work I'l lget on it now. But I tell you if the food store closes before I'm there because of this lol
    IGN: Zero Djinn
    Problem that needs immediate attention? IM me

Here's the thread, in case any of you are curious:
    http://forums.gwonline.net/showthrea...64#post4004064

EDIT: According to this, there are no modifiers for positional damage, other than perhaps an increased chance for a critical hit. We might want to modify the Bow FAQ to have this link at the bottom:
    Deford's rebuttal of positional damage - http://forums.gwonline.net/showthread.php?p=4004064#post4004064

And for the section on situational damage to be changed like so:
    Situational Damage
    ------------------
    Attacking from the flanks or behind a target may increase the likelihood of a critical hit, but does not appear to increase damage (this positional damage may have been taken out or never existed, according to recent tests by Deford).

Attacking from an elevated position has a greater likelihood of hitting the head. It also has a greater likelihood of garnering a critical hit and gives a small damage bonus, although it is not known whether or not this is due to hitting the head or a bonus inherent to superior position. Being above your target increases your range somewhat.

Attacking from a lower position has a greater likelihood of hitting the legs and feet. No damage bonuses are known for this position. Being lower than your target reduces your range somewhat.
    Last edited by hahnsoo; 14-06-2006 at 20:47.
    Hahnsoo's Collectors Guide (ver 0.13) and Ranger Guide (ver 0.60), updated for Factions
    Old Guides (Prophecies only): Mesmer Guide, Skills Guide
    "Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks for clearing it all up Hahnsoo. I knew I could rely on you.

And Zero, good to see you back.