PC Gaming News
    GWOnline.Net Member

havent played in months, need questions answered please!

Hello, I havent played in... 6 months, and I am kind of lost now. It would be great if i could get some questions answered.

Is having factions a must? I mean are there better items and such on there that make having that expansion a must if you want to compete with the top end characters?

Do people still play regular GW or has the majority moved to cantha?

In regular GW what are the best farm spots at the moment and what would be a good build to tackle them? * i ask this as I am probably outdated on equipment and I like to find items I can use to pvp with *

Can professions still match up against the mix of the new added ritualist and assassain or are they dominate in pvp/pve when with any other profession? In short for this question are the regular professions capable of competeing with the new ones without having assassain or ritualist as primary or secondary in their build?

Quote Originally Posted by Ehlert
    Hello, I havent played in... 6 months, and I am kind of lost now. It would be great if i could get some questions answered.
    Is having factions a must? I mean are there better items and such on there that make having that expansion a must if you want to compete with the top end characters?
    Factions is ... different, there are bit different stats for armor, items are roughly same and can be bought form players anyway.
    Do people still play regular GW or has the majority moved to cantha?
    People still play regular GW
    In regular GW what are the best farm spots at the moment and what would be a good build to tackle them? * i ask this as I am probably outdated on equipment and I like to find items I can use to pvp with *
    If you want to PvP its best to forget buying items and simply roll PvP character with all you need.
    Can professions still match up against the mix of the new added ritualist and assassain or are they dominate in pvp/pve when with any other profession? In short for this question are the regular professions capable of competeing with the new ones without having assassain or ritualist as primary or secondary in their build?
    You definitelly can compete with Rt and A in any form and anywhere.

---

So, having Factions is nice, but not necesary.

GWOnline.Net Member
    okay my main worry with factions was that a net put it out with great stuff so having it was almost necessary.. but since its not, any idea on some good farm spots? Or builds that seem fun to play? I know i should play what interests me, but its so hard to decide that cause there are so many possibilities... and it seems in the long run sometimes the thing you want to play wont be what makes i in the game.

You can still play characters without factions skills, but to really compete at the top level you need to be versatile and have the ability to use them if they fit the build. I know a lot of top pvp guilds (based on reading recruiting messages) require factions to join them if thats what you're into, you don't really say how much/what level you used to pvp so I can't say entirely if you will require it.

I still like to use the same warrior builds I would have used pre factions (specifically shock/axe) and stuff like migraine mesmers are still broadly the same. That said most GvG teams I can think of from the top 100 (and below come to think of it) have atleast one as or rit secondary or primary in them. A lot teams are taking ganker assassins, w/a to deaths charge spike or utility rits to act as a semi defensive position to supplement monks like a warder can be used, skills like extinguish are usually found on E/mos in most gvg teams etc.

I wouldn't say its impossible to play with just regular GW skills and compete, I'm sure there are some people who do, but you will be more limitted and some teams/guilds might be more reluctant to play with you without them, but the pvp fotm/gimmic builds are still the same for HA, IWAY, bloodspike, vim etc.

For high end pve as far as I have seen (not including elite missions) most groups still want the same things, tank, nuker, heal, MM (though having flesh gollem is usually requested) so on that front you're fine. Old tombs is now only for barrage/pet teams, only rangers/necros/monks in the district last time I went there, but that's still original GW classes.

The actual equipment isn't much better, just some shiny new skins, which you can buy in LA if you have the cash to do it. The new armor types aren't really that good, the general consensus is that +energy/armor is better than the more conditional +armor and +health. The new armors do look quite nice for some classes, but thats a matter of opinion and if you desperate want a certain look then that might convince you to buy factions.

For farming spots I think people still do ettins, there's still the invinci haunts (elona/troll cave) and you can solo other stuff like ice imps/fire islands with the right builds and time. And then group stuff in FoW/UW/Tombs/Sorrows.

Hopefully this is vaguely helpful to you.

okay my main worry with factions was that a net put it out with great stuff so having it was almost necessary.. but since its not, any idea on some good farm spots?
    Much of Factions is discoureging to solo farming. Groups farm either bosses outside of a select few outposts for their greens, or people just play the Alliance Battles or the two other Competetive missions.

Or builds that seem fun to play?
    Well, I'm having good fun with my ranger using the new Factions pet skills. Ducky's doing some odd 100/60/30 damage, in that order, per hit.

I know i should play what interests me, but its so hard to decide that cause there are so many possibilities... and it seems in the long run sometimes the thing you want to play wont be what makes i in the game.
    Most of the new skills augment old builds, rather then define completely new ways to play the game. Assassins are fun, but nobody wants on in their group, for good reason, and Ritualists are a rather different take on Healing/Protecting/Minions/Nuking.