PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NeVeRLiFt
    Doing random pugs I find OoB a must have skill, this way I can spam heal and keep even the craziest n00b pug alive.

Using henchmen, I don't use it.. as I already stated.
    There is that point where PUGing and Heal Party are useful (w/mo's that rush off with invinci-mending). If you are a Heal Party fan, OoB is very nice to have around.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexed Arcanist
    There is that point where PUGing and Heal Party are useful (w/mo's that rush off with invinci-mending). If you are a Heal Party fan, OoB is very nice to have around.
    Plz tell me your talking about PvE. I cannot believe OoB would be a nice skill in Heroes Ascent.
    The reason for that is, try keeping your party alive in hall of heroes with 1 or 2 warriors chasing you, and you go OoB yourself to death.
    In PvP, i just use channeling + inspired hex to keep my energy up. Mainly, i dont even need channeling except for altar maps. If you use your skills correctly, you can live off of inspired. Reason for this is, that there are alot of mesmer-builds, and mesmer-builds equal not much dmg, so the dmg done to your party can be healed easily, while you only need to get your energy back up with inspired hex. The build with more dmg would be iway, but they always fly around all over the place, so you can hit your channeling, and problem solved in this case as well. On altar maps, your facing like 16 enemys, maybe some extra pets, and your channeling will do nicely here as well.
    Energy drain is more a thing you should use for gvg imo, not for heroes ascent. With the 40% fast recharge on inspiration magic weapon set (garboks or something like that), this skill makes energy not that much of a problem as well.

As already stated many times....

Use Offering of Blood in PvE and Mantra of Recall in PvP. ;0)

If using henchmen I recommend being able to spike heal yourself or one of the henchies who is on the receiving end of the damage spike.

This was nothing in Prophecies, in Factions thou the it's a major problem when using henchmen. If you can last through the first burst then your group is pretty much set to beat whatever you're fighting.
    Also if you are the henchmen die from the first damage spike, I have seen a come back many times if the Ritualist and Monk henchmen are on top of their game. hehehehe

GWOnline.Net Member
    Neverlift, i must disagree on that

You are talking about using mantra of recall in PvP, but still most people know mantra of recall was used in GvG for a while after the nerf on OoB.
    A little while after that, people started using edrain more and more in gvg, and mantra of recall less and less. And like all those other people, i must agree Edrain still beats mantra of recall. When using a 40% fast recharge on inspiration magic weapon set, you have a chance of using edrain faster, getting the same benefit for mantra of recall, would not make it usefull. So the conclusion, with edrain, you have 40% chance that you will be able to use it shortly after you use it again, but with mantra of recall, youll have to wait out the entire time, because itll need to wear off before you get the energy, and dont expect the enemy to drain it off of you if you ask nicely.
    In my opinion, mantra of recall makes your energy management a bit out of your controll, youll have to wait for the enchantment to wear off, while with edrain, you can get your energy whenever you want it.

Also, i must add, you say to use mantra of recall in PvP. That is a waste of an elite skill, while for PvP in heroes ascent, you can just as easily use channeling (no elite) and take a healing elite skill, while in gvg, you take most of the time a boon-prot which doesnt need a prot elite, and therefor can use a energy managment elite like edrain.

So, to capitalize :
    Channeling for PvP heroes ascent
    Edrain for GvG
    mantra of recall = oldschool for me

Go observe the top guild matches and you will see what they use and how.
    I do enjoy watching the matches and see what is used and how. ;)

I see Edrain being used very little, while MoR is used quite abit.
    I don't see them using Channeling either because the return is just not there.

Alot of the top guilds don't use Edrain because the best healers are on the move and not on the front line of fighting and don't waste time targeting.
    If you're on the front line of the fighting and wasting time targeting an enemy then your teammates are dying as are you.

MoR for energy gain is better and gives you more energy, leaves you free to watch the red bars and keep on the move and off the front line of battle.
    Last edited by NeVeRLiFt; 21-06-2006 at 04:16.

Quote Originally Posted by NeVeRLiFt
    Really? I don't see that at all. (Both from memory, and from a quick examination of observer mode showing KGYU using 2x EDrain, their opponent using EDrain/MoR, Nu using EDrain/RC (?!)) If anything, EDrain is far more common than MoR; its micro consists largely of "c", and is not as vulnerable to being screwed with (everything that works against EDrain, and stuff that doesn't (enchant removal), works against MoR.)
    Last edited by neoflame; 21-06-2006 at 04:21.

Recently ive been playin around with assassins promise as energy managment skill for my monkey....from what ive seen it "CAN" yeild some pretty high energy return and skill reloads. i was able to chain aegis constantly by myself for the full battle and also do the job of boon prot...

This was with hench and me callin target so in that respect it was easy to keep an eye on the mobs to be hexed by AP. and to focus fire. Not always teh case in live teams though.

Although it has good returns(well it seems to i havent crunched any numbers) it is micro heavy, and if you mess up the hex you kinda screwed for bonus energy for 45 seconds.. but it is fun

Im not sayin its better than any other type of energy managment merely a fun alternative. If you like a challange give it a go ya might just like it..

*edit* this is prety much PVE only, due to the nature of the skill. and as most people know you can get away with a lot more in pve than pvp..

For a healing monk, Word of Healing's all you really need in PvE. Signet of Rejuvenation is also okay, but is on a long recharge (for a monk). Hex removal via Inspired/Revealed is a plus.
    Boon prots should use edrain, oob, or mor, depending on what you're doing. I wouldn't use oob in pvp any more.
    Active prots generally get by with restore condition in most areas.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I don't see them using Channeling either because the return is just not there.

Alot of the top guilds don't use Edrain because the best healers are on the move and not on the front line of fighting and don't waste time targeting.
    If you're on the front line of the fighting and wasting time targeting an enemy then your teammates are dying as are you.

MoR for energy gain is better and gives you more energy, leaves you free to watch the red bars and keep on the move and off the front line of battle.

Your first line already got negated by someone else i see, so im not gonna spend time saying the same things.
    But, when i talked about channeling, i was talking about playing in HoH, like i said again in my last summary on that post, plz read my entire post before replying to it.

Then again, you say wasting time when you have to target someone?
    I dont think its that hard to press the 'target closest enemy' button, youll run up, use the skill automatically, and you can run back by simply pressing the backup button. By that, youll be in range of the enemy for the total of 1 - 1.5 seconds, not really enough time to kill anything i think.

Each has it's own ups and downs.
    E-Drain
    up: quick energy return
    down: requires you to get within range of an enemy(might be bad against a spike team or if some ranger is eyeing you with his choking gas/inturrupts.

MoR
    up:Energy return, and nice cover enchant, can be CoP'd for instant energy gain and if using boon, 2 hex/conditions removed.
    down: 20 seconds waiting for it to end before energy returns, sometimes energy is needed faster and this wait is a doozy.