PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member NeferJackal's Avatar

Does rangers start this slowly?

Ive several times been trying to make a ranger as i havent played the class to any serious extent before. But the damage output seems quite low, and the skills horribly expensive energy wise.

When does it begin to get easier? Once you have some levels under the belts and can pump expertise I asume. But the beginning seems quite hard to get through. I would play on Cantha as the leveling is much faster there than Tyria, but it still seems quite difficult for rangers, compared to a warrior whom just mows things down when he have adrenaline.

It does get a lot easier once you get expertise up.

Ranger is not supposed to do what a warrior does. That is tank and melee other tanks. A ranger is an interrupter, condition applier, spiker of casters (or touch ranger, or bunny thumper, or b/p etc). But definitely not a tank.

If you want a tank, bring a full Beast Mastery set up, but adding just another half-assed tank is hard to justify, you'd have to get good at interrupting too.

And yes, a ranger starts out a bit slow, but catches up quickly to the rest and becomes one of the most survivable classes later on.

Yeah there is a big hump before you ~100 skill points. It gets much better later in the game.

GWOnline.Net Member NeferJackal's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies, ill try to stick with a Ranger then and not give up halfways.

leveling up is easy playing the proffecion isn't that hard either i think you just have to play and have fun than it will go allot faster if you play the ranger how it is consequent to play

I found sometimes relying on some more skills from your secondary profession helps you get past that hump too. Stick with it. You'll get there.

Starting out I used the combo they teach you in the monastary , which is dual shot + ignite arrows , but that got kinda boring so I switched to apply poison and distracting skills and broad head arrow which is kinda fun keeping named casting mobs completely shutdown and everything poisoned.

But now I just usually bring traps hardcore or some type of barrage build It will definately pick up and be more fun though as you level.

Quote Originally Posted by oles
    If you want a tank, bring a full Beast Mastery set up, but adding just another half-assed tank is hard to justify, you'd have to get good at interrupting too.

And yes, a ranger starts out a bit slow, but catches up quickly to the rest and becomes one of the most survivable classes later on.
    I find the highest level of survivability in the beginning stages of a ranger's career are as a beast master, right from pre-sear or the island.

Half-assed tank huh? More like half-assed player IMO

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by oles

How, half-assed tank? Poes is most often the last one standing...

This one is taken just before that last battle
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)