PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Server

Desolation
    Guild

Blade and Rose, Edit Conflict

Chaos Army of Dhuum - facts, speculation and revelations

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius
    ...and in the sequel when his followers tried to resurrect him, they had to collect these shards...
    Yes, that would provide sufficient motivation to invade the Tombs of the Primeval Kings and Shing Jea Island, they were searching for something. But what? I don't think GW is a complete rip-off of TOE, but suppose there was some kind of artefact, or artefacts that could summon Dhuum to the physical plane of existence. I have no evidence to support the theory that Dhuum is in fact based in the Underworld, but rather in some kind of "outer" plane of existence. Grenth surely doesn't tolerate these demons attacking innocent players and his reapers.

Assume this for one second:

Dhuum resides in the Underworld, with his demons, generally unhappy with this. The Reapers and Grenth, unhappy with this, seek to destroy him to restore balance to the realm of death (think of the Shakespearean play Julius Caesar here). Dhuum is overthrown, but the remains of his demon army remain. An eternal battle ensues.

One of Dhuum's generals realises that there may be a way to (insert whatever you want here - revive Dhuum, bring Dhuum to the physical plane of existence, build a weapon to destroy Grenth - it's speculation, remember), and that they need a certain object or artefact of power that lies in the mortal realm to bring him back.

Then three of Dhuum's high-ranking officials, The Darknesses, travel to the Tombs of the Primeval Kings with some of the remnants of Dhuum's army, and invade them, defiling and - here comes the suspicious part - pillaging every tomb, as evidenced by the green items they drop. Now, I don't think The Darknesses as Mesmers can do much with warrior weapons, so they must have had an ulterior motive to opening the tombs, like they were looking for something else.

This is where we zoom forward to the present. Another one of Dhuum's officials, The Fury, a Elementalist Banished Dream Rider boss, opens a Chaos Rift in Raiyan Cave, which releases Lesser Grasps onto the Eastern half of the Island. This Chaos Rift is quickly shut down by the players, who are left hanging, wondering if this mysterious Captain Rujiyo will ever arrive to tell them more of these creatures. Upon his arrival, he takes the players to Haiju Lagoon, that is overrun by the demons. The players soon discover that Jaya Bluffs, Seitung Harbor and even Tsumei Village are overrun, and the Chaos army is quickly gaining ground and coming towards the Monastery.

Just before the end of the festival, Emperor Kisu comes to personally thank everyone who has helped fight against the Chaos army, and gives a short speech about Emperor Hanjai and the survival of the Empire, followed by giving a Ceremonial Dragon Mask to the Heroes that saved Shing Jea Island. However, just as he is concluding his speech, The Fury himself makes an appearance with his Grasps of Insantiy, seeking to steal the celestial essence that will be used in the final ritual in which the Emperor summons the Celestial Dragon of Cantha and ends the Festival. It would appear that the Chaos army have found what they came for. This next bit is variable. If the players manage to get the Celestial Essence to safety, then The Fury will retreat to Sunqua Vale and his forces will be defeated. If he wins, then the Grasps of Insanity will come and wipe out every player in the district.

Now this poses a question for us: Is it the celestial essence that the Chaos army seek, and if so, why? Can Dhuum really return, or can Grenth really be defeated?

Discuss.
    Last edited by Santax; 04-07-2006 at 19:51. Reason: Correcting spelling errors

Darkstar The Legend
    With the end of the dragon festival the grasps were attacking SJM, these grasps were capable of talking, does this mean that these grasps are intelligent creatures and not just some mindless destructive creatures as most assume them to be?

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Santax, I like your post, and I think it is very plausible and logical.

As for the Grasps speaking, I thought the same thing Darkstar, and I do believe they have some kind of intelligence.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Yeah, I saw them talking too. They said "Resistance will only prolong your agony!" if I remember correctly.

Santax, you certainly propose quite an interesting theory. It does seem like they are searching for something and that there is something quite sinister to their attacks. Also, the fact that the commander of the Chaos forces invading the island has the Elementalist boss glow does lead me to believe that we will be facing him at some point. I don't see why Anet would give him a boss glow and not have us face him at some point.

In trying to uncover some clues regarding the forces of Chaos, Dhuum and Menzies I decided to check out the old update for when Tombs was overrun by the Chaos forces. Something caught my attention;

The Tomb of the Primeval Kings has been overrun by the enemies of Balthazar. The Zaishen Order recognizes that many of you may wish to help conquer this foe. While this is admirable, only those truly devoted to the teachings of Balthazar should attempt to enter the Tombs.

The bolded part is what caught my attention. The fact that they are referred to as the "enemies of Balthazar" is pretty interesting. Perhaps it is just because the Zaishen worship Balthazar, or it is something more. Also, when you win in the event, The Fury says ""Flee shadow minions! This is a battle we cannot win!" Then there is the fact that the Acolyte in the Monastery states these are the forces of Chaos (Dhuum) and Destruction (Menzies).

Perhaps Menzies and Dhuum (or if he is dead, those Demons who still worship Dhuum/trying to revive him/whatever) have formed an alliance. It would explain why both the Fissure of Woe and The Underworld are being invaded at the same time.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar
    Perhaps Menzies and Dhuum (or if he is dead, those Demons who still worship Dhuum/trying to revive him/whatever) have formed an alliance. It would explain why both the Fissure of Woe and The Underworld are being invaded at the same time.
    There may actually be another possibility, such as a literal anti-pantheon of "evil" gods, who are against the known pantheon.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Kind of like the pantheon of gods in Norse mythology,the Vanir and the Aesir? If so,then I wouldn't be surprised. There always have to be good gods and evil gods to have a balanced equilibrium.

What I find odd is how they describe these creatures as an ancient evil.I mean,the location(Tomb of the Primeval Kings)is ancient,but does it really mean these guys are as old as the Tombs?

If they are,I wouldn't be surprised,but it's always good to put fuel to the fire and question if they are or not.Especially since the human's perception of ancient,and say,the Forgotten's perception of ancient could be wildly different considering their lifespans.

Well maybe this evil force wanted to use Shiro as a tool to cripple Cantha and later the world. Realizing that they had failed they wanted to launch an assault while Cantha was still weakened by the plague. The best place to do so is in an area where the Kurzick and Luxon forces wouldn't be stationed.

Server

Desolation
    Guild

Blade and Rose, Edit Conflict
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan The Black
    Well maybe this evil force wanted to use Shiro as a tool to cripple Cantha and later the world. Realizing that they had failed they wanted to launch an assault while Cantha was still weakened by the plague. The best place to do so is in an area where the Kurzick and Luxon forces wouldn't be stationed.
    But why? People have suggested that, after completing the Factions campaign, the Island was unprotected due to the death of Master Togo, and since the Envoys were busy running after Shiro, the "rift" (for lack of a better word) left a gap that allowed souls to "leak" through.

But with the theory that I presented above, and the one that you posted, doesn't say why they invaded. They presented logical explanations as to how they came to be on the Island, but not why.

Well, concerning The Fury's "boss aura" it may have been like what they did with pets in pvp, you know how they have that whole red glow-ness if ur on the red team, and the "enemy forces" in the SJM celestial essence game were the red team, considering the name "enemy forces" was red. I do agree he'll probably be a boss, but I wouldn't yet say he's and Ele just yet, Volitar

PS: First Post in the Lore Forums W00t

Quote Originally Posted by Shokk Mjollnir
    Well, concerning The Fury's "boss aura" it may have been like what they did with pets in pvp, you know how they have that whole red glow-ness if ur on the red team, and the "enemy forces" in the SJM celestial essence game were the red team, considering the name "enemy forces" was red. I do agree he'll probably be a boss, but I wouldn't yet say he's and Ele just yet, Volitar
    thing is, when that's applied, it's usually applied to a whole team. Neither the grasps nor the players gained the normal PVP effect.