PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Titan effigies in relation to the Searing ritual.

While Zayren and I were messing around exploring in Pre-Searing Zayren pointed out that the effigies weren't on fire, and that they were all pointing in a certain direction. We later figured out that nearly all of them point to the Searing Altar. While there isn't an exact shape like I was hoping the dots still do connect.

Take this pic,edit it,change it,see what you can make of the dots. Also,so you can know what directions they pointed I shall provide that information.

The first one in the left corner,south.
    The one nearby it,southeast.
    The one below those two,south.
    The one to the east below the altar(big blob of black),is pointing directly north to the altar. Well,actually,maybe northwest.
    The one north of the last points south towards the altar.
    The one farthest east points west to the one mentioned above.

This may tell us how they performed the ritual to hit just the Ascalon area or it may prove important for something else. Other than that it just seems like this is fairly complex for the Charr mages.

There were four mages guarding the Searing altar which tells us that it took alot of power or energy.This also means these mages may have died with the use of so much energy for the Searing. There was a Necromancer,Monk,Mesmer,and Elementalist there.

How each of them contributed to the ritual I'm still trying to figure out. Though I think the fact that Charr were near each effigy means that maybe they had to light the aflame all at once and the altar for the ritual to take place.
    Last edited by Gmr Leon; 08-07-2006 at 05:19.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    I think the effigies have more of a theological or psychological significance than an actual casting significance, never the less, being religious icons, they'd be important to the moral of the Charr. Also, they may have represented how the Charr gods (the Titans) were "looking on" as the ritual was cast.

Hypothesis on the significance of the various mages:
    Necromancer- Contributed by adding an effect that kept plant life from regrowing
    Monk- Kept the others alive long enough to cast the spell
    Mesmer- Added the power of chaos, so that the lands of Ascalon would be unreconisably warped
    Elementist- Added the "searing" heat factor and the part where the Crystals reigned down.

That's just one possible hypothesis though, it is by no means the only one.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

While you may be right,it is also to be remembered the Titans could,like Glint outstretch their hand and interact with the Charr,in theory that is. They may have taught them what to do for the ritual.We may also not know it,but those Titan effigies when lit may have a magical potency that provides the Charr with morale/strength in battle.

Though in the Searing ritual the effigies may have been lit all at once. In which they were like veins through the land going to the altar. Providing the Charr mages with both the power to cast it and to provide their troops with the strength to charge forth and attack the human kingdoms.

According to the Lore the effigiies burn 'till daylight.
    And it seems pretty daylight to me in Pre-Searing. :]
    In Post-Searing they probably let it burn (even in daylight?) perhaps as sign of victory/going to battle/ritual honouring.
    I do however, wonder when they put out a 'mursaat' effigy, or a 'titan' effigy.
    I wonder what's the difference between them in their culture.

I believe the mursaat ones are closer to their Flame Temple's/places of sacrifices (Flame Temple Corridor)

While the Titan ones are more in and around the battlefield.
    Pre Searing's Northlands, Nolani Academy mission.
    Last edited by moenbase; 08-07-2006 at 09:53.

Also, the area around the Searing shrine thingy (a bit bigger than the compass on an estimate), there was a strange redd-ish glow, maybe an omen of sorts, or the air was red with ash, anyway, perhaps we can get some screenshots today (*hint hint*). And, on a side note, those 4 mages took forever to kill! (They're my new arch-enemies!)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

Memento Vivere, Mystic Spiral
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayren
    Also, the area around the Searing shrine thingy (a bit bigger than the compass on an estimate), there was a strange redd-ish glow, maybe an omen of sorts, or the air was red with ash, anyway, perhaps we can get some screenshots today (*hint hint*). And, on a side note, those 4 mages took forever to kill! (They're my new arch-enemies!)
    These are the only pics I got from my pre-sear days, revolving the ritual:

Here we see the Titan, which is on a hill infront of the alter.

The redish air, looks chaotic imo.

And here is when they fired the spell. Maybe it isn't clear, but Charr warrior and the like are surrounding the alter.

Hope it contributes a little. x.x

Alright, I just discovered something, in the Searing video, you can very clearly making out the crystals if you pay close attention, also, the Titan effigy next to the Searing altar is on fire, but it's not if you just normally go out there...

I am sure about what I am going to say, those four mages at the pre-searing altar are to be killed at the end of the Nolani mission. I remember Ghast *something, perhaps Ashpire* being the necromancer of the 4, and he is definetly in the Nolani mission. So they didn't die performing the Searing, so that clears that.

Edit: Ghast Ashpyre is a mesmer boss, and I check on wiki, he is in both areas.
    Last edited by mrmango; 09-07-2006 at 23:59.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    It's interesting to note what being able to kill the mages, yet not prevent the Searing implies that the Searing was not triggered or dependant on these four mages, but rather, controlled remotely.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Yes, but they still come back during the cinematic, so that just shows that they aren't meant to be killed for good during pre.

Or they got resurected using some Charr ritual. OH, perhaps they did perish, and using Lady Althea's body as a sacrifice they completed this. XD