Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Book thread!

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Finished A Clash of Kings in time for Season 2 Episode 2 of Game of Thrones, not that it matters much since it'll likely be tomorrow that I'll get to watch it while my stupid dad watches the same old NCIS repeat for the umpteenth time.

[EDIT] Yep, it's going to have to be tomorrow. Now the idiot's watching True Blood, again, likely a repeat.
    Last edited by The Pointless; 09-04-2012 at 22:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
    1400 pages, hardcover, 7.19.
    I bought my copy for 3 euro, so a third the price. It's worth it btw, excellent edition (though if you're new to Sherlock Holmes, the Penguin collections novel is a much lighter read and will introduce you to all his most well known stories). Doesn't Denmark have big corporate garage sales on books or something (like the Benelux Boekenfestijn)?

Just thought about if for a moment but barring gifts, I never buy books over 5eu anymore. It's just unnecessary.

Oh and Russel's History of Western Philosophy is great! Though the audiobook version is lighter education.
    Last edited by Akirai Annuvil; 09-04-2012 at 22:01.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I finished up Only Yesterday last week, a history of the 1920s in the US, written in 1931. Really great book, highly recommended.

Then I read this short essay called "War is a Racket" that you can find the full text of online. It's basically about how all these companies profit off war. Another great read.

I am currently reading Party of One: A Loner's Manifesto. I'm undecided about it thus far. It's interesting, but pretty slanted. For example, the author talks about a friend who was making a film in Africa who was a loner and was ostracized for not being more social, who ultimately "gave up on her dream" because she was a loner. But the quote from the actual woman who was living in Africa sounded more like she was craving social interaction: At one point, she was relating how all her roommates moved out and toward the end, she wished even her rudest roommate had stuck around. Seems counter to the loner thing.

So... Lonely People Secretly Wish They Weren't Lonely, the book?

Most anti-social people I know actually want companionship. It's usually that they're either socially awkward, holding on to anger/hurt from the past, or the people they're around are obnoxious. I've got friends who are kind of the loner type, and it just takes patience on my part to stay their friend. It can be worth it, though, when they let you in past their defensive shell.
    Last edited by Zalis; 03-05-2012 at 16:29.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    After reading the three crime novels around Carl Moerck & his "cold case" unit, I have picked up Jussie Adler Olsen's first novel, called "The Alphabet House", which is pretty disappointing so far compared to the other three books. The plot is so unrealistic and I really do not care about the two main characters, James & Bryan.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    So... Lonely People Secretly Wish They Weren't Lonely, the book?

Most anti-social people I know actually want companionship. It's usually that they're either socially awkward, holding on to anger/hurt from the past, or the people they're around are obnoxious. I've got friends who are kind of the loner type, and it just takes patience on my part to stay their friend. It can be worth it, though, when they let you in past their defensive shell.
    lol Basically.

I'm by no means a lonely person, but I think I lean a bit more to the loner side. I get along with most people, but I'm slow to fully invest in a friendship because I find most people are better kept as acquaintances. I also used to be pretty needy, so I am a little cautious about misjudging / overstepping the boundaries of a friendship. But if I find that I like someone and they seem to be investing as much in our friendship as I do, I give 100% into the relationship. I can see how someone I didn't want to be friends with would say it takes patience to be my friend lol But not if I like the person.
    Last edited by RD; 03-05-2012 at 16:47.

City of Dragons by Robin Hobb.
    It's by Robin Hobb.
    Go read.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    *glances at his ever-expanding pile of unread books* >_>
    I'll make a note of it.

David Mitchell books are gonna be my next stop. I have high hopes for Cloud Atlas and 1000 Autumns of de Vries.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Gave up on that Party of One book. Got a quarter of the way through it and the pretentiousness overwhelmed me. Wish I hadn't dropped $10 on that.

Currently reading The Siege of Washington, about 12 days when DC was apparently totally undefended during the Civil War. The south supposedly could have easily taken it and was threatening to, but never did. So far so good.