PC Gaming News
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Book thread!

Right now, I'm working my way through all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. Currently about half done with Lords and Ladies. That'll be fourteen books, and another twenty-five to go... I've already read most of them, but never all in one go. They're definitely worth rereading, though.

For people who aren't familiar with them, I'll put it this way: imagine Lord of the Rings written with the humor of Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, but weirder, and oddly reflecting our world. The series was off to a kind of shaky start with the first couple of books (they were still good, mind you, but read more as a series of vaguely related short stories than a cohesive whole), but after that Pratchett really caught his stride, and hasn't let up yet.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Listening to the audio book of the second Eragon novel. The extensive use of the dwarven language is pretty annoying, as well as all the "wuff" sounds, but the narrator uses a Russian accent for the dwarves, so sometimes it is funny as a small equalizer.

As my current Kindle read, I had several free crime novels, which are sometimes boring and sometimes OK.

PS: The Jussie Adler Olsen novel (see last post) did not get any better, defiantly no recommendation.
    Last edited by Gorani; 04-06-2012 at 08:25.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

I'm reading A Dance with Dragons. So far it is way better than A Feast for Crows. It follows the interesting characters, and there are once again plenty of cliffhangers. Hopefully for HBO's Game of Thrones, they will merge parts of Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons into one season. Because an entire season without Tyrion would be a dull affair, much like large parts of the previous book were.
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 04-06-2012 at 19:45.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    I'm reading A Dance with Dragons. So far it is way better than A Feast for Crows. It follows the interesting characters, and there are once again plenty of cliffhangers. Hopefully for HBO's Game of Thrones, they will merge parts of Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons into once season. Because an entire season without Tyrion would be a dull affair, much like large parts of the previous book were.
    Well, didn't they already start to mix the books in the TV series? (IIRC there is one without any Jon Snow or Danaerys chapters)

Oh, the second Eragon book (audio books playing for hours in my flat today) features almost every stereotype about dwarves and elves - disappointing.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    Well, didn't they already start to mix the books in the TV series? (IIRC there is one without any Jon Snow or Danaerys chapters)
    That would be Feast for Crows. But apart from that, I have only seen them lift minor dialogues from later books into season 2.

Oh, the second Eragon book (audio books playing for hours in my flat today) features almost every stereotype about dwarves and elves - disappointing.
    Isn't Eragon the worst kind of cliche fantasy, that fantasy has to offer?

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Isn't Eragon the worst kind of cliche fantasy, that fantasy has to offer?
    I've read the first book when it came out in 2004. It was kind of OK in the beginning but featured things I didn't like later on (mindless travelling around, turning a 15 year old into a super warrior within weeks, the mind link etc.). The movie followed those footsteps a few years later. Perhaps the audio books make things even more obvious and the comparison to Game of Thrones is fresh in my mind, which makes it worse, as Dragons are awesomely fierce there and not talking and eating from banquet tables.

PS: Currently reading Jo Nesbo's "Panserhjerte" ("The leopard" in German) which is another "scandinavian crime novel" (the 8th one in a series of books about the same police inspector). It was a free Kindle download a while ago and so far I like it: Murders are grizzly, main character is flawed but still believable and it looks like I don't miss a lot not having read the previous books.
    Last edited by Gorani; 05-06-2012 at 07:30.

I always wonder why the writer did not get sued by George Lucas... try reading the first book and every time he writes Eragon read Luke.

The books get progressively worse and you can skip at least 75% of the last one without missing anything relevant to the story. If his editor had done her job and cut the irrelevant filler the story would have fit in 2 books instead of 4.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
    Right now, I'm working my way through all of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. Currently about half done with Lords and Ladies. That'll be fourteen books, and another twenty-five to go... I've already read most of them, but never all in one go. They're definitely worth rereading, though.
    Oh, Lords and Ladies? A favorite of mine!

About two-thirds of the way into Soul Music. Then it's on to Interesting Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalis View Post
    Oh, Lords and Ladies? A favorite of mine!

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Feannag View Post
    If you haven't played Max Payne 2, Lords & Ladies was one of the in-game TV series littered throughout the game's progression. If you ran through everything, they were just background noise. It was kind of fun to stop and watch how ridiculous they were, though. That's what I'll miss in the new, Rockstar-made Max Payne 3. Not that Rockstar is necessarily boring, but Remedy had such a goofy sense of dark humor.

Like Dick Justice, which was a satirized, 1970s version the first Max Payne game (starts @ ~8:50).