PC Gaming News
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 391

Thread: Book thread!

  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I have like 10-20 pounds too many, it's not really a health issue at this point, it's more cosmetic which I frankly think is something people should learn to worry less about. The point remains though that once you stop lying to yourself, you can make a simple decision as to whether you want to pay the price (exercise, diet) to get the rewards (health, looks)... and then feel good about the decision you made.

    Atm, my main issue is spending too much time on stuff that doesn't matter, and not enough on stuff that matters. But if I was really worried about it, I would do something about it.
    20 pounds just makes a hug feel better. If it's 50 pounds... yeah, that you should do something about.

    But, yeah. I agree on everything except one thing. If spending time on stuff that doesn't matter doesn't worry you... Well, it should.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Just placed a review of Snow White and the Huntsman in the movie thread. Ending spoiler:

    Spoiler




    Well a lot of fairytales are about a character who is down on his/her luck, but in the end has good things happen to him/her, with the villains receiving horrible punishment. That is pretty much the way Snow White goes, and Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast and Hansel and Gretel, The Wishing-Table, the Gold-@ss (donkey!), and the Cudgel in the Sack, and many others.



    I wish I had the book that contained the original tale of Aladdin (AKA "Aladdin's Wonderful Lamp"). I think he was originally a Chinese boy, if I remember correctly. And the princess that Aladdin marries is named Badroulbadour, not Jasmine. Its an Arabian tale set in a fictional China which happens to be a rather Arabian version of China that doesn't resemble reality (maybe the original teller of the story did not know much about China).

    I also wish I had the books that contained "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves" and "The Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor".
    Yeah... the new Snow White movie seems kinda... less fairytale, more action movie. Maybe I should see it, but I don't expect to like it?

    Anyway yes, most fairytales, and a whole lot of other stories as well, center around something bad happening, and then the characters overcome their troubles somehow and get a good ending. That doesn't mean that they all have the same meaning. The ugly duckling, specifically, have its main character being born to a seemingly bad life - it is completely out of his control, he is a freakish misfit. Then he becomes an outcast. Then by some complete deus ex machina he is welcomed into a group of very beautiful and successful people (the swans). This is definitely not the same as in tales where the persistent effort, or even whimsical choice, of the involved characters overcome hardships - such as in Snow White or most of the others you mention - both the troubles and its solution are predetermined. Of course, a duck mother can't lay swan eggs. That's why the story is about a renegade misfit's wish for a predetermined deus ex machina to save him from his situation - a person without hope wouldn't hope for himself, or anyone else, to save him, so that's all that's left.
    It's really a very sad story, but then again it's written by a Danish guy.

    Are you serious about that last part. I looked on Amazon and they cost like $30 together. Probably you will have some stories twice if you buy that.

    They also have the entire 1001 Nights for $82 lol

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Are you serious about that last part. I looked on Amazon and they cost like $30 together. Probably you will have some stories twice if you buy that.

    They also have the entire 1001 Nights for $82 lol
    Unfortunately they don't have the missing books from the series that I own. Its not about the stories, but more about having the other books that belong in this awesome illustrated series. Its a shame that the copies I own do not happen to contain the most famous stories of all. The great thing about these two books, is that apart from the wonderful art, they are also very old translations, still written in old Dutch. It also means they aren't censored, and all the adult humour is still intact.

  3. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Unfortunately they don't have the missing books from the series that I own. Its not about the stories, but more about having the other books that belong in this awesome illustrated series. Its a shame that the copies I own do not happen to contain the most famous stories of all. The great thing about these two books, is that apart from the wonderful art, they are also very old translations, still written in old Dutch. It also means they aren't censored, and all the adult humour is still intact.
    Ahh... I see your problem... That's the thing about series, isn't it? You must finish them.

  4. #224
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    RD's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    Dii, TRUE
    Posts

    10,608
    I finished up Siege of Washington this morning. It took me an inexcusably long time to get through (over two months ), but it was a good, easy ready. Could be a little wordy in places and I felt like maybe it went on a little too long, but it was good. Guess the new commute is good for one thing

  5. #225
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    22,615
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    But, yeah. I agree on everything except one thing. If spending time on stuff that doesn't matter doesn't worry you... Well, it should.
    I meant it in a "I understand I could be spending my time better especially in view of potential long-term gains, but I also realize the need to keep oneself happy in the now... and while I may be more focused on the now than I probably should, I still maintain a fairly good balance".

    Yes, I would worry if the now useless stuff took over my life, but then, I wouldn't let that happen.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I meant it in a "I understand I could be spending my time better especially in view of potential long-term gains, but I also realize the need to keep oneself happy in the now... and while I may be more focused on the now than I probably should, I still maintain a fairly good balance".

    Yes, I would worry if the now useless stuff took over my life, but then, I wouldn't let that happen.
    Keeping oneself happy at the moment is important, because after all, what is life apart from the moments that it consists of? Making sure that future moments are happy as well is all good and very important, but sometimes, you just have to cash in as well.

  7. #227
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    22,615
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Keeping oneself happy at the moment is important
    Yeah. One needs to find a good balance in all things.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  8. #228
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    RD's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    Dii, TRUE
    Posts

    10,608
    I think you need to balance your work with your happy moments. I have a good job, I am investing in my retirement, I have health insurance. If I have a day where I feel like napping on and off most of the day (like I did on Sunday) and that makes me happy for the day, then I'm going to do it. I try not to worry too much about the future, even though, like most people, I do sometimes worry about my dismal romantic state. But it could be worse, that I know.

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Yeah. One needs to find a good balance in all things.
    Well, that. But also, it's about optimization.

    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I think you need to balance your work with your happy moments. I have a good job, I am investing in my retirement, I have health insurance. If I have a day where I feel like napping on and off most of the day (like I did on Sunday) and that makes me happy for the day, then I'm going to do it. I try not to worry too much about the future, even though, like most people, I do sometimes worry about my dismal romantic state. But it could be worse, that I know.
    How many million singles live in NYC anyways?

  10. #230
    Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    RD's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    Dii, TRUE
    Posts

    10,608
    I'd guess a couple million, which makes the single homos probably a few hundred thousand. Like I said, it could be worse lol

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off