PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Thumper

take both, get more occasional KD.

you, obviously need to learn to PvP. I'm serious.

Monks on their butt arn't healing.
    warriors on their butt give your team time to kite.

among a whole host of others.

take a guess at why thumpers are used for pressure, not spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reikai
    take both, get more occasional KD.

you, obviously need to learn to PvP. I'm serious.

Monks on their butt arn't healing.
    warriors on their butt give your team time to kite.

among a whole host of others.

take a guess at why thumpers are used for pressure, not spikes.

Monks who are dead arent healing either. And with the build Ive been running, Ive killed nearly everything Ive had a hance to, as long as I had a monk in my group. I know how to PVP. Do you know how many monks take a condition removal skill? And poison + that occasional KD + consant damage, and they are tied up constantly healing themselves. The same effect in my opinion.

Also the reason I chose LR over TF was a good choice on my part. As I was not using any adrenaline based skkills I only needed that 10 seconds of IAS for that spike to kill somone. Also, LR helped me not take as much damage.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsdemise
    Monks who are dead arent healing either. And with the build Ive been running, Ive killed nearly everything Ive had a hance to, as long as I had a monk in my group. I know how to PVP. Do you know how many monks take a condition removal skill? And poison + that occasional KD + consant damage, and they are tied up constantly healing themselves. The same effect in my opinion.

Also the reason I chose LR over TF was a good choice on my part. As I was not using any adrenaline based skkills I only needed that 10 seconds of IAS for that spike to kill somone. Also, LR helped me not take as much damage.
    if you think your builds all fine and dandy, why'd you come here to ask for help in the first place?

Thumpers are used for pressure.

Your build provides much less pressure than a thumper bringinng both Irresistable and Hammer Bash.

If you want poison, put the apply poison in, and drop like Crushing Blow.

If you really think all the monk is going to do is heal himself and not heal others, then I don't know what kind of monks you are playing against.

I also don't understand what "spike" you are refering to. Bunny Thumpers have little to no real "spike" ability. To me, a "spike" is a quick blow that can kill a target in 1/2 seconds or less.

Any longer, and its infusable, which in my opinion, makes the spike suck.

You obviously do not know how to PvP (and even if you do its quite a pathetic level of PvP.)

Next time, if you don't intend to change your build, don't come here looking for help in the first place.

if you think your builds all fine and dandy, why'd you come here to ask for help in the first place?

Thumpers are used for pressure.

Your build provides much less pressure than a thumper bringinng both Irresistable and Hammer Bash.

If you want poison, put the apply poison in, and drop like Crushing Blow.

If you really think all the monk is going to do is heal himself and not heal others, then I don't know what kind of monks you are playing against.

I also don't understand what "spike" you are refering to. Bunny Thumpers have little to no real "spike" ability. To me, a "spike" is a quick blow that can kill a target in 1/2 seconds or less.

Any longer, and its infusable, which in my opinion, makes the spike suck.

You obviously do not know how to PvP (and even if you do its quite a pathetic level of PvP.)

Next time, if you don't intend to change your build, don't come here looking for help in the first place.
    Your right Im such a noob. But will you effing read? I mean, I orignally came here for the question HAMMER BASH OR POISON. I didnt come for anything else. I dont intend on changing Irresistable and Crushing. So for once, instead of putting someone down... Be helpful or just dont post. Your help is not wanted on this thread anymore, and any advice you give me, will be ignored. Im such a noob, I wouldnt understand it anyways. So now go have fun with your high-class, elite guild wars characters, and will someone generous enough, and with a little care answer my original question.

A modified 'thumper' build that I like to use in random arena that uses wilderness survival instead of beast mastery works as follows:

1. Irresistable blow
    2. Distracting blow (could substitute for crushing blow, but I like having at least some interuption)
    3. Devastating hammer {e}
    4. "On Your Knees"
    5. Storm chaser
    6. Lightning reflexes
    7. Troll unguent
    8. Res signet.

You lose the 'weakness' of your pet dying and losing you all your adrenaline/preventing you spamming irresistable blow (you also lose the damage that the pet does which can be quite considerable - part of the weakness of this build is you lose that alternative source of damage). You also have a self heal (+8 at 10 wilderness or +10 at 14) and energy isn't too big an issue (your not spamming the pet attack just to get energy for a pet attack) (usually going 13 expertise, 9 expertise would also work but in my opinion isn't as good), and your IAS stance is also your defensive stance. If you need to chase a kiting foe then you can. Using either stance you should be able to refresh either with the knockdown and "on your knees" combo (if other knockdowns are available then you can "on your knees" off of someone else's knockdown) whilst still in either stance.

10 / (1.75*0.66) ~8.6 or about 2 extra attacks than required to get devastating hammer and 'on your knees' charged.
    16/ (1.75) ~9.1 so enough extra attacks to recharge storm chaser, if they are slowed by an external source or forced to stop and heal occasionally.

rofl.

Thumpers use a Vampiric Hammer, to deal damage.

Zealous on a hammer is impractical and in the long run makes you loose more energy than you gain.

Furious is a joke. Don't ever bring it up again.
    Go try it out first buddy. Putting high expertise on a thumper is the real joke.

Just a couple of points Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    You lose the 'weakness' of your pet dying and losing you all your adrenaline/preventing you spamming irresistable blow
    Pet death shuts you down for a very short while, you still build adrenalin as you hit skilllessly and in anycase, Irresitable blow doesn't need adrenalin so you lose one hit of it through pet shutdown, which is pretty rare anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    energy isn't too big an issue (your not spamming the pet attack just to get energy for a pet attack)
    Every 8 seconds is hardly spamming, and in any case, your pet does big damage and nets you +7 energy per hit over and above what it cost you to spam, you get adrenaline too, it's one of the good elites.

13 expertise:

Irresistable blow every 5 seconds (about what you can expect as it triggers on the next attack) for 2 energy ~ 1 pip of regen (actually slightly more).

IAS stance every 10 seconds for 4 energy ~ 1 pip of regen (actually slightly more).

Crushing blow every 10 seconds (if you wanted the damage or just to reapply the deep wound with the predictable hammer bash) brings the total to pretty much exactly 1 energy per second or the rangers 3 pips of regen.

Any other energy you spend would have to come either from long term supply (using up your 25 energy over a course of time) or from energy management (ferocious strike).

That said I do like ferocious strike as a beast master skill, I just like using the build I mention for random arena. Ferocious strike is only 1 adrenaline, and that is if it hits. (You may be able to knockdown through guardian (assuming no ward of stability, etc.) but your pet cannot reliably hit.)

I do mention the loss of pet damage is a downside...

Yes but you need to keep Tiger's Fury going all the time to make the hammer pressure better, so without ferocious strike you are out of energy too fast.

And use Druid's armour, 25 is neverugh :)

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I(mproved)A(attack)S(peed) stance every 10 seconds for 4 energy ~ 1 pip of regen (actually slightly more).
    See quote...