PC Gaming News

Ritual Lord PvE Build -- Suggestions Needed

Okay, this is my first time playing Factions, and I decided to go with a Ritualist. So far, I've only used Henches for every mission aside from the one I just completed - the Luxon mission to get the Spear. I'm about to head off back to the Undercity now to face Shiro. So I am pretty near the end of the campaign.

I've got a good feel for the character I am playing, and I really like the Ritualist. However, I am still a novice and need help with my build, which is strictly for PvE.

Ritualist/Monk

Spawning Power 12 +1 (13)
    Communing 12 +4 (16)
    Restoration 2
    Healing Prayers 2

Skills:
    Ritual Lord (Elite)
    Boon of Creation
    Union
    Shelter
    Displacement
    Resilient Weapon
    Healing Breeze
    Rebirth

I don't have Ritual Lord yet, but when I get it I plan to include it in the build. This will be my average group build. I intend to play it like a typical Ritual Lord build, with some key differences.

Most Ritual Lord's take Signet of Creation, but I have not noticed any real benefit to using it. At the most, my spirits *MIGHT* be able to sustain a single extra attack. However, more often than not the benefit of taking a skill slot I found is negotiable.

I've taken Rebirth instead of a Ritualist Skill. Flesh of my Flesh could replace it, I suppose, but I am not really big on skills that sacrifice life. To top it off, Rebirth also allows me to bring someone who has died to my location, and I find that this is extremely useful if I am the last one standing and need to get someone out from under the feet of Mobs.

My Resilient Weapon lasts for 7 seconds and adds +2 Health Regeneration and +24 armor. The idea is to use that in conjunction with my healing breeze which adds +4 health regeneration for 10 seconds. Used together it allows me to give someone +6 Health Regeneration and +24 armor.

I find that regeneration spells are more useful to me due to the lack of divine favor, in addition to that they help counter degen and give a healer time to heal. The benefits to using these skills together is very good I've found, and they just take up the remaining attributes that are left over. It allows me to take some pressure off of a Primary Healer, and even do emergency saves. RW is especially good for soft target characters that seem to suddenly get the focus of melee mobs.

Any tips or suggestions? Is this a solid PvE build?

+4 regen will not save an emergency. It will just let enemy mesmers shattered it to immediately spike your target down.

Rit Lords are protecters, not really healers. But if you really want to help those monks, use feast of souls on displacement.

I usually take:
    1) Boon of Creation
    2) Ritual Lord
    3) Displacement
    4) Shelter
    5) Union
    6) Recuperation
    7) Life
    8) Flesh of My Flesh/rez

Kind of protect/monked Abaddon's Mouth with it in a pug team. No healer monk, omg omg omg omg!!! :-/
    This prot build works great when there are no 2 life monks, which is sometimes prefered. (Raisu Palace, Vizunah, Hell's, etc.)

It's also fun to use some offensive spirit build:
    1) Boon of Creation
    2) Ritual Lord
    3) Pain
    4) Shadowsong
    5) Dissonance
    6) Bloodsong
    7) Shelter
    8) Flesh/rez

The dmg isnt that great, but 4 artillery spirits that does a steady dmg, blinds, and interupts....thats kinda cool. :]

Boon of Creation is needed in both builds to maintain energy management.
    Last edited by moenbase; 14-07-2006 at 13:16.

Well so far I've not found that to be the case. Although this may be because I've been playing with Henches, and it's much easier to coordinate attacks with them. Mesmers die pretty early in the battle.

The PUG I played with I noticed RW coming in very handy for when a caster became the focus of attacks, Healing Breeze was useful as well - although this may have been because the Healer we had with us sucked. I actually began taking Healing Breeze with me because I found it useful to cast on myself right before I targeted the enemy for the Henches to attack. It meant that I became the main focus of the initial attack and had to soak up some damage. Having HB on me helped with that.

I can't see any real benefit for using Feast of Souls. It destroys all nearby spirits and heals the entire party for 93 HP.

If Displacement is still active and can take one more attack, it means that whoever is about to be attacked can evade it. If Shelter and Union are still alive and each can take one more attack, it means that whoever is attacked next cannot lose more than 10% of their maximum health from a single attack, and that attack will be reduced by 15 damage.

Personally, I find that more useful than a dinky little 93 HP heal. Sure, it can heal the entire party - but how often does the *ENTIRE* party need healing? If the entire party needs healing, I would argue that they will need more than 93 HP.

Certainly, I can see the usefulness of Feast of Souls, but I have a hard time justifying putting it in a skill slot. I'd find more use for, say Mend Body and Soul. I'd remove the 2 points from Healing Prayers and put it in Restoration (bringing it up to 3). Mend Body and Soul would allow me to heal an ally for 25 Health, and have that ally lose one condition for each allied spirit in the area. That would be more useful for a condition remover, with a minor heal.

I could see more use in Spirit to Flesh, allowing me to touch a single spirit, killing it and healing all nearby allies for 212 - which is a good amount. The downside is that they have to be nearby.

I could also see a use to Spirit Light, allowing me to heal a target ally for 71 health, and if spirits are nearby then I don't have to sacrifice any health to do it. Although, I'd question the usefulness of being a healer like this if the group already has one.

There is also the possibility of using Vengeful Weapon on the main tank, allowing him to steal 23 Health from a foe each time he takes damage. It only lasts 8 seconds, but it may more or less eliminate any damage done to him and allow him to deal even more damage - meaning that the main healer has less healing to do.

I could also bring Dissonance or Disenchantment, allowing me to summon a spirit that interrupts and does 16 damage, or a spirit that does 16 damage while removing enchantments.

Earthbind could also be useful depending on who is in the group, what skills are being brought and where the party is fighting. Earthbind knocks down all non-Spirit foes within it's range for at least 3 seconds, losing 23 Health each time it happens. Great for interruption, as well as for anyone using Aftershock. I wonder if it is more useful than Dissonance? I'll have to test it.

I can also bring Soothing, which causes all foes within its range to take twice as long to build up adrenaline. This would be great for warrior heavy areas, effectively lowering the damage taken. (Always better to avoid damage than to have to heal it afterward.)

Just some thoughts on possible replacements for Healing Breeze. I'll have to group with more real people to find out if it is useful with them, the downside is that I find Henches actually do a better job than most real people.

Hey Moenbase, a question about your offensive spirit build. I like it and find it interesting, but I am wondering if this is a better setup?

Spawning Power 12 (13)
    Communing 12 +4 (16)

Boon of Creation
    Pain
    Bloodsong
    Dissonance
    Union/Shelter
    Doom
    Rupture Soul
    Flesh of my Flesh/Rebirth/Other Res

I removed Ritual Lord because I didn't see any real benefit to using it. The main two attacking spirits are Pain and Bloodsong, and they both should outlive the time it takes for them to recharge; only Dissonance will not make it.

I put Doom in there because it allows you to attack for 36 damage for every recharging Binding Ritual you have. This allows you to do max damage with the spell (136 damage) every 15 seconds, meaning you can cast it roughly 3 times before your spirits recharge to do a total of 408 damage.

Union or Shelter is useful if you have a Ritual Lord in the group, allowing you to bring up Union/Shelter as soon as his Union/Shelter dies. (That's pretty much the only reason I'd play this build, when getting into a group that already has adequate protection, healing, and another Ritual Lord.)

Rupture Soul is useful to use on Shelter/Union and Dissonance as they are about to die, allowing you to do 128 lightning damage to all nearby enemies, in addition to blinding them for 11 seconds.

Honestly, I just don't see the use for bringing Ritual Lord along, and I think you should revise your build to reflect that.

Also, I am wondering about Anguished Was Lingwah it allows you to carry Lingwah's ashes for 158 seconds, dropping them to summon a level 11 Spirit of Pain that does 21 damage. I wonder if using AWL will allow you to get an extra Spirit of Pain? It does not count as a Binding Ritual, though.

GWOnline.Net Member
    My version I've used since a week or so after Factions was released:

Attributes: 16 communing, 15 spawning power
    Items: Spawning staff +30hp head / +30hp wrapping

Skills:
    - Ritual Lord [E]
    - Boon of Creation
    - Feast of Souls
    - Pain
    - Unity
    - Shelter
    - Displacement
    - Signet of Resurrection / Flesh of my Flesh

Use: Just base the area with spirits before conflict, then keep reapplying as they run out. Shelter is essential against big damage dealers, Protective Spirit is useless from a monk as it's an expensive single-target spell whereas Shelter protects everyone. Unity works wonders with Shelter, reducing the damage to a manageable level. These two usually get to be active constantly, and when they get spiked to death, you know you just saved half of your team from dying.

Displacement is ideal for the simple breather it gives. Against large mobs it may seem useless, but it prevents the enemy spike in the beginning of the battle and is invaluable against strong and slow mobs and bosses.

The purpose of Pain is to give a simple fast and cheap spirit for Feast of Souls. Place Pain a bit off from the other spirits so you can use Feast of Souls on it alone, sparing the other spirits... but also close enough that if a panic arises or if the other spirits are about to die of use anyway, you can get into range of both groups and put off that massive 300-400hp party heal.

Then just keep your eyes open and keep spamming spirits and healing. As you can be way further off than anyone else, you won't get hit so the double superior rune is good (this relies on spirits' power and HP, so you want them to be as good as possible as they're the only thing this build is made for). But the +hp is decent if the unexpected happens. Since your energy isn't used in spikes thanks to Boon of Creation, you won't need the +energy component to your staff either.

The build is slow and predictable, and rather easy to manage. But it's *extremely* powerful. The typical hard PvE missions in the end are ridiculously easy when I'm using this ritualist in random teams, compared to when I'm playing something else instead.

Also, with some changes to offensive spirits instead (Pain, Bloodsong, Shadowsong, that disrupting spirit), the ritualist becomes a godly soloer. I've gotten quite a few Sskai's Swords with that version of it, chance of success 100%.
    Last edited by Foradasthar; 14-07-2006 at 14:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Torm Shadowbane
    The PUG I played with I noticed RW coming in very handy for when a caster became the focus of attacks, Healing Breeze was useful as well - although this may have been because the Healer we had with us sucked. I actually began taking Healing Breeze with me because I found it useful to cast on myself right before I targeted the enemy for the Henches to attack. It meant that I became the main focus of the initial attack and had to soak up some damage. Having HB on me helped with that.
    You can be just out of agro range and still force henches to attack. If you do somehow come under heavy fire, don't stand there and tank, run away. A 2 HP Healbreeze or 2 Restoration RW is silly.
    I can't see any real benefit for using Feast of Souls. It destroys all nearby spirits and heals the entire party for 93 HP.
    If you're about to replace your spirits anyway, a ~100 Heal Party (I run 15/14) is pretty insane.
    There is also the possibility of using Vengeful Weapon on the main tank, allowing him to steal 23 Health from a foe each time he takes damage.
    Just the first time; it's like a vampiric Reversal of Fortune.
    I could also bring Dissonance or Disenchantment, allowing me to summon a spirit that interrupts and does 16 damage, or a spirit that does 16 damage while removing enchantments.
    Depends on area. My group asked me to bring Dissonance for Unwaking Waters, for example, but Shadowsong was rather more useful for Imperial Sanctum.

Don't put any points into Restoration: It's a waste.

Anyways, this will answer all your questions...

Heres a defensive one I use

Rt/Me

Communing 14 (12+1+2)
    Spawning 14 (12+2)
    Restoration 3 (2+1)
    Inspiration 6

Equipnment:
    Full Halcyon Armor for energy
    Insightful Spawning Staff of Enchantment

Ritual Lord
    Boon of Creation
    Signet of Creation
    Shelter
    Union
    Shadowsong
    Mantra of Resolve (or Free Slot)
    Lively was Nameoi or Flesh of My Flesh or Free slot

Mantra of Resolve is to stop interupts which can screw you since and interupted spirit summon does not gain the effects of Rt Lord. If Im not using it I swap it out for Earthbind, Pain, Dissonace, Vital Weapon or Feast of Souls. Also drain the points form Insipration and raise my Communig to 15, I believe.