PC Gaming News

How do you talk to Kurzick or Luxon NPCs?

Okay, first off I'm not in a guild. Nor do I plan to be. I've gone through the entirety of Prophecies, I have six characters, I've gotten along just fine without a guild and don't care to change.

I bought Factions not too long ago. I just recently got to Tanglewood Copse. Nobody there will talk to me. I try to sell or buy stuff to the merchant and she says that unless I'm an ally of the Kurzicks I'd better go away before she calls the guard.

So this has got me wondering. How am I supposed to open up the NPCs in the Kurzick and Luxon outposts to be able to talk to them? How am I going to be able to buy the Kurzick armor for my Elementalist that I want? Is my gold somehow no good unless I'm allied with the Kurzicks? Am I now required to join a guild, just to be able to sell something in a Kurzick outpost? Because that would be kind of like a slap in the face. Is there anything I can do to align myself with a particular faction, or am I forced to join an alliance just to be able to get armor and sell my drops?

Teg
    Quote Originally Posted by Sable Phoenix

So this has got me wondering. How am I supposed to open up the NPCs in the Kurzick and Luxon outposts to be able to talk to them? How am I going to be able to buy the Kurzick armor for my Elementalist that I want? Is my gold somehow no good unless I'm allied with the Kurzicks? Am I now required to join a guild, just to be able to sell something in a Kurzick outpost? Because that would be kind of like a slap in the face. Is there anything I can do to align myself with a particular faction, or am I forced to join an alliance just to be able to get armor and sell my drops?
    You don't have to join a guild BUT you do have to gain some faction on the side you which to transact business with. You can have factions for both sides but you can only transact to the side which has the most factions as indicated in your Hero window.

Okay... thanks for that info, that's a relief. What do I do to gain faction with each side?

Teg
    You have the choice of joining Alliance Battles (but you have to be in a guild or a guest in a guild to do that) or do the quests in either sides (some are repeatable) that gives you factions.

Yeah, there's not really much you can do in Kurzick or Luxon outposts until you beat Sunjiang District and pick a side. Then you can do Fort Aspenwood or the Jade Quarry, or do various quests for Kurizck/Luxon faction.
    W/E20 Alaron Sefard Mo/Me20 Light Cleric
    N/Mo20 Animate Bone Noobs E/Mo20 Noob Attunement
    Rt/Mo8 lol Fire Spirit(capital I)

Quests or missions, usually. As soon as you advance the storyline enough to actually gain entrance to the real Kurzick/Luxon territories, you'll be able to lay up a bit of faction and start talking to their merchant/trader NPCs.
    Also, just as a note, it's ONLY the merchant/trader NPCs that require faction to talk to. All the quest-giving NPCs will still give you their quests.

I've heard that some people have both Luxon and Kurzick armor for one character; I'm inferring from that that it's possible to switch sides in the game? Can you jump back and forth between sides as you wish by doing these Faction-giving missions?

Thanks for the information so far, by the way, it's helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sable Phoenix
    I've heard that some people have both Luxon and Kurzick armor for one character; I'm inferring from that that it's possible to switch sides in the game? Can you jump back and forth between sides as you wish by doing these Faction-giving missions?

Thanks for the information so far, by the way, it's helpful.
    Yeah, you can switch sides. Basically, let's say you do a quest that gives you 400 Luxon faction, and you've gotten 0 Kurzick faction. Now you can go to Luxon territory and talk to all NPCs there, including the armorer, but Kurzick NPCs will not talk to you. Now, assuming you have the materials, you can buy your Luxon armor right then, and be done with it. Then you may for example go do 2 Kurzick quests(giving 400 faction each for example), and now you have 800 Kurzick faction, 400 Luxon. The Luxon merchants and stuff won't talk to you anymore, but now the Kurzick ones will, and(assuming you have materials) you can now buy your Kurzick armor as well.

My way in the game was to:

1, Do all the luxon content and get all my characters to a point that allowed for a 10,000 luxon faction quest to be gained.

2. Spend this faction on jade / keys.

3. Do kurzik content and get all my characters to a point that allowed for a 10,000 kurzik faction quest to be gained.

4. Spend faction on amber / alliance

5. Only have 1 type of faction generating at one time as if you recind one faction you will loose the other one. Its best to have the other at 0.