PC Gaming News
    GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered1,000 Posts

Question about damage output

I have created an elementalist, and I have problems to understand why my spells do different amount of damages to different foes. I am level 9 now, and in Fort Ranik.

To clarify where my problems origin from: I have a mesmer, a necro, a ranger - all of them dealt more or less fixed amounts of damages. If the spell description for vampiric gaze for instance says that it's going to hit for 60, then this is the damage number I will see when I use it. I've also got a ritualist and a monk who never cared much about damage dealing. My assassin got trashed for this elementalist, but her skill descriptions were accurate, too.

So, here is my problem.

Lets take for instance the skill I was forced to start with: Flare.

According to the skill description, it should deal 41 damages.

When I hit a lowlevel plague devourer or an aloe plant, it deals obscene amounts of damage (up to 75, last time I looked).

When I hit a Charr Spellcaster of approximately my own level, it dealt 39 damages.

When I hit a Charr Warrior of approximately my own level, it only dealt 22 damages.

I need an explanation why it deals these variations of damage (level difference between target and me? armorlevel of the target?), and how I can estimate how much damages I will be dealing before entering some mission with a build that might be totally unusable because I only deal 10-20 damages with my skills?

Also, are there any guides about elemental vulnerability/resistance of the monsters? Am I right to assume that these vulnerabilities/resistances actually do exist? When hitting ice golems in presearing with fire skills, they seemed to take 2x the normal amount of damages. It would be nice to know if I could hit the Charr or other monsters for more than the normal amount of damages with certain elements, too.

So far, they took less damages than in the skill description with anything I tried (did not try earth yet, I have no earth offense yet except Eruption.)

So far, I'm quite confused. And the starter ele skills (Flare and Firestorm (!) ) don't really help me to appreciate the class...

Hi There, Welcome to GWO

I will try to address your questions. But mostly I'm just going to send you to an article in our Wiki. Mostly because it'll answer your questions way better than I can.
    http://www.gwonline.net/wiki/index.php/Damage_Explained

To address your issues with progression, yep, it does take a while to get a collection of really useful skills. The game will be shoving Fire skills at you for a while. The other elements get introduced much more gradually. Make sure to do all skill quests that you find. Elementalists take a while to get going but are a lot of fun once they do.

Thanks, Auntie I. I did not know this document about damages and will study it closer this evening.

Do I understand it correctly then, that the elemental type (fire, cold, lightning, earth) does not matter for the damage output - unless it's a special monster (ice golem <-> fire; fire titan <-> cold...; same as undead <-> holy)?

I thought these flares with only 22 damages against Warriors were quite disappointing, so I was hoping for better ways to deal with them. "Extra vulnerable to Cold", or something of that kind.

Thanks to my necromancer, who started out as a N/E, I have all elementalist skills from Prophecies unlocked. I bought the two Rodgort skills for my elementalist yesterday (because I thought that burning would be useful...), and they were more effective than Firestorm for sure... But I don't want to buy anything that I can acquire with a skillquest, so I am out of Attunements and a lot of other interesting skills for another long while.

Weird. This spellcaster class is completely different from the others: my monk could heal/protect decently right at the start, the necro could have fun with lowbie horrors or blood, the mesmer had no problems either. Only the Ele starts out with these sub-standard skills. How am I supposed to protect Alesia when I have the choice between 22 damage flares and a firestorm that does only hit 1-3 times before everyone runs away?
    Last edited by Lytha; 25-07-2006 at 14:49.

Yes, I would recommend against taking Firestorm with you. Part of the problem you are likely having is because of the "scatter" it causes. (Check out the AOE guide in the Elementalist Guides forum.)

I think you have a quest to go to Serenity Temple available to you now, I'd suggest that you head out that way. Along the way you'll pick up another quest that gives as it's reward Fireball. Very nice skill. Also don't idscount Flare at this point. 22 damage is very respectable. The Monsters scale up as you progress in the game. As you get more powerfull, so do they and their armor level goes up as well. 22 damage on a level 20 mob with 480HP is a waste of time, 22 damage on a level 8 mob with 340HP (I think I figured that right/ 200base + 20HP per level) is a bit more meaningful. Still the effectiveness of Flare does have a limit. Time to look at your secondary, perhaps?

If your in the ruins of ascalon, try using an other element, fire is good, but its good when you get meteor shower,fireball,meteor and that kind of skills. Water is pretty good to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie I
    Yes, I would recommend against taking Firestorm with you. Part of the problem you are likely having is because of the "scatter" it causes. (Check out the AOE guide in the Elementalist Guides forum.)
    Having enemies scatter isnt always a bad thing, some times its good to sae you fellow party members from constantly getting beat on. Or if there is always a person getting followed by and enemy they can run into a firestorm that one of their allies casted and eventually the enemy will go away.

It all depends on when and how you use a skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastsniper
    If your in the ruins of ascalon, try using an other element, fire is good, but its good when you get meteor shower,fireball,meteor and that kind of skills. Water is pretty good to start with.
    I have taken a break from my ele again... I admit that it's easy to discourage me from certain classes. She died in a pickup group with Alesia in Borli's Pass, and I take that as a definite "something in my playstyle of this class is terribly wrong" - the difficulty of Borli's Pass is so easy that it's really a bad sign if I die there while wearing the AL 30 armor from Ascalon.

It had happened at the first gate to be blown up: two people had a barrel, one ran just past the boss and the 3 nearby mobs for the gate, Alesia was about to get killed and we and the monsters were scattered all over the place. I was too busy looking for a group of monsters > 1 (so that my splatter effect skills were not wasted) so that I didn't notice that I was at 25% health and dropping. When I noticed it, Alesia was dead and my Aura of Restoration did not help much...

Though you told me that water was easy to start with, I had my concerns about that. On the one hand fireball, phoenix, rodgort's invocation (had bought that in Ascalon), flare - on the other ice spikes, frozen burst, and one other water spell. All with heavy recharge, and the only staff I had was some fire staff, meaning that some spell effects would end ("this ends when the target takes fire damage.")

Fire felt extremely awkward to me - I'm not the type who enjoys being the "soldier with the panzerfaust"-equivalent.
    Water and air would've felt even weirder, because of the small amount of skills I've had at that point.
    Earth had no offense (you can't call Eruption "offensive" when it shares the scatter properties of Firestorm.)

Elementalist is not a really easy class to just pick up and play it takes lots of patience and practice....but the end result is rewarding.

One thing that in my opinion Elementalist have to learn early is how to die and not go nuts about it...yes it sucks to die but......we have paper thin armour....and the Mobs are going to hit us most of the time in the begining (us or monks)

That being said we also have a lot of things to protect us. Besides just enchantments and wards ...the use of AOE can be a great tool when we are getting hit. I carry lava font a lot just for a defensive stop hitting me and make them run away tool

Over time with a Ele you will learn how to stay alive also. How to run past the warrior and drop the aggro off to him when you are getting hit. It takes time and patience but it can be a great class.

You also have to find the element that works best for you...and a lot of times that changes with the situation...basically it is easiest if you learn how to play all 4 elements so that you know how to play them if needed. This too takes time but, makes you so much more powerful in the end.

If you pick up your Ele again and start playing I wish you luck!
    Last edited by intent; 28-07-2006 at 18:09.

It's me again.

I have finished getting my ritualist to Legendary Survivor, so I had a free slot again for another attempt at elementalists.

This time, I started with a PvP elementalist, threw some "builds" (as in "I have no clue, so I just take a fastfire skill, a slower recharge but more damage skill, AoE skill, something else, and a lot of energy management") together for water, earth and air and harassed the training dummies on the isle of Balthazar a bit. I noticed that:

air (armor penetration)
    - does more damage to the 60 AL dummy than in the description
    - does exact the amount of damage to the 80 AL dummy as in the description
    - does less damage to the AL 100 dummy than in the description.

water and earth
    - did the amount of damages as in the description to the AL 60 dummy
    - less than in the description to the AL 80 dummy
    - far less than in the description to the AL 100 dummy.

I actually managed to frag the master of hammers, lightning and survival with the air "build", too.

So, I am back in pre-searing. I noticed that it's by far more fun if I actually use the 2 air skills that Ralena gave me. Before, I would discard them and just spam the flares and the firestorm - which is (to me) immensely boring. With these two air skills, I had fun to interrupt the mauling attacks of the bears and to blind nasty attacking bloodsworn bandits and skeletons. I'd say, this sort of variation might be the key for keeping me interested longer than only until level 10.

The problem is of course that I don't have a lot of air skills at my disposal, so I will have to split my attribute points - which makes me less lethal.

So well, I just wanted to say that I am on the elementalist track again for the moment. Maybe this time, it might last longer than to Borli's Pass.