PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    If you do copy, always state that you referenced, and give credit to the artist. This just shows the rightful respect to the artist you've learned off of. :) Just be wary of those that don't like to be copied, with given credit or not, if you choose a random person off of an art community or something.

Determination along with practice will take you a long way. Take critiques with grace, and don't constantly bash yourself. You'll just kill your motivation if you do. A few people said it, but I'll state it again, making simple 3D is a good way to start. Possibly study up on a bit of perspective while you're at it. Once you've gotten use to all that move on to more complex objects (fruit or random objects around the house work), then anatomy. It's a slow process with a lot of hard work, but it's really worth it if you are truly serious about becoming an artist.

Best of luck to ya! I'm sure you'll do great! :D

Quote Originally Posted by actionjack
    Uh...okie... Mr.Pennyarcade wannabe guy

I am just kidding... but I don't see why not to copy. Its the first step to get you interested in drawing... I mean.. why else you want to draw... because you want to be like one of the master, and their work, their art, has entice you to take the first step into the realm or art making.

Copy, but don't fix your self on it. Also learn the basic of pencil technique.
    Couldn't resist taking a shot at me? I wasn't trying to offend you. It is my honest opinion and there was no way of getting around it. Here is the reason NOT to copy:

In my opinion it is a classic rookie mistake to copy comic books (as well as a few other forms). The problem is that the comic book artist "may" have learned to draw using the copy method as well. This means he may not know real anatomy. Therefore he will make mistakes. When you copy -all of his mistakes as well as yours will be added together. Pretty soon it all gets inbred: One day someone may copy what you draw.

Also if you copy a style of art as opposed to learning how to draw from life, then it is hard to stop drawing in that "style." How many people do you know that can ONLY draw in manga?

If you want to be like a real "Master" then do what all of them did: they drew from life. Don't literally copy them. Copy the practice of drawing from life, but do not copy their work. You will learn more by making your own mistakes.
    Last edited by Derrick the Nomad; 31-07-2006 at 22:37.

How do you draw a sphere (3d) in a piece of paper (2D)?

Quote Originally Posted by Garreth MacLeod
    The same way you get anything to look 3d on a 2d surface... shading. It's not actually 3d, the way you make it sound, but with the proper tones, shading, and highlights you can get more depth. Thus, the 3d reference. :P

Hi KiddieCake. Your question is a rather broad one and invites some broad responses. Your comment about chibi makes me think you want to go for a more cartoonish/stylized look. However, I'll answer with an angle on realism because I believe that learning to draw realistically is valuable for any visual artist.

The first and most important rule of drawing realistically is this:
    Draw what you see, not what you think you see.

This is advice I've gotten from my painting teacher, from books, and from art forums. The human mind puts rules and patterns on everything that it sees, but sometimes these preconceived ideas don't match reality. It's important to put these ideas aside and look at things as they really are.

For example, consider the human head. Almost everyone will, at first, stick the eyes up near the top of the head. However, the eyes are really right at the midway point.

The second thing is my own personal philosophy that you need to understand the rules before you can effectively break them.

Consider literature. A competent writer can flout grammatical rules yet make his writing more effective because of this. He can write grammatically incorrect lines for an uneducated thug and in so doing help to characterize that thug. However, a junior high school student's grammatical errors don't add literary impact because they weren't written in conscious violation of the rules.

In visual art, I believe a good grounding in theory (eg, anatomy and perspective) helps the artist in deviating from realism in a visually pleasing manner.

When I was a kid, I used to play with He-Man toys, which came with little mini-comics. I used the toys and comics as models for drawing my own muscular heroes and villians. While I learned what the body looked like from certain angles and could draw those poses with assurance and speed, I couldn't really draw characters in inconventional poses because I didn't have a good understanding of anatomy. Copying teaches you to emulate the *surface* of someone else's technique, but doesn't give you a sense of the *foundation* of that person's technique. Copying can be useful, but you have to be careful.

Thing three: art is a personal journey. Look at your work critically, but don't get hung up on how other artists are better than you. What matters is that you enjoy yourself and keep learning. Kind of like GW PvP.

Speaking of which, it's time for me to get off the soapbox and go play some GW.
    Last edited by Lapin Diabolique; 01-08-2006 at 04:26. Reason: formatting

wow alot of tips etc, thanks!, i did some sketches wich werent good imo so i started again and again, trying to improve it myself

You need to realy begin with the basic shapes. i've got a real good website that learns you how you learn to draw in steps. This is how i started.
    http://www.bakaneko.com/

Draw from your elbows not your wrist.

Also try to draw with a pen sometimes so you practise being economical with your lines.

www.howtodrawmanga.com is all you need LOTS of great tips, even when you don't want to draw manga.

Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Garreth MacLeod

notice the shading? that looks 3D, but you're viewing it on a 2D screen, pretty much like drawing on paper

use the lighting to create your 3 dimensions, if you draw a face looking right at you, with a light directly below, the the parts of the face the light hits, will be lighter than the bits where the light doesn't hit (e.g, a light directly below will light up the bottom of the nose, but above the nose, will be dark, in my sphere ^^, the light is coming from just in front of the sphere, in the top left corner)