PC Gaming News
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Hold on a minute, aptaleon, the PCGamer and subsequent articles say the Asura fled underground to escape the forces of the Destroyer ages ago. So it is possible they built things above ground that then sunk underground and became catacombs. So while we know that the Asura are at least partially if not fully responsible for the construction of the catacombs, we don't know the means of this construction or the reasoning....yet.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius View Post
    Hold on a minute, aptaleon, the PCGamer and subsequent articles say the Asura fled underground to escape the forces of the Destroyer ages ago.
    Wait, what?

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Sorry, they fled underground in the Tarnished Coast to hide from the Destroyer, they were chased from other underground areas.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

You mean they fled above ground in the Tarnished Coast..Right? The Destroyers chased them out of their tunnels altogether, in preparation of the rise of their leader the Great Destroyer. Hence how we end up meeting them and whatnot.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Well it says they are in caves. Whether or not they are above or below ground, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Gamer Article
    You'll also encounter the Asura, a race driven from its ancestral underground home by the blazing menace.
    I think that pretty much clears that issue up. (Yes, I did just go and get the magazine for one sentence, so what? )

Sorry for my late entrance into this discussion, and for my long winded post i am about to make.
    After reading through this thread from the start, i keep noticing that reference is made to the catacombs sinking, or having been sunk in the past.
    In the hypothesis that was made by ShaneOmac back on page 3 of this thread, he believed that with the Kingdom of Orr being inhabited by Balthazar, melendru and dwayna, and the belief that necromancers and mesmers were looked down upon or forbidden, could it not be conceivable that the learning center for the followers of Grenth was infact built underground to remain hidden and avoid prying eyes.

With its location being set so far away from Orr and on the fringe or inside of at that stage another races territories, this would further ensure that their university would not just be stumbled upon. The practices of such a large number of necromancers, that a complex of that size would hold, would surely unnerve the general populous if it was in plain view.

If this is the case and it was intentionally built underground, then this could give raise to the thought that the mesmers also had a secret training academy dedicated to the worship of lyssa that has not been found or unearthed yet.

Inside the academy, you have the huge "bottomless pit" i beleive this was used as a "garbage pit" of sorts. With all the students and followers living underground and training you want to have a way of disposing of the excess minions, that the students would be learning to create. Else the complex would very rapidly be filled to the hilt. This way a student could summon a minion then send it over the edge once finished with.

Once destroyed the followers of Balthazar, Melendru and Dwayna would have to move further out into the world, once they reached Ascalon, or what would become Ascalon they would have found an area that had relatively few enemies in it, whilst at the edge of occupied territoies. As having a necromancers university would require that they needed a steady stream of corpses to practice upon so taking Grawl or Charr would provide this. This depopulated area would then seem like a good place to build a settlement.

I further believe that with the new arrivals of the followers of Balthazar, melendru and Dwayna that the followers of Grenth left to avoid persicution or discovery.

The placement of the Abby upon the complex I do not believe to be accidental as the power of Dwayna is especially effective against the minions of Grenth. I feel that they found this entrance to the university and built the abby there to keep in any servants or followers that still remained.

The placement of the statue of Balthazar is also I believe a deliberate act to "infuse" the area with the power and protection of balthazar, and also try to show a dominance over Grenth to those that were still in the area that know what lies below.

The placement of an Abbey next to catacombs just seemed to make historical sense to me. Catacombs IRL were used as burial sites for early Christians in some cases, so of course you'd build a church on them.
    IGN: Ranger Nietzsche
    Officer of 치 The Spearmen 치 [치치치치]
    NPC: Nichi the Ranger. Location: Halls of Chokhin. More responsive to flames than me.

I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

To be honest I've come to a different conclusion than the Catacombs sinking or being built underground. If you look at certain walls in the Catacombs they're slanted inward like they fell.

It almost seems to me like there may have been a small earthquake that shook up the building.

If the catacombs were built underground to start with and there were small earth quakes of other events that have impacted upon the stability of the ground in the area could this also cause a shift in the earth, causing greater forces to be exerted upon the walls and thus cause the slanting that you have seen?