PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    i don't understand a thing about SS

    i saw in almost every build of an SS necro that it uses arcane echo for SS but i don't see the use of it?? SS has a fast reload and it effects all nearby foes...

  2. #2
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Giggles's Avatar
    Server

    2nd star to the right
    Guild

    wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Posts

    4,094
    You're doubling your damage output very quickly that's why. Spreading it around in a mob much much faster than without archane echo. When you do it that way, mobs can drop staggeringly fast.

  3. #3
    yep, 2 times 37 for every skill in less then 4 secs, it easily doubles your damage in certain situations.

  4. #4
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    975
    It allows you to front-load your damage right now, in the hope that the enemy will be dead before you have to pay for it through recharge times and an empty energy pool later. As long as the monsters die before you reach that point, it hardly matters that you will eventually have to hold off on SS till echo recharges. Likewise, as long as things start to die before you run out of energy, soul reaping will prevent you from running out of energy.

    That said, Factions did introduce a few things that make SS-echo less desirable than before:
    1) Dual 20/20 items allow you to approach the refire rate of SS-echo without the recharge or energy drawbacks. (I'm not sure, but I believe it might even achieve a better average refire rate over the course of a very long battle.) (Of course, echo-SS plus dual recharge items gives you an even better refire rate, but tends to cost too much energy until soul reaping starts coming in.)
    2) Reckless Haste gives you something "worth casting" enough during SS's first recharge to provide a viable alternative to echo-SS. Since you can hardly afford the energy cost of echo and haste together, the existence of reckless haste forces a choice: [echo, SS, SS, wait 8 sec (longer if you didn't start with at least 42 energy), SS, out of energy] OR [SS, reckless haste, wait 8 sec, SS, wait 10 seconds for another SS or immediately spend remaining energy on something else like desecrate enchants]. Echo-SS gives you 3 SS's worth of damage in 16 sec of cast/recharge time, completely running you out of energy. SS-Reckless gives you nearly 2.5 SS's worth of damage in 14 seconds of cast/recharge time, plus the defensive effect of reckless haste and the energy to cast one more spell at the end of the chain if you want.
    3) The addition of timed bonuses and mobs that spawn right on top of you make waiting for echo to recharge, even between battles, a more costly drawback than it was before.

  5. #5
    oo i see.. so you cast SS on 1 enemy... then the arcane SS on another one.. so all foes in the area get double dmg from SS??

    if this is not it i still don't understand.. lol :D

  6. #6
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Giggles's Avatar
    Server

    2nd star to the right
    Guild

    wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Posts

    4,094
    Cast archane echo, then the next spell that is cast replaces archane echo for a short time.

    So the order you'd cast is, archane echo then SS. At this point you'd see what was archane echo now has become SS. Then you'd cast the copy of SS on another target near the one you first hit SS with (or anywhere else really). Thus doubling your damage if you're hitting the same mob.

    As mentioned above, wreckless haste is pretty powerfull to use in PvE as the AI doesn't stop swinging when it has that hex cast on it.

    The amount of damage that can be afflicted with this combo on a tight group can be pretty amazing.

  7. #7
    GWOnline.Net Member Lord Anthrax's Avatar
    Posts

    1,043
    Think of it as being like Firestorm used to be. Cast it on a group, that group takes x damage each second. Cast two Firestorms, they're taking the damage twice now for duration.
    Liessa Greyhaven (W)|Liera Greyhaven (E)|Lia Greyhaven (N)|Llyra Greyhaven (R)|Lai Greyhaven (Mo)
    Lysandra Greyhaven (D)|Lorelei Greyhaven (Me)|Lilith Greyhaven (Rt)|Leiko Greyhaven (A)|Lexis Greyhaven (P)

    "5% of all PuG's are great. 10% are okay. 85% make you wonder if humanity will survive another hundred years." -Jim 'sparkyman' Taylor, former GWO Guild Leader

    GWOnline Guild [GWO] - A Guild of the Week

    GWO Alliance - Home of Bacon and Win

  8. #8
    More specifically, think of it this way:

    You cast SS on target (A) - target (A) now causes (x) amount of damage to himself every time it does something. Every time (A) swings its sword, everyone in the crowd takes some damage.

    Now, you've arcane echo'd SS, so you cast it on the enemy next to target (A), conveniently named target (B). Now, (A), (B) and the rest of the crowd take damage when (A) swings its sword and when (B) swings its sword, effectively doubling the amount of damage the mob takes.

  9. #9
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Chthon
    That said, Factions did introduce a few things that make SS-echo less desirable than before:

    1) Dual 20/20 items allow you to approach the refire rate of SS-echo without the recharge or energy drawbacks. (I'm not sure, but I believe it might even achieve a better average refire rate over the course of a very long battle.) (Of course, echo-SS plus dual recharge items gives you an even better refire rate, but tends to cost too much energy until soul reaping starts coming in.)

    This is the Big one. Before, in prophecies only, it was difficult to obtain dual 20 recharge items. Hence the use of arcane echo. Arcane echo really speeds up your killing time. And, lets face it, as a necromance you can't tank and your utility kinda sucks. the only reason you are in the party is because you can help speed up the killing faster than other classes can.


    But your items do the job of arcane echo 36% of the time, making arcane echo a waste of energy during that time. And using arcane echo causes your energy to really drop fast. Given the chance to Arcane echo or Reckless Haste/Enfeebling blood (for the 64% chance of a non-fast recharge) It's not immediately clear that the arcane echo is always the way to go.

    I'd accept N/anything into a Pug as a SS Necro.

  10. #10
    Aecho + SS + SS + Desecrate + Defile = GG FOW. If the fight will go longer than 5 seconds (which it shouldn't) then considering putting in reckless haste.

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off