PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post A synergy comparison you could already be thinking of.PVE focused

(pvp is a whole different thing, i focus on pve personally, so if something seems wrong, it might be you have pvp in mind)

Right now i know many of you are thinking about the paragon's spear. The primary attribute does not directly effect spears, but the shout and chants can indirectly help. The paragon also currently lacks an Ias stance, but one may be made, who knows the elites and some skills are not avaiable yet.

When you first saw the paragon it probably seemed a lot like a warrior, adrenlin 2 pips of natural energy regeneration and some other things.

Many people are already thinking of great combinations, like the dervish/monk Some are thinking paragon/warrior and others too.

One thing i do expect due to the fact so many of the spear skills are adrenlin is that we will see mobile tank spear shooters. One edge they have over 16 spear mastery is their primary strengh, the extra armor penetration can help a lot.

In addition i can expect a lot of assassin spear users, heck there was critical barrages why not spear users? Well let's compare some of the con's and pro's of each.

And as we have seen, the pack hunter pre build had much popularity... most of it's power came from the fact it can spam spear of lightning, and have an ias to boost adrenlin build up.

So let's compare

Primary paragon

pros
    -not a one trick pony, has other skills from primary to help boost spears
    -has use of secondary for an ias or conjure x if wanted.
    -armor is better, only behind warrior
    -can use it's sheild unlike the pack hunter
    -can use the runes for spears

cons

-no ias stance on it's own
    -primary doesn't directly effect spear use
    -no pants, only weird skirt things (yes i think of that as a con >_>)

Primary Warrior

pros

-strengh increases armor penetration of spears
    -Highest armor and has skills to boost armor
    -Has an ias stance, quite a few in fact
    -has many skills that run on adrenlin as well
    -same energy regeneration as paragon and can be boosted to 4 pips like the paragon without negative effects from aria of power, aria of power is not needed really on a high adrenlin build
    -will no longer over extend
    -one handed spear keeps armor up, so you can deal with damage as most tanks that are not pure stance and or tactics i.e the average (tank)
    -has pants

cons

-cannot use aria of power to a good effect as primary can, but not needed really
    -most want you to tank rather than this, even though you still can really
    -has less vareity if using this
    -cannot use paragon runes
    -bad hex removal along with condition removal and dealing with them is pretty bad

Primary Assassin

pros

-primary directly effects for damage
    -higher energy regeneration and can use a combination of assassin spells to break aggro if targeted
    -critical eye can be used to add more critical hits.
    -won't over extend and die
    -has pants

cons

-may not have enough points left over to use sheild
    -assassin is still unwanted by most people
    -really another one trick pony if this is used
    -might end up have too much energy left over, but can be solved with using spear of lightning more or more spells
    -lowest armor tied with ranger, but even if you break aggro with something like viper defense or heart of the shadow you still have less evasion stances.
    - cannot use paragon runes
    - bad hex and condition problems

Primary Ranger

pros

-expertise directly lowers the cost of skills like spear of lightning
    -has many ias stances as well as evasive ones
    -1 pip extra of energy regeneration
    -already proven to be incredibly useful
    -has pants

cons

-usually will not have enough points left over to use a sheild
    -cannot use paragon runes
    -the spam of skills can usually get you destroyed by anti-melee type skills such as recklass haste with empathy and or spiteful spirit and other spells
    -one trick pony
    -cannot deal with hexes and conditions well
    -many will want b/p rangers for aoe damage rather than this

I might have missed some i was thinking of, being labor day in all i just felt like typing this while i had it on my mind.
    Last edited by critical vengeance; 04-09-2006 at 20:58.

Not sure if Assasins and Rits can go into Nightfall PvE..

Other than that, yeah your points make sense. Pure Paragon is awesome, but I guess a Warrior shout or 2 make life a whole lot easier.

Oh, and I can't WAIT to try out a beastmaster Paragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fownkaymownkay
    Not sure if Assasins and Rits can go into Nightfall PvE..

Other than that, yeah your points make sense. Pure Paragon is awesome, but I guess a Warrior shout or 2 make life a whole lot easier.

Oh, and I can't WAIT to try out a beastmaster Paragon.

ArenaNet/NCSoft did make it possible to take your Prophecies and Factions characters back and forth. Also they were heavily inspired by the card game Magic:The Gathering, and you can mix up the various decks in that. I see no reason why they won't make it possible for any character from a linked account to travel to Elona.

On a side note, I tried out the "Pack Hunter" (think that was the name of the BM paragon) during the preview weekend. It did good damage and using Enraged Lunge to gain adrenaline helped keep at least one of your spear attacks charged at all times.

yeah pack hunters were pretty powerful, i really do think lightning spear might get like a 4 second recharge or something a little higher.

but it was just a ranger/paragon really, not a paragon bm, which would have been cooler

Primary Assassin

pros

-primary directly effects for damage
    -higher energy regeneration and can use a combination of assassin spells to break aggro if targeted
    -critical eye can be used to add more critical hits.
    -won't over extend and die
    -has pants
    Spear Assassin might have some good points. The spear seems to be a good alternative to the bow for those that want a one-handed ranged weapon. That being said, female Imperial armor doesn't have pants.

>_> well that is true about the pants :P Still the trend appears that they try to give the female toons the least armor as possible while somehow maintaining the fact it can stop a sword going through you.

I think the critical barragers may have a better rep, well i guess it just depends, adrenline powered spears attacks might work out better in the end. We will just have to see how it goes i guess.

A/P wont work well.

Crit baragers work well only because one thing: Barage is multitarget and it has ultra fast cooldown. Remove this skill from build and its worthless. i playerd crit barrager, but imho its just niche that gets you party and helps sin progress in game, but its not efective build. (energy manamgement is way too much luck dependant, only good thing that sin can bring to crit barrager is bledding...)

Paragon spears (so far) dont have any multiattack skills, nether A or P have decent attack speed boost, and 12 vs 16 is huge difference (even with high crits, 16 in spears still offers more - bigger +damage to skills)

not to mention that sin will have to invest ~9 points to shield linked stat if he wants that defence.

Yes but an Assassin has more lockdown skills which could prove useful, and Siphon Strength might have a use (*gasp*) since there are now more physical attackers, and the crit is very nice...

still the combination of spells the assassin has to offer could mesh well with the spears, besides it would seem as if the assassin is getting some new skills in nightfall. There could be some great synergy. Later i'll post a concept build of something cool, i just need a while because i have to go soon.

A/P and P/A have no IAS skills.
    IAS alone increases base DPS and adrenaline generation by 50%, there's no way Assassins can beat that.