PC Gaming News

Poll: Do you download illegal media?

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Down the line

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran6 months registered5000 Experience Points

Down the line

This question is directed at the people who download music, television shows, and movies without paying for it.

You all know what I'm talking about - not the samples you click on at Amazon.com. This is about the entire soundtracks you can use bittorrent to download, the full albums that you can listen to which are completely free of charge at original level of quality.

Many of you have seen the public service announcements added to the DVDs you rent from your local Blockbuster or Hollywood video rental store. They pose a damn good question:

Would you walk into a store and steal a CD?
    Last edited by Scathelock; 15-09-2006 at 01:01.

10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

No, and I don't steal music online either. I do download legaly sometimes as it alot cheaper than buying in the shop imo.
    Also I don't think your question is of interest. Perhaps it would be more relevant to ask : "If you had a small undetectable machine you could hide in your pcket that would scan cds from a distance, would you go into a shop and use it?

GWOnline.Net Member
    I'd pay to buy a real CD if they were reasonably priced. NZ$30 is NOT acceptable for a CD when songs are available online for 99c a pop.

I'll keep downloading the music of "big" artists until record companies start charging a reasonable price for albums and giving a FAIR share of the massive profit they make to new artists, just like I'll continue BUYING the music of less "popular" artists online and through indie labels.

I'm not saying I download music exclusively to "stick it to the man", but its downright ridiculous that a CD can cost 20 or 30 times the price of a song online. I'm amazed record companies wonder why people have stopped paying exorbitant amounts for their mass-produced crap.

You're missing an option: It isn't illegal to download music/movies where I am.

It isn't. It's covered under Fair Dealing, and there's a tariff on all recordable media which goes directly to the artists to ensure that they get paid for their work when I download a song/movie.

10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by fefe
    You're missing an option: It isn't illegal to download music/movies where I am.

It isn't. It's covered under Fair Dealing, and there's a tariff on all recordable media which goes directly to the artists to ensure that they get paid for their work when I download a song/movie.
    oO what country/state do you live in ?
    They were talking about doing this in france but it was rejected in the end.
    oh nvm you live in Canada. Didnt know it was legal to download music there .

My personal opinion is that it's unkind to download copyrighted material. Even if the artists do get a sum of money, my opinion is that their music should be considered as belonging to them, if they want to sell it for extortionate prices then too bad I just don't buy and too bad for them they get no money. Just like in a shop if something is way overpriced you don't steal it, you just go find cheaper somewhere else.

And I see in Canada it is still ilegal to upload copyrighted music to P2P, hypocrisy for sure.

All that will happen is the next version of Intel processors will have DRM protection in them, to make it impossible to remove the DRM, even through sound capture. And in the end they will further restrict legal consumers.
    Last edited by eowen; 15-09-2006 at 01:53.

I wouldn't walk into a store and steal a CD, or car, or purse.

But if I had a device that could freely and completely replicate a Ferrari Enzo for my own personal use, you better believe I'd use it!

I'd do it myself if I wouldn't be running the risk of being turned in by my own family. :/

GWOnline.Net Member
    I do indeed download. But you know what else I do? If I like the music, I'll purchase CDs/merchandise. Not to mention I spread the word.

I don't know if this is "bad" but I ripped all the songs off my friends cds because we have the same taste, which saved me hundreds.

I belive that artists get their money from concerts and that actors gain their money from their movies showing on the cinema...

If i atleast know their songs i can be more tempted to go to their concerts. And i'm not surelly gonna buy a CD just for one song i like...

Illegal downloads is all about sharing... I share my CDs to the needy and the needy do the same with their CDs... If that's a crime so arrest me...