PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    crimson chancellor

Ranger in the UW

I happened across the UW last night so I decide to give it a try. I have a Ranger/Necro. I may change my secondary because I am not using any of my necro skills. I took as many of the henchman there with me as I could. It seemed as if I died in no time each time I went in (4 times).

Is there any advice for a person who is going there solo? I am not in a guild and do not have any other friends that play.

Should I maybe change my secondary to warrior or monk? I see these Ranger/warrior, Ranger/monk all over the place.

Any other general advice?

GWOnline.Net Member
    The only advice you're gonna get is: You can't solo UW. Not anymore at least.
    FoW is soloable, but time consuming. Run to forrest, get some +15 lighting armor and mantra of lightning (Of course u have to be R/Me) Check out the guide in the sub forum.

GWOnline.Net Member Quiet Lurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrslok
    The only advice you're gonna get is: You can't solo UW. Not anymore at least.
    FoW is soloable, but time consuming. Run to forrest, get some +15 lighting armor and mantra of lightning (Of course u have to be R/Me) Check out the guide in the sub forum.
    There are plenty of rangers that solo UW. There are a few threads on it. Try search and you get quite a few hits that describe a couple different ways to do it. IMO you should trap UW for a while with a trap group to make sure you know what is there and what the "safe" places are. After some experience with that you can try solo.

Side note: I did not think henchies could get into UW...am I missing something or was there a change?

Crimson you can trap in UW and groups are very common, pugs are generally good for this sort of thing. Most are pretty laid back and you can learn a bit if you indicate you are new to it.

You are welcome to PM me if America has favor and I can show you how to dual trap (its slow but effective) or if some of my guildies are on we can do a bigger group. Soloing is possible...search back a few weeks...there is a fellow who did it.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson chancellor
    I happened across the UW last night so I decide to give it a try. I have a Ranger/Necro. I may change my secondary because I am not using any of my necro skills. I took as many of the henchman there with me as I could. It seemed as if I died in no time each time I went in (4 times).

Is there any advice for a person who is going there solo? I am not in a guild and do not have any other friends that play.

Should I maybe change my secondary to warrior or monk? I see these Ranger/warrior, Ranger/monk all over the place.

Any other general advice?
    So are you talking about entering into the Underworld through Temple of the Ages or are you talking about entering into Tomb of the Primeval Kings ruins into the first level (which happens to be called the Underworld)? If you aren't sure, you pay 1 plat to enter the first and it's free for the second. Depending on your answer the above is good advice for the one you pay to enter while nothing is mentioned yet for the latter but I or another will if this is the case.

crimson chancellor
    Thank you for the information so far.

As for the henchmen they were standing to the left and right of the entrance. They are not the normal henchmen.

Any advice of my secondary profession? I do not use any of my necro skills. It seems kind of wasted to be a necro right now.

I am entering through the Tomb of Primevil kings.
    Last edited by crimson chancellor; 19-09-2006 at 19:31. Reason: spelling

GWOnline.Net Member Quiet Lurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson chancellor
    Thank you for the information so far.

As for the henchmen they were standing to the left and right of the entrance. They are not the normal henchmen.

Any advice of my secondary profession? I do not use any of my necro skills. It seems kind of wated to be a necro right now.
    Lol, that changes everything, you went into Tombs (TOPK). As a ranger your best bet would be as part of a b/p PuG. As part of b/p group you won't need secondary skills, but there are a few that can be helpful. A permanent rez from monk or rit is nice. do a search on barrage/pet and you should get all the help you need.

I have never heard of ANYONE solo in Tombs, but getting into groups is fairly easy.

There are many ranger builds that do not use a secondary profession at all, and when they do it is for only one or two skills.

Good luck.

Vallen, good catch on the Tombs first level being UW too.
    Last edited by Quiet Lurker; 19-09-2006 at 19:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Lurker
    Lol, that changes everything, you went into Tombs (TOPK). As a ranger your best bet would be as part of a b/p PuG. As part of b/p group you won't need secondary skills, but there are a few that can be helpful. A permanent rez from monk or rit is nice. do a search on barrage/pet and you should get all the help you need.

I have never heard of ANYONE solo in Tombs, but getting into groups is fairly easy.

There are many ranger builds that do not use a secondary profession at all, and when they do it is for only one or two skills.

Good luck.

Vallen, good catch on the Tombs first level being UW too.
    Thanks.

As a side note for Crimson, it's called Tombs there as UW is only the first of 4 levels. Also, you can find a comprehensive team build for the Barrage/Pet groups on the non-GWonline guildwiki site. Otherwise I'll give you the typical basics for it...

1 monk
    2 necromancers
    5 rangers

• Monk heals
    • 1 necromancer brings heals and 'orders' skills which adds damage to physical attacks
    • 1 necromancer brings minion set up (and hopefully death nova too)
    • between the 5 rangers they all bring barrage, charm pet, comfort pet, and a resurrect (reusable is preferred like rebirth). One brings favorable winds, another Winnowing. the remaining skills typically consist of interrupts, throw dirt, whirling defenses, pet skills, traps, etc. and one ranger is a designated puller.

Some rangers have zero ranks in beastmastery as it is used as a corpse generator only while others max theirs for a better wall and a quicker pet res.

Here's a basic build for you below. You can get into most B/P groups (Barrage/Pet) like this and can change it as you want once you get the hang of it. Just make sure to stay back and watch others if you don't know what to do.

R/Mo
    Stats:
    Marksmanship 12+1+3
    Expertise 9+1
    Wilderness Survival 9+1
    Beastmastery 7+1

Skills:
    Barrage {Elite}
    Distracting Shot
    Throw Dirt/spirit
    Whirling Defenses/spirit
    Troll Unguent
    Comfort Animal
    Charm Animal
    Rebirth

Hope this helps you get started. Good luck.

I was wondering something and to me it doesn't make sense but then again apparantly to the elitist trappers i'm a noob now. I went to join a trapping group and they asked me what spirits i used. I said none and so they booted me for no reason. Now being alittle yiffed at it i told him that you don't need spirits at all. I don't want to brag but it is possible to 2 man farm uw. someing mind telling me what Spirits are needed to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Archlich Necrosaro
    I was wondering something and to me it doesn't make sense but then again apparantly to the elitist trappers i'm a noob now. I went to join a trapping group and they asked me what spirits i used. I said none and so they booted me for no reason. Now being alittle yiffed at it i told him that you don't need spirits at all. I don't want to brag but it is possible to 2 man farm uw. someing mind telling me what Spirits are needed to do this?
    Yes, you can but it's much riskier with a very minorly better drop rate increase and it's slower. I have before. Spirits for a UW (not Tombs) group may include up to Quickening Zephyr (QZ), Energizing Wind (EW), Edge of Extinction (EoE), and Winnowing (Winn or Wow or Wnw etc.). Others sometimes include Earthbind and more creative ones. Usually if you aren't bringing any spirits I'm assuming you are bringing Serpents Quickness. The most common method for trapping uses Spirits though it's been debated if Serpents Quickness groups are more or less efficient. Group coordination is key and if you don't bring what the group needs you may get the boot. But then if they just boot you after asking what spirits you had then they didn't coordinate with you and are one of those "I'm in a hurry" people that don't want to waste time explaining anything and just want to "gogogogogogogoooooo". Overall, it's probably best you got kicked afterall as you probably would have not had much fun in that group anyway. I never limit myself to one strategy and I try to discuss group tactics when I can personally so I don't approve of what happened to you if I interpret your descrition correctly.