PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    milkshake

Completely new here

Hello,

I used to play WoW but because of the difficulty in leveling due to the grinding I thought i'd give GW a try.

My questions are, is the leveling better/easier in GW? Iv'e heard there is 3 chapters which if i'm going to play I will play all 3. Is there a monthly charge for this game at all, or do I just need to buy the game? Can I download the full game like WoW and have a free trial first?. Finally when you upgrade to chapters 2 and 3 do you get extra quests, places to explore and alot more game content?

Sorry if all these questions sound dumb but i'm n00b and would like to know. :)

This information is all available elsewhere :-) But to make it simple....

No monthly charge - ever. You only need to buy the game(s) themselves.
    Some players have free trial keys that they obtained when they purchased to game. Maybe one of them will be willing to donate this key to you so that oyu can try GuildWars out. There are also trials offered courtesy of some popular websites.

Each Chapter is an entire new game, and can be played independently of the others. You could buy Chapter 3 and play it without ever needing to purchase one or two.
    If you do buy all three, your characters are free to travel between all Chapters that you own.

well, glad you hopped over to the bright side :D

If you start GW i'd recommend to start with Prophecies, as it's the best one for now(untill we've seen NF full :))
    Levelling happens trough missions and quests but the game actually starts at lvl 20... it's all about skill to play, not time you play.

Idd the expansion give loads of new content as they are infact Standalone games with their own storyline, but still i'd recommend Prophecies to start with.
    You can download the client from the GW site, but no trial keys YET, Collectors edition from Nightfall will give a trial key to give t friends etc, so you might be able to obtain one :)

Hope i could help^^

As for the levelling:

Level 20 is the skill cap, but it is also where the game is designed to get interesting.
    Most of the content up until this point is more like a training area for the real gameplay. It is entirely possibly to hit level 20 within the first day of playing, although I would not recommend it personally.

milkshake
    Thanks for the replys. When you say that all 3 are standalone games do they offer completely new chars, maps, quests, items, etc? How big is each game would you say? I thought WoW was big but this sounds much bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by milkshake
    My questions are, is the leveling better/easier in GW?
    I've gotten my Tyrian (original GW) character to level 20 in an hour or two before, which is the level cap. Once you hit 20, you stop leveling, and the monsters don't. Skill based combat ftw.

Is there a monthly charge for this game at all, or do I just need to buy the game?
    Just buy the game, there's never any additional or hidden charges. Leave the game for three months, come back and your characters are all waiting for you.

Can I download the full game like WoW and have a free trial first?
    It's too bad, you just missed a big preview event for Nightfall, the third game. There were free accounts to try it available. There are, however, trial keys floating around. Someone might PM you one, or you might be able to find one somewhere. It lets you play for a limited time to try it out.

Finally when you upgrade to chapters 2 and 3 do you get extra quests, places to explore and alot more game content?
    You get an entirely new continent for your character to explore. On the continent are entirely new professions (like classes), weapons, armor, enemies, quests, missions, skills, etc. Enough content that each chapter works as a standalone game. However, most players opt to buy all three chapters, to get all the content and skills available.

Sorry if all these questions sound dumb but i'm n00b and would like to know. :)
    Well we all started in the same boat ^^

milkshake
    To use trial accounts do I download the client which is the first chapter? Is the client the full game or is it limited content?

I believe the Trial Key is for the entire game, but it limits you to 10 hours in game, or 14 consecutive days, whichever comes first.

The client is all three games. You gain access to a specific chapter by purchasing the key (or retail box) to unlock that content.

milkshake
    Thanks, once I downloaded all 3 games with the client can I buy all the keys online, or do I have to buy the CD's from the shops?