The Hero method of using unlocked skills, and the repurcussions of this on PvE, got me thinking... what if all your PvE characters were allowed to use all of your unlocked skills too ?
First, the shiny happy consequences :
* Quicker for experienced players to re-play PvE campaigns.
* Unlocking skills is never just 'wasting' your skill points and platinum on heroes.
* The skill points saved can be used to experience the lesser-valued skills or improve play with Heroes.
* Not going to be a big balance issue because a] everything up to level 20 is just filler for veterans anyway b] people will soon have 3 low level Elite-wielding all-knowing characters in their party.
* Players with limited resources have more money to spend since they are no repurchasing unlocked skills ( I doubt rich players consider this a significant expenditure ).
* People would be much more willing to re-make characters for a new appearance ( one of the top requests around here ).
* People would be somewhat happier in the event of character deletion ( is that a hot topic, I had not noticed ? ).
* Greatly heightened motivation for staunch PvE players to participate in PvP.
* Reduced tedium / increased satisfaction of skill capture ( yes it felt good to capture Feast Of Corruption, NO to ever doing it again ! ).
* For the above reasons, more people playing through campaigns persistantly ( I would not even contemplate a new Necromancer character considering the immense effort required to match my current one ).
And of course the dark clouds :
* Some current players will rejoice, some will most definitely not.
* The low level arenas will be even more imbalanced than they currently are.
* Re-learning unlocked skills is pretty much grind, but at least it makes people play more.
What do you think ?
PC Gaming News
Results 1 to 10 of 47
Thread: Use Unlocked Skills In PvE
26-09-2006, 22:11 #1
Use Unlocked Skills In PvE
Last edited by Walks With Angels; 26-09-2006 at 22:31.
26-09-2006, 22:18 #2
During the event, I still found Heroes too inept at actually using the skills.
An effective build still needs an effective player to use it (unless it's a touch ranger, but...), and I doubt Heroes access to PvP skill unlocks will have that great an effect on gameplay, especially with the Heroes' incompetence.
26-09-2006, 22:24 #3
Maybe have it unlocked for characters that have completed the game?
26-09-2006, 23:57 #4
As a guy who only uses PvE characters, I'd love to see a benift for me for Balthazar faction.
27-09-2006, 00:03 #5Originally Posted by The Pointless
a] Give them cheap simple skills and leave them to their own devices ( e.g. Cleave, Restore Condition ).
b] Give them complex skills and activate them yourself with each Hero's skill bar ( e.g. Feast Of Corruption, Echo ).
Those were 2 paths to happiness in the preview weekend, at least.
27-09-2006, 00:07 #6
If you play through the game with a w/mo the first time, unlock all but the elite skills, then unlock all the elite skills through pvp, then decide to go back and remake your w/mo (because you didnt like the face, skin tone, hair, name, whatever the case may be),
a) You're starting out with a Level 1 W/Mo, with all skills unlocked, and all those skill points you accumulate through the game are going to do absolutely nothing
b) You're starting out with a Level 1 W/Mo, with all skills unlocked. Sure, you don't have any attribute points invested in anything yet, but elites are still going to unbalance the low level areas a bit.
c) For those people who like taking it to the extreme, and unlocking every skill, for every profession, for every campaign on a single character, making a second character takes the fun out of being obsessive. Everything's already unlocked.
I admit, I wouldn't mind changing how my elementalist looks, but there's also some things you can't do afterwards, like get the skill hunter title if you remake a character and have everything unlocked. Can't pick up skills you already have. And the 1 plat per skill to buy? Only buy the skills you need, and the cap sigs you need, until you get the excess money to buy the extra stuff. If you have to, sell your mini-pet, or that extra 5-1 vamp sword haft that you were saving for a rainy day. And skill points aren't that hard to get, just do some quests, or some skill caps. Alot of people don't realize that they get a buttload of xp when they use a skill cap.
27-09-2006, 00:14 #7Originally Posted by ajoratiraj
What the OP suggests would only make it so that you could buy elites the same way, rather than go cap em with a sig. Why in this case, would people still cap with a sig? Skill hunter title of course.
This just gives the player choice.
27-09-2006, 00:22 #8
I would like to have access to skill on account only if i unlock it and pay for it.Fort Aspenwood and alliance battle are worst places if you want more skills and to try another build if you're pve.
Make char unlock skills and pay for them,change proffesion unlock and pay
but if i go back to original secondary proffesion paying again is not fair.
Fort Aspenwood and alliance battles i now play only with pvp char.
Don't like the build? Erase and make new one.Don't like that either make 3rd.
No cost for skills, free max armour,free max weapon,max lvl pet.
Either make same for everybody or make aspenwood and alliance pve or pvp only.
If you pick proffesion first time no change but after 2 years playing and unlocking mods and skills forcing me to go through game when pvp char takes 30 seconds to make new build with everything maxed on him....not fair imo.
Elites should stay as it is. This is just for skills from trainers.
27-09-2006, 10:54 #9Originally Posted by Kylden Ar
Originally Posted by Walks With Angels
Originally Posted by Walks With Angels
Again, I am definitely reading this as though you don't need to buy/cap any of the skills you have already unlocked on your account, your characters would just start out with them.
27-09-2006, 11:06 #10
Having to chase skills all over Tyria and Cantha is actually keeping me from starting new characters. Took me 5 hours to get my char from Cantha to Mineral Springs to capture Flourish, then i logged in with another char and realized I had to go to mineral springs too to get Flourish again with that char. No f***ng way I'm wasting another 5 hours of my life to go back there just to cap a stupid skill I had already captured before.
In case you haven't noticed, it makes me really angry. So much for "no grinding in our game".
Capped skills should be buyable for other chars. Limit it to level 20 chars if you want, i don't care about that. Just don't make me waste 5 hours of my life for a SINGLE skill every time i want to make a new char. This quickly adds up to several days when you try to cap 5-6 skills to try different combinations.