PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

White Mantle - Good or Bad? *Spoilers*

Sorry if this has already been discussed (probably has) but here it goes.

Are the white mantle really the bad guys that most people take them as? most people think they are bad largely for killing the Chosen in an effert to stop the flameseeker prophecies, but if you have completed the story line you know that the flameseeker prophecies arent exactly a good thing, further more they did try to keep the scepter of orr away from the lich and I dont recall them having any intention on using it.

Basicly what I think it comes down to is are the White Mantle evil or do the ends justify the means?

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Like any political system, it is hard to define a group as purely good, or purely bad. In rare cases, like facist governmental systems, such as those in WWII, we are able to define a good/evil deliniation. However, what is considered good, and what is considered evil are largely products of the people and cultures through which they are judged. Deviance is universal, but there is no universal measurement of deviance.

Thus, we can look at individual actions of the White Mantle and say "Yes that was rather mean of them" but we can never truly judge them good or evil because that is simply not how it works.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Nicely said.

Right, because slaughtering innocent people is so not inherently evil.
    Last edited by Sable Phoenix; 27-09-2006 at 09:10.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    They did it for their religion and for a greater cause. You can sit and judge that it was evil from your western point of view, but if you were an Aztec or a Roman, you'd be like "Well, good for them, they did what they're gods dictated!"

My point stands.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Sorry, but I don't think it does.

Whether culturally dictated or not, there are certain things which are inherently right and which are inherently wrong. Killing people who have done nothing to deserve death, for no other reason but that someone else tells you to, definitely falls into the latter, regardless of the personal beliefs of the murderer.

The moral relativism which seems to have become so popular in our society over the last few decades really irks me. There are absolutes in the universe. You can debate that gravity is relative all you like, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an absolute. The same applies to murder as an evil act.

The actions of the White Mantle, regardless of whether or not they believed them to be justifiable, were evil.

I suppose it really depends on whether or not you think that sacrificing a few people is worth saving the lives of thousands (millions?)

although, sacrificinf thme without telling them was kinda wrong, i have no doubt that in a worl like Tyria, if they had simply explained the situatuin, they would have had lots of volounteers who wanted to help save the world

Quote Originally Posted by Sable Phoenix
    Sorry, but I don't think it does.

Whether culturally dictated or not, there are certain things which are inherently right and which are inherently wrong. Killing people who have done nothing to deserve death, for no other reason but that someone else tells you to, definitely falls into the latter, regardless of the personal beliefs of the murderer.

The moral relativism which seems to have become so popular in our society over the last few decades really irks me. There are absolutes in the universe. You can debate that gravity is relative all you like, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an absolute. The same applies to murder as an evil act.

The actions of the White Mantle, regardless of whether or not they believed them to be justifiable, were evil.
    How about the Crusades, does this make Christianity/Catholicism evil based on your logic? You don't see anyone going around saying how "wrong" they were. Hell some people even praise them, does this mean these people are 'evil'? Were Germans evil because they believed in utopic ideas through the final solution? Were russians evil for thinking communism would be utopic? Were Americans evil for believing in Manifest Destiny?

See the pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius
    ... if you were an Aztec or a Roman, you'd be like "Well, good for them, they did what they're gods dictated!"
    The difference between the Aztecs and the White Mantle, other than one was a real civilization and one was in-game, is that the Aztecs knew they were being sacrificed, where as the chosen didn't have a clue. Plus, the Aztecs, especially the virgins, could always choose not to (simply become "unpure"). The chosen were "chosen" at birth.

Edit: But you are right in stating that the views of right and wrong are part of a culture. Most people that we see as doing something "wrong" do not see themselves as doing something wrong. Most see themselves as being good and right.

In all honesty if you knew when a person was born or tested that they would almost certainly cost thousands of deaths would you stand by while they did it or ask them if it would be ok to kill them?