PC Gaming News

Paragon: Guide to Chants and Echoes: Knowing your Vocal Art

Here is a Guide detailing the differences in effect between the various Chant and Echo skills.

Chant Types
    Anthem: An Anthem is a Chant that affects allies within earshot. Whatever effect is specified by the chant occurs when an affected ally uses an attack skill. The chant then ends on that ally.

Aria: An Aria is a Chant that affects allies within earshot. Whatever effect is specified by the chant occurs when an affected ally casts a spell. The chant then ends on that ally.

Ballad: A Ballad is a Chant that affects allies within earshot. Whatever effect is specified by the chant occurs when an affected ally takes damage. The chant then ends on that ally.

Chorus: A Chorus is a Chant that affects allies within earshot. Whatever effect is specified by the chant occurs when an affected ally uses a Shout or a Chant. The chant then ends on that ally.

Lyric: A Lyric is a Chant that affects allies within earshot. Whatever effect is specified by the chant occurs when an affected ally uses a Signet. The chant then ends on that ally.

Song: A Song is a Chant type that doesn't have a consistent enough effect to classify them. Read the description for each individual Song for their effects.

Echo Types
    Finale: A Finale is an Echo, which only affects the singer or a single ally depending on the skill. If the target has a Chant or a Shout ending on them, then the Finale effect will occur. Finales do not end after the effect has occurred.

Finale Example:
    Finales are also an Echo like Refrains, but are much more tricky in their application and how to gain the most benefit from them.

Unlike Refrains, Finales are not automatically reapplied, but with careful management, you can potentially reap a much bigger effect from a Finale.

Finales are special in the way that during their duration, they give their effect to the ally carrying the Finale, when a shout or chant expires on said ally.

It is here that having a spammable shout or chant with a short duration really shines. You can really milk the Finale for its power by using this technique. And is why Warrior appears to be a popular choice for a Paragon secondary. The Shout “Watch Yourself”, with 0 ranks in Tactics, lasts 5 seconds, meaning that a Finale with a Duration of 30 seconds will give it's effect roughly 6 times.

At 12 ranks in Motivation, Finale of Restoration lasts 30 seconds and gives 63 health to the ally each time a shout expires on them, allowing you to present a constant stream of healing.

Refrain: A Refrain is an Echo, which only affects the singer or a single ally depending on the skill. If the target has a Chant or a Shout ending on them, then the Refrain is reapplied, recasting it for free and resetting the duration on it.

Refrain Example:

A Paragon casts Mending Refrain on a Warrior who is the tank of the party. Mending Refrain is an echo, costs 10 energy and lasts for 20 seconds. Providing up to +3pips of regen.

Normally it would just run out after 20 seconds, meaning you would have to manually recast on it on the target. But! Since it is a Refrain, you merely have to cast ANY Chant or a Shout WITHIN earshot range of the target and have that Chant or Shout end before the Refrain runs out. Your ally will need to stay within earshot range but when the shout or chant ENDS the refrain that was cast on him will be recast for free, resetting it's duration and making it last longer, WITHOUT the Paragon needing to worry about it.

This means that you can essentially get Mending Refrain up on your entire Party and maintain it indefinitely, as long you keep reapplying them with an expired party wide Shout or any expired Chant. It is here that “Watch Yourself” shines, since it is spammable and only takes 4 adrenaline, making it a perfect tool to keep the Refrains running. Additionally, with high enough Leadership, you can cast 5 energy chants, or party wide shouts for free, and use it to keep the refrains going forever when out of adrenaline.

If you don’t want to use “Watch Yourself”, you could combine Mending Refrain with the EXCELLENT elite chant Song of Purification, which needs just 5 adrenaline and has no recharge. Providing virtual immunity to conditions (The effect of Song of Purification) as well as keeping up the Mending Refrains each time you use Song of Purification.

A support Paragon will be able to take a LOT of pressure from the monks once he gets started on singing.

Alternatively, if you want to be more offensive instead of offering defensive support, there are other choices.

You could combine the popular chant, Anthem of Flame with the Echo skill, Burning Refrain to really crank up the Burning your party can put out. Once all party members have Burning Refrain on them it can be relatively easy to maintain this as you will keep refreshing the Refrains with Anthem of Flame as it expires.

Each time your friends attack with a skill, causing burning, they end the Anthem of Flame Chant and reapplies Burning Refrain.

Anthem of Flame costs energy, meaning you don’t need to build up Adrenaline beforehand to keep casting it like Watch Yourself, and it will effectively be free at 10 Leadership.

Combine this with 'They're on Fire!" to reduce the damage your friends take from burning foes. Add in the superb Blazing Spear for even more fiery goodness.

Conclusion
    I thought it might be somewhat confusing for budding Paragons with all these odd sounding skills with such similar, yet subtly different effects. Prompting me to write this guide to the Vocal Arts of the Paragon, which I hope will prove useful.
    Last edited by Auntie I; 13-11-2006 at 21:25. Reason: Clean up english and grammar, Add examples

well having all those seem reallly confusing..... will have to look at a complete skill list.

NeferJackal, nice job.

Wondering if anyone could explain the whole chant reaply echo thing, and if all the chants stated above would do so on a "Refrain" Echo?

Next step could be listing the skills that are in the various types.

Would all skills be listed as renewing then for a Refrain? In the description I mean?

I played the Paragon in the preview, had a blast, and was totally supportive most of the time..... didn't get alot of skills to deal much damage besides Anthem of Flame and Barbed spear, good damage there. I'm thinking i don't want to go 100% supportive, due to playing with henchies I want to do some damage too.

one tiny thing...

(great posting though and upkeep :D )

I think Echo's are reapplied when a chant or shout "ENDS" not at the start..... am I wrong? because there are some really long shouts and enchants, that's why 'Watch Yourself' I thought would be godly because you can put hardly any points in Tactics and it ends well under 10 seconds... so that it would be then reapply any 10-20 second Echos.

snip from skill description

For 20 seconds, target ally has +1...3 Health regeneration. This Echo is reapplied every time a Chant or Shout ends on that ally.

another good thing is to list of skills that do work that reapply.... and maybe later list skills that would work at reapplying them?

Quote Originally Posted by Xycury
    one tiny thing...

(great posting though and upkeep :D )

I think Echo's are reapplied when a chant or shout "ENDS" not at the start..... am I wrong? because there are some really long shouts and enchants, that's why 'Watch Yourself' I thought would be godly because you can put hardly any points in Tactics and it ends well under 10 seconds... so that it would be then reapply any 10-20 second Echos.

snip from skill description

For 20 seconds, target ally has +1...3 Health regeneration. This Echo is reapplied every time a Chant or Shout ends on that ally.

another good thing is to list of skills that do work that reapply.... and maybe later list skills that would work at reapplying them?
    Yes, I got it wrong in the Refrain example, it should be when it ends, not at casting. But what I initially wrote was right. Could you correct it, Auntie?

You dont need a list of skills that reapply refrains, ALL chants will reapply Refrains when they end, and likewise for partywide Shouts.

Also you need to distinguish between the two echo types, refrains and finales. ONLY refrains are reapplied when a shout or chant ends on the affected ally.

Quote Originally Posted by NeferJackal
    Refrain Example:

A Paragon casts Mending Refrain on a Warrior who is the tank of the party. Mending Refrain is an echo, costs 10 energy and lasts for 20 seconds. Providing up to +3pips of regen.

Normally it would just run out after 20 seconds, meaning you would have to manually recast on it on the target. But! Since it is a Refrain, you merely have to cast ANY Chant or a Shout WITHIN earshot rangeof the target. Your ally will need to stay within earshot range but as soon the ally hears the shout or chant, THEN the refrain that was cast on him will be recast for free, resetting it's duration and making it last longer, WITHOUT the Paragon needing to worry about it.
    The refrain is recast when the shout/chant ends, not as soon as your ally hears it. That means if you Mending Refrain is running out, and you cast (shout) Watch Yourself!, unless WY ends first, your Mending Refrain will not be reapplied.

It might sound like I'm nitpicking, but it's an important point since it took me a while to realize this during the NPE, and timing it correctly becomes a bit more tricky if you have any significant duration to WY.

Songs: Chants that end on the use of any skill.

Difference between songs and anthems or arias and anthems (not that these would ever act on the use of the same skill):

Songs and arias trigger before most calculations relating to the skill use (except cast time in the case of dazed - the skills have to actually complete the cast, and skill effect calculation from weakness (in the case of attack skills, it is removed before the attack hits (so base weapon damage will be calculated with your normal attribute), but it will still use the weakened attribute to calculate skill damage), and hex breaker aria will not remove a hex before calculating the effect (if any) of the hex):

Song of purification + mending touch with 2 conditions on yourself removes the 2 conditions but you only receive the heal for 1 condition: Ergo, song of purification acted before mending touch. Likewise, aria of zeal + purifying finale + mending touch with 2 conditions heals you once.

Song + purifying finale + attack skill will remove the top condition on a character before calculating whether the attack should hit, weakness will be removed before the attack hits (tested using a 9 requirement weapon with a 9 attribute in the weapon and the skill malicious strike against the student of weakness), but the added skill damage will be as if you still suffered from weakness.

E.g. If you have song of concentration on you and purifying finale, and the top condition on you is blind, then you can use an attack skill to get rid of the blind.

If you are using a skill that relates to hp (for instance ravenous gaze has a bonus effect when health is below 50%), and you have purifying finale on along with a song, then if deep wound is the top condition, your next skill will remove the deep wound before applying the skill effect (so for instance with ravenous gaze you would steal only the first portion of health if it left you above 50% health).

How these differ from anthems: Anthems apply after the 'to hit roll.' Anthem of guidance and purifying finale will still allow an attack to 'miss' from blind for instance, whereas a song and purifying finale will always remove the blind first (assuming blind is the top condition). Weakness will also not be removed until after the attack has landed (but before it is then reapplied in the case of wearying spear).

P.S Sorry for the thread-romancy but it is a sticky and the best place to stick it (sorry again for the pun)...

Edit: Lyrics behave similarly to arias and songs: Purge signet with a lyric and purifying finale will not reduce your energy if suffering from 1 condition. This (as far as I'm aware) is the only skill it will ever really effect...
    Last edited by Bravo; 29-03-2007 at 22:54.