PC Gaming News
Page 100 of 122 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1215
    Well maybe you could tell what part you are stuck at?
    Last edited by Kalidri; 26-11-2008 at 19:40. Reason: response to trolling

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastsniper View Post
    Making fanfiction doesn't make you an actual writer.
    Putting down someone doesn't make you a critic.

Fanfiction is, btw, one way to start as a writer, and some have made a career out of writing fanfiction or book adaptations of movies.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Hmm how about introducing a new character and write a couple of filler chapters until you can figure out where to take the main story?

Okay, here's what I do when I get stuck on a project - take a break. Do something else for a while, forget about it, and when the time is right, inspiration will hit. You can't force an idea; it'll come on it's own or not at all.

I personally don't really believe in writer's block. Having written for most of my life, if I sit down on and write and tell myself to write, it happens. It is possible to have difficulty with a scene and to simply write later parts, but if you actually like writing and find it interesting, writer's block is really something of a myth. So, if you want to write, work on another part of the story and the part you are having problems with should fall into place.

Also, if there are further personal attacks on this thread I will lock it. Please keep comments constructive.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirai Annuvil View Post
    I'm guessing you're not a writer.
    He's the best writer that ever there was, just never got round to starting anything.

I'm about to spoil my own creative genius here and tell you a secret:

Up until you've read this I was the greatest minimalist art conceptualiser the multiverse had ever not known of.

-Art

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Karn - I find it hard to help out without any hint of what you are writing. On the other hand, I understand that you don't want to spoil anything.

I have two techniques to get around this...

1) Write the other parts. That might help structure what you want to say and how you want to say it for the part you're having difficulty with.

2) If you can, jot down anything that you do know you want to mention, if even just in bullet point. Make a plan. Fill in the text later.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I typically go about it from two directions:

Top-down: have an outline of significant plot points of the story and flesh out the surrounding events and characters when I get to them. Filling out details in chronological order helps maintain continuity. Otherwise, I need to frequently refer back to what I wrote before.

Bottom-up: write small vignettes of characters I care about. Pick and choose pieces to connect together later.

Having done part 1 of coming up with an outline gives a map of how the story will go, at least for the next few chapters. When I'm in a mood to just write things without worrying about integrating them into the story, I take the second approach keeping in mind that a lot of stuff will be throw-away material.

I think qin and alaris summed up best how do the story part.
    As far as dealing with the actual block, figgure out what inspires you best. Going out for a walk, going to mall or what have you, taking some sort of notepad and jotting down ideas as they come to you.
    Sleep sometimes does it as well, the hard part though is waking up and holding onto ideas while trying to write them down.

To be honest, I get programmer's block, too, but the difference is that I get paid to do that, whereas when I write, it's what I do for fun and relaxation. Since I would quickly be out of a job if I went to the mall or whatever when I'm blocked as a programmer, I work through it by focusing on the part that is simpler or break the harder part down into smaller pieces and just force myself to deal with it one nibble at a time. This actually works for writing, too.

However, since writing is a hobby for me, and not a profession, I also look at it from the standpoint of, is it helping me to relax or is the hook that interested me x months ago still juicy or interesting enough for me to continue with it. The other thing I'll do is chat with people who I know enjoy my work and get some input or encouragement. The key here is that it's a hobby and should be fun. If you're not having fun, then do something that is fun and come back to it when it feels fun again. Also, ask for help on your actual writing thread so that the people who follow your work and enjoy it can offer you more specific comment or encouragement.

Incidently, there's also a lot of discussion about what inspires and encourages us to write in the Writer's Lounge thread - stickied for your convenience. It's a good read - highly suggest it.