PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Scathelock: Love the rant :) I think about having a tiny rant on occasion. Some of the stuff that gets put into my fanfiction (Ultimate Warrior of the Gods, who wets himself when confronted by Mel) is definately rant-material. In general, I'll refuse to party with anyone with the names 'Lord, King, Emporer, Dogg, Super...' just because I usuallly know how that's going to end...with everyone taking a dirt nap and the person in question blaming the monk when he clearly aggroed the monsters...

Anyhow, I love a good rant, some things just gotta be said :)

Rant on, dude ;p

hehehehe

Mel

On levelling. Yeah GW characters level. I try to depict this by showing improvment though in one case I just HAD to show ascension (but I didn't make a big deal of it since my stories don't follow game storyline). On the other hand I like to think of what level my characters currently are and giggle to myself. In the current story Bayata aka "Batty" and Gos are quite low level. It does provide me with a place to start but as for the characters being aware of levels? No way...they just know they need to improve and learn more stuff or get out of the way and hide.

Fanfic Author set of skills:

Summon Spellchecker
    Banish Grammar
    I Will Rewrite You!
    Edit Signet
    Cunning Plot Device (CPD builds are fun!)
    Artifact of Woe
    Bad Childhood
    Ghost of Dead Parents
    Amnesia
    Bastard!
    For the Crab!
    Cute Pet
    Just try to hit me! (I am the main character)
    Temporal Chaos
    Plot Disjunction
    Just a Dream
    Almost Dead Again
    Fooled you!
    Summon Mary Sue
    Aura of Mary Sue
    Inkwell of Death
    Plot Rebirth
    Divine Visitation
    Prophecy Must Happen

Ack, everyone knows my skill bar now! I need to change it, quick, or I'll get pwned!

Don't forget

Echos of Remorse
    Oops, Did I really say that?

Eep! I recognize some of those...

Trying hard to not Mary-Sue, I do worry about Mel some since I want her to be her own person and not a glamorized me in necromancer armor. Hmmm. Perhaps a Mary-Sue Minion?

One thing I do try to do (although not always successfully) is give my main characters either a normal childhood (like Mel's) or a good reason to hold a grudge (like Gar's). Most of my charies will have had extremely boring lives up to the point where the story starts.

One thing you gotta remember about fics (and stories in general) is that they only hit the high points. There's plenty of boring stuff going on in people's lives. They aren't constantly adventuring in the wilderness, there's long periods of time where they go home and sit on the couch playing Ranger Television and drinking Hunter's Ale. We're writing about the glowing moments in between the boring.

Regards :) and sorry to get preachy.

Mel

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran6 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Melandhrian
    One thing you gotta remember about fics (and stories in general) is that they only hit the high points. There's plenty of boring stuff going on in people's lives. They aren't constantly adventuring in the wilderness, there's long periods of time where they go home and sit on the couch playing Ranger Television and drinking Hunter's Ale. We're writing about the glowing moments in between the boring.
    Actually, you may be correct about that in fics, but it made me think of how they use realism as a very effective tool in Neon Genesis Evangelion. In one of the later scenes, there's a part where one of the characters is trying to decide whether or not to kill someone else. For a little over a solid minute, all you can do is sit and watch in suspension of disbelief, wait and wonder if it will really happen. Even more beautiful is the music that continues to run in the background, neither overbearingly sentimental nor out of place... But yup, no arguments on the way stories usually focus on the more memorable aspects of life. ...I wonder how one would best portray a mundane scene without it being mundane?

Kalidri - yeah, I very much agree with the way you've "leveled" the characters in your stories, in terms of growing in skill and experience, like real people. I guess I was just complaining after having read too much crazy manga And I love the skills... I think I'll have to cap the Ghost of Dead Parents skill from you; I haven't ever tried using that one yet, not even in my brainstorms :)

But arguably in NGE he was the "Final" Angel that *had* to be destroyed.

Anyway...
    My favorite authors:
    J.R.R. Tolkien - The man is my personal best author--ever. He created a universe and a legend. Middle Earth paralleled my imagination to an exact point. When I entered sicth grade and discovored the Lord of the Rings series, it was like I had found someone who wrote everything in my wildest dreams. Tolkien holds a place in my heart forever.

J.K. Rowling - Yes, I'm a nerd - In fifth grade Harry Potter 1 came out. I read it, I enjoyed it, I've read every one since... multiple times. I'm avidly awaiting the release of Harry Potter 7 (speaking of which, I had a dream a few days ago about HP7 coming out [and I have many a theory on what may happen!])

John Grisham - A wonderful writer. He's my main spare-time author. His stories captivate you-anything that he writes can really happen. It's quite believable. My favorites include The Pelican Brief, The Firm, and The Runaway Jury.

Orson Scott Card - I can't do him injustice. The Ender's series and the Shadow series portray a child and his extraordinary life and growth. He affected everybody around him. It was touching.

Other Influences
    I guess this is a kind of shoutout section ;). Well, I'd like to say influences on my writing include, but aren't limited to, first, my family: Growing up in my household is tough, and you learn things from family that you wouldn't anywhere else. Next is Sarah, you've been there for me for what seems like forever. You're always able to see the best in a person--I try to incorporate a part of you in my best characters. You're one of the best people I know, and you'll have a place in my heart forever. Christine, for allowing me to realize the true power of words. You drove my passion. I miss you and I hope you never fade from my memory. Katrina, you're a person whom I truly admire. You're a strong and compassionate person who thrives on the joy of other people; you truly are amazing. Lily, one of my best friends, don't hesitate to kill me if you're made with my depiction of you (yes, I know, you're sweet and nice whereas my characters are all morbid, forgive me =]). My teacher, Mr. Bailey - words are nothing without a shape, and you taught me that. Your class is the one I've always enjoyed the most, and your teaching has allowed me to progress, thank you. All my friends who have always been there for me--I try to incorporate you all into my work. I love you all.

Writing Peeves
    I cannot stand happy-go-lucky endings. I think, in life, there is no true happiness, for in the end comes death. Life is a tragedy, and fiction holds no difference. I believe that Deus Ex Machina doesn't save a character--it destroys him.
    I also detest the creation of an omnipotent protagonist. There's no room for development, and the only thing in the world that cannot be developed is chaos. Chaotic supremacy does not go well in my book.

Dealing with Writer's Block
    I've found the best way to deal with writer's block is to go out, get a drink, watch a movie... slay a dragon... If you get writer's block, put your work aside for a bit. Come back later, the words might just come to you. And I must say, killing dragons truly does help--it's like gaining ultimate wisdom.

I think i'll have to confess to being guilty of the levelling somewhat. On the other hand, I did try to start writing around the game environment and try on occasion to bring such elements into the story. Not necessarily something I'd do in another situation, but there you go.

Oh, and Kalidri? You forgot Cliffhanger {Elite}

The elite version of Just a Dream:

Deus ex Machina [elite] For 2-3 pages something utterly amazing happens to a character. If not played well, Deus ex Machina backfires and gets you called a hack. If played well it introduces an interesting new plotline and new character development.

(ps I am very guilty of DexM but some things I just had to write because they got stuck in my head)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidri
    some things I just had to write because they got stuck in my head
    Yeah...the other thing that causes that is this:

Random Tangent {Elite Hex Spell} For 1...5 chapters, target author is hexed with random tangent, causing everything they right to have no relation to the rest of the story, simply because "it got stuck in my head and I simply had to write it down".
    Iphigenia Red Tide ~ Hiroko Red Tide ~ Huyen Red Tide ~ Midori Red Tide
    Proud member of The Boat Crew Oarsmen [boat]

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.