PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 122 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    I just remembered how much I hate expletives. Every type of them. I also must add that I love sentence fragments. I use them for emphasis so much that it's not even funny. Anyway, I just had to say that; it was on my mind :O

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok-
    I just remembered how much I hate expletives.
    Yep. Profanity is the crutch of the conversational cripple. There are times that it may be reasonable for a character to use them, but throwing them around every few sentences does nothing to enhance writing, or conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok-
    I love sentence fragments.
    That's the nice thing about creative writing...you're allowed a little leeway when it comes to proper sentence construction. Makes saying some things oh so much easier.
    Iphigenia Red Tide ~ Hiroko Red Tide ~ Huyen Red Tide ~ Midori Red Tide
    Proud member of The Boat Crew Oarsmen [boat]

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sable Phoenix
    Yep. Profanity is the crutch of the conversational cripple. There are times that it may be reasonable for a character to use them, but throwing them around every few sentences does nothing to enhance writing, or conversation.
    Oh, I didn't mean expletives as in profanity. I think some literature is enhanced greatly by obscenities/profanity, but the field's very limited. Some things are better left unsaid, whereas sometimes saying it burns the image into someone's mind. I meant like, text expletives, starting a sentence with "There is" or "There are" (in formal writing only, not conversational). It's weak and gives no emphasis into the work.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicpollution
    That's the nice thing about creative writing...you're allowed a little leeway when it comes to proper sentence construction. Makes saying some things oh so much easier.
    I can't agree more. I hate having to have an action verb in every sentence. It's quite annoying. There are only so many verbs I can use!!!!

I was listening to my coworkers talking and registering whether they talk in complete sentences or not. They don't. I find this especially true of my fellow west coast Americans where valley speak has removed syllables and replaced them with gems like "y'know, like, dude" etc. I listened to a whole exchange regarding a database that consisted of "see?" "Like see it?" "Like that is ****ed up, dude!" "Uh huh!" "y'know?". Not sure whether to embrace my roots (born in South Cali) or be somewhat sad about spoken language...

Edit...wishes current build would finish so she can go home. Wants to play. Wants to write...grrrrrr

I live in Georgia currently (and I'm glad to say I haven't got the accent), and it's probably worse here than in South Cali. There are A) The people who can't use grammar. B) The people who refer to everyone, this goes for just-one-person as well, as "y'all." C) Who can incorporate the word "Aint" into any sentence. D) Who can use 4+ double negatives in a single sentence, and E) All of the above.

It's quite sad, really, but it's colloquial, and that's different from written language. Written should be proper, and in the end, read the same. Colloquial is all different. All the time.

I notice that when I write, I speak better. When I take a break from writing, the rednecks I live around (in Oklahoma) rub off on me and I speak like a hillbilly. I hate sounding ignorant, but listening to them when I'm not writing things out eventually makes things come out of my mouth that I cringe when I hear.

~Mel

Unintended Consequences (illusion magic) The writer is deluded, and for 1..10 fanmails that praise said author for plot device that author thought would be disgusting/gross/horrifying. Readers thought said plot device was sweet/cute/endearing.

For those of you that caused this post: I love your fan mail. Please don't stop sending it. I laughed so hard when I read your posts that tears were literally coming out, and there was some danger of losing coke onto the keyboard through my nose. Thanks for reading :) I love you all :).

*huggles muchly*

~Mel

Friendly Mod says:

If you still have duplicate posts in your threads from the great and terrible crash of GWO and would like them removed, please tell her and she will happily remove them for you.

Cheers.

*waves*

Forum seems very quiet, just checking up on folks :D

I am hoping that everyone is just enjoying Nightfall and that you are all coming back soon! I am starting to get jittery without my fix of stuff to read!