PC Gaming News

Thread: +1 marks grip

GWOnline.Net Member

+1 marks grip

First what is available (I am using 17%chance while using skill)???

Secondly and most important----

I have recently read that a marks higher than the bow req is pointless as it does not increase the bows damage output. So that being said is the increase of +1 going to creat a huge difference to any skill that it is worth having. I figure I would be lucky to get a max 2 DPs more is it really worth it??

in the end if a marks +1 is worthless is there an offensive grip worth getting??

Quote Originally Posted by stumagoo
    First what is available (I am using 17%chance while using skill)???
    Maximum is +1; 20%
    Quote Originally Posted by stumagoo
    Secondly and most important----

I have recently read that a marks higher than the bow req is pointless as it does not increase the bows damage output. So that being said is the increase of +1 going to creat a huge difference to any skill that it is worth having. I figure I would be lucky to get a max 2 DPs more is it really worth it??

in the end if a marks +1 is worthless is there an offensive grip worth getting??
    Increasing marks above the bow requirement will increase the damage output. Therefore, if your main damage comes from the bow you want it as high as possible.
    The increase in damage comes from three factors.
    - Your baseline increases, so for given AL of the foe your attacks deal more direct damge.
    - Your chance to score a critical hit increases.
    - The skills from the marks line add higher damage.

As for the +1 grip, the difference is not "huge" but it is certainly a difference.

You'll get some discussion in the +1 Marksmanship (or any weapon mastery for that matter) has any value over Defense or Fortitude.

Personally I like having a weapon or two with weapon mastery mods. These are for builds that attack skills come quick and fast. Barrage builds I almost feel it's a must to poor in a couple extra points of damage every couple seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ze Boulon
    Increasing marks above the bow requirement will increase the damage output. Therefore, if your main damage comes from the bow you want it as high as possible.
    The increase in damage comes from three factors.
    - Your baseline increases, so for given AL of the foe your attacks deal more direct damge.
    - Your chance to score a critical hit increases.
    - The skills from the marks line add higher damage.
    As for the +1 grip, the difference is not "huge" but it is certainly a difference.
    yes. well stated. my main PvP bow has a max marks grip and i use Punishing Shot alot. it has definitely made a difference in finishing off an opponent for me. i've done as much as 70+ dmg on an unenchanted caster with one shot with a lower than usual marks att.

GWOnline.Net Member
    so please set me straight. as I said I read in guildwiki that having marks higher than req does not increase the bows damage output. Is the author of that thread full of it or has it been altered since maybe he posted or is he correct. I do feel myself I hit harder (my main build is a 16 marks build) but I wonder if I am wasting my time??.

BTW I do try/have other builds I just go back to the 16 marks for solo farming.

stumago,
    The author is "right" but the statement is misleading, thus your confusion.
    The base damage of any weapon is reached once you fulfil the requirements and will not increase above the liseted value if you increase the marks attribute (e.g. 15-28 for max.).
    But your damge output does include more factors than only the base damage of the bow.
    For the rest, refer to my post above or, if you want to know more about damage, check here.

GWOnline.Net Member
    thanks for the info then ppl its great that others are here to let us noobs know the ins and outs.
    My next question then would be.. would a sundering mod be more effective for damge output than a marks +1 seeing as they both max at 20%? (BTW I am aware there is a thread currently on the sundering mod I just didnt want to hijack his thread for my own questions)

Well, you are aware you compare a grip to a string.
    The +1 grip is the only suffix, that adds damage to all creatures.
    I cannot give you a figure but with the conditions on the grip it is certainly less than what you can get from a string.

Most rangers prefer the grips that give +30 HP or + defense as this in unconditional. But if defense or HP is not your concern the +1 grip is the only option to squeeze out some more damge from a grip. (except if you want to hit only plants e.g. then you go for "pruning")

As for a reasonable string for you do a search before you jump on a conclusion.
    The only thing to know, the 20/20 sundering is shamelessly overrated on the market.

GWOnline.Net Member
    of course I should have known that... thats why all my strings are elemental vampiric or poison... hang on a second I shallbang my thick head against the floor for a while.

thump thump thump

yep I guess I am an idiot (the bow I use was a sundering bow originally as well I added the lightning string.)