PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

*Five-Star* non-elite skills

- Are there some skills you like to use that you think are so good, you end up trying to fit it on as many different builds as you can (even for different primaries )?

- Something where its positives seem to greatly outweigh any of its negatives?

- A skill that seems to work well on almost any set-up that can accommodate it, and a skill you kind of miss having when you are forced to play a build without it?

- Something so good, that it's better than a lot of elites?

- Maybe it's a skill used by other classes that you don't play, but you still give it the highest props for being exceptionally effective?

That's what was going through my mind when I tried coming up with what I believe to be *Five-Star* non-elite skills. These are skills that just feel complete in how they currently operate on the PvP battlefield. Cost, recharge, activation time and general effectiveness seem to come together just right for it.

I'm not counting Nightfall skills since they are subject to change more than anything else (ahem, Toxicity), but for all the rest there are a few that seem to stand out as being very, very good for general use or a specific effective build, even though no skill is perfect.

I left a lot of very good choices off the final list of my selections, but here's my first draft:

============================================

Mesmer
    Distortion
    Drain Enchantment

Ritualist
    Resilient Weapon
    Union

Elementalist
    Blinding Flash

Ranger
    Distracting Shot
    Savage Shot

Warrior
    Sprint
    Bull's Strike
    Executioner's Strike

Monk
    Contemplation of Purity
    Divine Boon
    Guardian
    Reversal of Fortune

Necro
    Plague Touch (melee classes)
    Vampiric Bite/Touch (for Rangers)

Assassin
    Twisting Fangs
    Siphon Speed
    Dark Escape (for non-melee classes)

============================================

I didn't pick quite a few since they were too dependant on support from other skills to really shine. Agree or disagree? What does your list look like?

The Warrior list should definitely include Frenzy, I'll never enter PvP without it.

Oh and for Elementalists I'd add in Heal Party, it's one of their best spells without question

Warrior :

Crushing Blow
    Bulls Strike
    Frenzy
    Watch Yourself
    Final Thrust
    'shock'

Ranger :

Savage Shot (imbanerfplz)
    Distracting Shot
    Debilitating Shot (more nerf plz)
    Apply Poison

Elementalist

Ward Against Melee
    Ward Against Foes
    Obsidian Flame
    Blinding Flash
    Gale
    Lightning Orb (i like my lorbs)
    Deep Freeze

Mesmer

Distortion
    Diversion
    Signet of Humility
    Mantra of Persistence
    Blackout

Necromancer

Shadow of Fear
    Reckless Haste
    Rotting Flesh
    Shadow Strike! (lawl)

Monk

Reversal of Fortune
    Divine Boon
    Mend Condition
    Dwyna's Kiss (spell?)
    Healing Seeeeed
    Protective Spirit
    Spirit Bond

Ritualist

Shadowsong (wtfimba?)
    Weapon of Warding (v. nice)

Assassin

Dark Escape
    Return
    Unsuspecting Strike
    Horns of the Ox
    Twisting Fangs

Can't think of any others off the top of my head. Those are the nice skillz though

Warrior

Bulls Strike
    Final Thrust
    Frenzy
    Rush

Ranger

Savage Shot
    Distracting Shot
    Debilitating Shot
    Nature's Renewal
    Seeking Arrows

Elementalist

Gale
    Deep Freeze

Mesmer

Distortion
    Drain Enchantment
    Shatter Enchantment
    Blackout
    Power Leak

Necromancer

Shadow of Fear
    Malaise
    Plague Touch

Monk

Mending
    Reversal of Fortune
    Gift of Health
    Protective Spirit

Ritualist

Shelter

Assassin

Dark Escape
    Return
    Twisting Fangs

From top of my head too.
    Last edited by sahlakh; 17-10-2006 at 10:10.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Of the skills not already listed.

I'd definately add inspired hex for mesmers. That skill is hands down the preferred hex remover in the game right now.

I dont think that any necromancer skills qualify. Plague touch if you must (though this will be outclassed by nightfall)

Shock and blinding flash also qualify for elementalists.

As for monk, there are a lot: basically all skills on the boon prot, WOH, and blessed light builds would qualify. Good skills are the reason why monks are the most popular primary and the most popular secondary.

I waffled back and forth on Shock. Not sure why I left it off in the end. Same with Nature's Renewal. I'm no Ranger but I can't discount it's function for many Ranger builds.

I purposely left off Diversion and Black Out because even though they are GREAT skills, they don't feel independant and versatile to me... you have to make sure it fits rather than add it anywhere. However I think both of those are among the Mesmers best skills when they are in the right set up. Sig of Humility was put on/off/on/off for the same reason, but it really has to have Mantra of Inscriptions to shine.

Ele cast times or recharge times affected my choices for them. They have a lot of stuff that is nice, but short of a five-star rating. Necro skills for them selves either have energy cost issues, sacrifice issues, or just low impact issues. Sure enough, these two classes don't see as much action as some of the other highly rated professions except for narrow purposes.

Warriors and Monks on the other hand have quite a few tip-tier skills, most seem to agree. Any wonder why they are the most essential classes in the game right now?

Nekretaal, I agree with most of what you say but feel differently on two items. The Vamp Bite/Touch skills are so effective in their simplicity for a Ranger that I have to add it in the Necro list. Something that is bordline nerfable for so many deserves to be mentioned.

I personally never cared as much for Inspired Hex as some, but I may be in the minority. The recharge keeps it at merely "very good" for me even though the energy gain is nice. I would put Hex Breaker ahead of IH for consideration, which would be on my list if it still had a 5s recharge like last year.

Arena.net could do a lot more in giving some of these classes more "must have" skills that complement their abilities. There are some Nightfall skills coming up that look good enough to be added here, but some people are calling for nerfs because they look a bit strong. More classes (besides Monks and Warriors) need efficient impact skills that are also versatile IMHO. What if Blood Renewal was a 10% sacrifice instead of 25%? Or if Vampiric Gaze returned +1E for every four points invested in Soul Reaping? Stuff like that would give "lesser" classes a nice boost.

Quote Originally Posted by arredondo
    I personally never cared as much for Inspired Hex as some, but I may be in the minority. The recharge keeps it at merely "very good" for me even though the energy gain is nice.
    This I understand. I always like Smite Hex in a Boon prot since it recycled 5 seconds earlier plus triggered Divine Boon and favor for a heal. In the end though most people want the free hex removal with a small energy gain.

Quote Originally Posted by arredondo
    Warrior
    Sprint
    If this is a 5 star non elite what will Dervish's Harrier's Haste be when Nightfall is released?

Quote Originally Posted by Aire
    Ranger :

Savage Shot (imbanerfplz)

Debilitating Shot (more nerf plz)
    Can see the point here, but the protest to changing either would be immemse.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddah
    This I understand. I always like Smite Hex in a Boon prot since it recycled 5 seconds earlier plus triggered Divine Boon and favor for a heal. In the end though most people want the free hex removal with a small energy gain.

If this is a 5 star non elite what will Dervish's Harrier's Haste be when Nightfall is released?

Can see the point here, but the protest to changing either would be immemse.
    Eh, there was a big thing about nerfing Savage Shot a while ago... i still think it should've been changed because it IS kinda ridiculous (5s recharge interrupt doubling as spike skill... right) but for some reason ANet wanted rangers to be that annoying. After a while people realized just how annoying and now you see the mass conditions/interrupts/debilitating rangers all over the place. And i agree, the protest would be immense, but then again it didn't stop them to do some other changes before. They don't have to destroy the skills, but why is Punishing Shot, the elite, on 8s recharge when Savage Shot, the non-elite, is on 5s recharge and does MORE damage if it interrupts a spell? I mean, if i have 1 skill slot and no elite taken and i want an extra interrupt and i have the choice between Punishing and Savage... i'll take Savage.

I agree with Harrier's Haste too ^^ Dervish got pretty awesome running skills. Featherfoot Grace is pretty damn awesome too considering it's not a stance! But there will be rebalancing in Dervish running skills, i mean... compare Enchanted Haste with Harrier's Haste and laugh. Harrier's Haste is superior in EVERY way (bonus effect, no condition for the running speed, faster recharge, same duration/ecost...)

I'd give Distracting Blow to warriors too, it's a skill i always wanna fit in builds. So useful.

Drain Enchantment
    Inspired Hex

Armor of Mist

Faintheartedness

GWOnline.Net Member
    Savage Shot (probably the best skill in the game imo)
    Distracting Shot
    Power Drain
    Gale
    Dark Escape